Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:22 PM

515 posts, read 717,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I add lemon-pepper spice.
Oh yum! I love that stuff!

Just a pinch in my tunafish salad but lots more in my chicken (with pineapple) salad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 06:28 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,282,099 times
A bagel place back where I lived just used tuna with regular Hallman;'s mayo. I know one of the delis put bread crumbs in it.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
I'm blown away by how many people put hard boiled eggs in their tuna salad - I have never seen this practice, neither in any deli I have been to, not in anyone's homemade tuna salad. I don't mind hard boiled eggs as they are a great source of protein, but I think the resulting mix can't really be considered tuna salad - maybe egg and tuna salad?

I use celery salt, one rib of fresh celery (but I strip the "veins" out first and chop very fine) some minced onion (green onion works too) chopped dill gherkins and the best quality mayo I can get my hands on (no soybean oil!) a little Dijon mustard or grainy mustard goes a long way.

I have a feeling some places may add MSG to enhance the flavor - wouldn't hurt to ask next time you are at the place where you love the taste of the tuna salad! They should be able to tell you - some people have a sensitivity to MSG.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
O.K. I've gone without long enough. I gave in and paid the new 400% increase price for Starkist Premium tuna. Not Albacore the regular has better taste to me. In olive oil whatever... Dinky can, 3 eggs to make the most of the new pricey stuff. Dill pickle and Mayo. Love it! Still not sure where it's made but it was flaky and not the "new" mush. Thanks Roosty!

P.s. a little celery would have been good...I forgot about it!

Old 05-08-2011, 10:06 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,442,060 times
But was it worth a 400% price increase?

Old 05-08-2011, 12:06 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm blown away by how many people put hard boiled eggs in their tuna salad - I have never seen this practice, neither in any deli I have been to, not in anyone's homemade tuna salad.
Putting egg in tuna salad must be a regional thing, just like putting relish in tuna salad.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:44 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
But was it worth a 400% price increase?
Well..... I always thought Tuna was inexpensive and a great buy. But we paid around a dollar for 2 or 3 of the small cans (any brand) for many years. It was always flaky and obviously cut whole from the fish. Suddenly the last year or two those have turned to mush. I've heard it's being processed in China as the reason. I mean they need to make a soup of melamine and other waste products. So if you get the Starkist Gourmet choice it's the familiar flaky stuff. I'm still concerned as to point of origin. We all need to force the U.S. Gov't to demand full disclosure. Especially on imported products. Especially from China.
...Yes, the tuna was good ..but why is it now $1.44 a can??

BTW, I think tuna salad without eggs should be called a pate'!

Old 05-08-2011, 12:51 PM

661 posts, read 1,251,838 times
The best line so far in this topic,
"Miracle Whip is vomitous"!

Old 05-08-2011, 01:08 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Ironic you should mention this. I never buy restaurant tuna (or "deli" as you call it) because, IMHO it tastes awful.

My tuna is made with Miracle Whip (which I love) which gives it a real "zing" rather than blah mayonnaise, which I presume the restaurants are using.

I also add green relish, and once in a while boiled eggs (cut very, very small).

I use "light" tuna because, to me, it tastes just as good as white or Albacore. The secret is to drain it very, very well (squeeze the lid down on the can very hard after opening until as much moisture as possible is removed).

Then mix with a conservative amount of Miracle Whip (not too much, because then it is too mushy).

The best tuna salad is home made. IMHO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-08-2011, 01:18 PM

664 posts, read 1,028,416 times
I'm so glad you asked this question. It's been driving me crazy. I just can't make tuna like the deli.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes