Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordula View Post
I've had many different kinds of tuna and they all taste the same to me. Actually, the recipes I've seen call for olive oil as an alternative. Might wanna try that version.
First, try to find some good Italian tuna, packed in olive oil. It's almost a different product from "BumbleChicken." Restaurants buy it in kilo size cans, but gourmet shops and Italian delis often have consumer sizes for sale. It's expensive, but it makes a great tasting tuna salad, and is an essential ingredient in authentic Salad Niçoise. (Seriously, authentic Salad Niçoise in Nice is never made with fresh tuna.)

Second, choose an olive oil based mayo or make your own. The difference in taste from regular supermarket mayo, made with soybean oil, is marked. And add a bit more vinegar or lemon juice to add tang.

The third thing restaurants do... adding a lot of salt... is something I do not do at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordula View Post
The only problem I have with that "fresh fish" tends to SMELL...
Then it's not fresh fish. I buy fresh tuna and it is completely odorless except for the slight smell of the ocean.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
You know, I've never thought of buying fresh tuna and steaming it. Not that I'd know how to steam it - but even just cooking it. In a pan maybe. My idea of "steaming" is to pan-cook it til it's almost done, then pour some water in the pan and cover it. That's how I make my potstickers, and how I make the cheese melt on my burgers.

You think that'd work in making some mundane tuna salad? A little squeeze of lemon, a drop or two of oil just so none of it sticks to the pan? A fillet of course - then cool it off and mix with mayo and stuff it between some bread?

Old 03-02-2013, 06:09 AM

170 posts, read 323,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
First, try to find some good Italian tuna, packed in olive oil. It's almost a different product from "BumbleChicken." Restaurants buy it in kilo size cans, but gourmet shops and Italian delis often have consumer sizes for sale. It's expensive, but it makes a great tasting tuna salad, and is an essential ingredient in authentic Salad Niçoise. (Seriously, authentic Salad Niçoise in Nice is never made with fresh tuna.)

Second, choose an olive oil based mayo or make your own. The difference in taste from regular supermarket mayo, made with soybean oil, is marked. And add a bit more vinegar or lemon juice to add tang.

The third thing restaurants do... adding a lot of salt... is something I do not do at home.
Well... I have not seen "good Italian tuna" at Wal-Mart or Costco. I've also been to the other chain markets They're the same way... Maybe our Italian delis will have that stuff.

People don't add lemon juice?

Old 03-02-2013, 02:30 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
American Tuna Company sells a very good canned tuna - it comes unsalted, salted, or flavored with jalapeno or garlic.
You can buy 6oz cans or a 4lb can.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:08 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I no longer use canned tuna, because I can no longer get tuna canned in the USA.

I have found that, even with the low price of a can of tuna, I can make tuna salad for cheaper by using a piece of fresh fish. Steam the fish, cool, flake, and off you go.

Favor is much better, it is healthier (not canned in salt), and I am not trusting a cannery from a country that isn't all that careful about sanitation.

Yes, cheaper. Look at how much actual fish you get out of a can, once the water has been drained off. A good 4 ounce fillet of fish will make a very nice amount of tuna salad.

That does not answer OP"s question. OP, I suggest that you take a swing by and peek at the deli's trash. See what brand of mayonnaise and what brand of tuna they are using. It is probably the mayonaise. I don't think that different brands of tuna taste all that different. Mayonnaise is probably from a restaurant supply. Those are open to the public, if you want to buy the same brand of mayo. It might be in a 2 gallon size jar, though.

Don't agree with this. Fresh tuna is great raw. Its not so great cooked, its just not. I know it sounds like it should be in theory but its a different flavor from a good canned tuna, and the texture is not as digestible. So my rule is either its fresh enough to be eaten raw, sashimi or crudo style, or you buy a tasty canned tuna in which the cooking process and time spent in the can somehow seems to make it both more digestible and tasty than usual cooked fresh tuna. Genova Tonno is a decent place to start.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
I've been getting tuna at Wal-Mart for 75 cents a can! And its not bad, either!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,837 times
The key is to make it a day or two ahead so whatever ingredients you add can meld together. Always better than on the fly. I like to drizzle olive oil over the top too... has to be on toasted bread as well.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:49 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Diced apples..or even diced pears...sliced grapes...be creative
we get the pears that are still hard..and dice them up and put them in our tuna salad..it adds a nice crunch to it

Agreed!! When I was a kid my mom made it using diced apples and sometimes grapes. It gave a very nice crunch and kind of takes an edge off the "fishy" taste.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:07 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Tuna, minced onions, chopped celery, mayo (light mayo).
That's how I have always made mine but might try it with the eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes