Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 10:33 AM

186 posts, read 795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
The bathrooms and the kitchen are only 4 years old.I could change the countertops. They are only 4 years old, but are made of laminate. I did think about doing granite, but when I priced it just for the kitchen it was $4K.
What other suggestions do you have for the kitchen or bathrooms? We just changed all the faucets out in the entire house and put top quality, nice looking ones in. We also have added some very nice hardware to all of the cabinets. Now that you mention it, I bet the pictures don't even reflect that! Yep, they don't. Even though our home has only been listed about 4 months, we have done a few changes. I really need to update the pics to show that. LOL
Sorry I'm a bit late in replying to your question. I updated a small bathroom in my house with a new vanity and granite countertop with undermounted sink from a big box store. The countertop came with the sink already attached, and although I'm not a big fan of granite, just this small improvement for about $400 made a big difference. Actually, I don't have any good suggestions for a new kitchen countertop, especially as granite is so costly. I might say that I'd avoid installing granite tiles though because it always ends up looking like a cheap job. Someone here probably has a better idea of what to do.

Any chance of resurrecting one of the best offers you received and trying to come to an agreement.....split the difference perhaps, or sweeten the deal in order to reach the profit you hope for? Apologies if I'm behind the news on this thread! Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:35 AM

12,628 posts, read 32,114,094 times
Default OK, so here it is.....

Here are a few of the things I've done to stage my home. I'm still working on it, but I'll update pics as it gets done. What do you think of the new pics?
Attached Thumbnails
Having difficulty with getting buyers to view my home-new-living-room-pic-001.jpg   Having difficulty with getting buyers to view my home-ne-house-stagging-pics-006.jpg   Having difficulty with getting buyers to view my home-new-stagging-pics-2-002.jpg   Having difficulty with getting buyers to view my home-new-stagging-pics-2-007.jpg   Having difficulty with getting buyers to view my home-new-stagging-pics-2-012.jpg  

Having difficulty with getting buyers to view my home-kitchen-2-002.jpg  

Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,109,835 times
Beckycat,

MUCH better! A few things I noticed...

Put some fresh flowers on the dining room table. They don't have to be expensive. Maybe even a potted begonia or if you have enough indirect light, a gardenia or a potted mini-rose would work as well.

Steam out the wrinkles on the comforter. I know it seems petty, but it caught my eye and distracted me fromt he remainder of the room. A little handheld travel steamer is under $10 a Target and will work great for this.

Not sure what the brown stuff is along the floor in the photo of the toilet, but either fix it or use a different photo--that turned me off big time.

Hide the bowl brush in the photo of the other bathroom.

How did you cover the nail holes in the walls where you took all the photos down?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 AM

Default kitchen 2

Here is the new kitchen pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Having difficulty with getting buyers to view my home-kitchen-pic-2-005.jpg  

Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 AM

982 posts, read 1,102,094 times
Oh, Becky, the pics are beautiful.

I noticed the brown too. Maybe it's the picture?

I would also get some fluffier pillows for your bed's shams.

Any chance you can change out the heavy drapes for something sheer that would let in more light? The drapes are beautiful, but by the pictures the house seems kind of dark. Could be the time of day that you took them, too.

BEAUTIFUL! Great job!!

ETA: Oh, and maybe take the vase in the bathroom and put it on the vanity instead of covering the window? I've always heard you shouldn't cover windows???? LOL! Maybe in the bathroom, one would want to cover windows!!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,701,472 times
I get what you are all advising Becky to do. But is a fluffier pillow really going to make a difference? Ironing bed sheets the deal breaker?

I don't know. Just seems like petty things and as a buyer have ZERO bearing on my purchase.

I agree about taking the vase off the window and putting it on the bathroom vanity. It will put more light into the room, and add some "pizzaz" to the vanity.

You might also want to add a third hand towel or even a face cloth with the point hanging down over the existing towels, I know it sounds petty, but it would fill in the space and not cost anything.

The kitchen looks great!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
Oh, Becky, the pics are beautiful.

I noticed the brown too. Maybe it's the picture?

I would also get some fluffier pillows for your bed's shams.

Any chance you can change out the heavy drapes for something sheer that would let in more light? The drapes are beautiful, but by the pictures the house seems kind of dark. Could be the time of day that you took them, too.

BEAUTIFUL! Great job!!

ETA: Oh, and maybe take the vase in the bathroom and put it on the vanity instead of covering the window? I've always heard you shouldn't cover windows???? LOL! Maybe in the bathroom, one would want to cover windows!!

Thanks! Actually those are sheers! The comforter has a design on it and its satin, so it doens't look wrinkled to me. I did see the toilet brush too, I will remove that. I can't get a good pic of the downstairs bath without the brown mark. It's actually the putty to seal the seam. I could always get some neutral rugs.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
I get what you are all advising Becky to do. But is a fluffier pillow really going to make a difference? Ironing bed sheets the deal breaker?

I don't know. Just seems like petty things and as a buyer have ZERO bearing on my purchase.
It adds to "curb appeal."

One thing that will turn me off about a house is a sloppily made bed in teh photos. I think "If they didn't bother to even make teh bed neatly when they knew the photos were going to be taken, what else ahven't they bothered to keep up in the house?" In a buyers market something that small might make me not bother to look at that house.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Thanks! Actually those are sheers! The comforter has a design on it and its satin, so it doens't look wrinkled to me. I did see the toilet brush too, I will remove that. I can't get a good pic of the downstairs bath without the brown mark. It's actually the putty to seal the seam. I could always get some neutral rugs.
Either buy an inexpensive rug that will fit around the toilet, or squat down to take the photo so you can keep the bottom of the toilet out of the shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate