Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:24 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,228,857 times

Advertisements

For "regular" tuna salad, I completely drain a can of solid white Bumble Bee using this, (mine is the plastic version), and add Hellmann's/Best mayonnaise, very finely diced scallions and that's it. Occasionally I'll also add some finely diced celery and shredded carrots, but usually not. I love it on whole wheat toast or stuffed into a green pepper and placed in the center of a tossed salad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 06:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Over the years, the manufacturers have pulled a subtle bait and switch on us. What was once known as "chunk" tuna, is now "solid" tuna. What they're calling "chunk" now, is actually minced.

If you want tuna the way you remember it when you were a kid, start with solid, not chunk.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
It wasn't that subtle a change. You could buy tuna dirt cheap not more than 4 or 5 years or so ago. 2 or 3 cans for a dollar. Not albacore but what they called chunk light I guess. But it had better flavor than albacore in my opinion. You open the can and the fish is flaky and mostly in one piece you can tell it was cut in one piece pretty much. Then I heard some or all tuna was coming from China.

This news made me stop dead in my tracks and look into origin of tuna we buy. Just in the last, I think, 3 or 4 years max... tuna has turned to mush. So I'm assuming with what we know of China this is coming from them. Now I see small cans of tuna relabeled fancy names. Still hard and sometimes impossible to ascertain it's origin.

But the new label tunas are the same looking and consistency stuff that was 2 or 3 for a dollar. Now it's $1.30, $1.50 or so for this tiny can. We thought gas prices can skyrocket sheesh! I always thought tuna was cheap at 2 or 3 cans for a dollar. But how are these giant price hikes explainable? This took place in a short amount of time.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
But how are these giant price hikes explainable? This took place in a short amount of time.
The answer is in the news...

Tuna is overfished, and stocks are plummeting worldwide. Some tuna fishing areas may need to be closed completely to avoid causing extinction.

We're getting lower quality fish, because that's all there is left, and prices are skyrocketing because demand outstrips supply.

Sad but true.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The answer is in the news...

Tuna is overfished, and stocks are plummeting worldwide. Some tuna fishing areas may need to be closed completely to avoid causing extinction.

We're getting lower quality fish, because that's all there is left, and prices are skyrocketing because demand outstrips supply.

Sad but true.
I suppose it's inevitable. Hard to believe with all the fish in the vast seas. Seems like everything is in short supply since China was let into the WTO. Can't keep them from their share of the worlds resources but their thieving of our national secrets must stop. I agree with you.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,180,454 times
Quote:
Yes to this - I was taught from an early age to use the lid to press down on the tuna to squeeze and drain all the water out before making the salad. Usually requires my use of a fork to pick the compacted tuna out of the can.
I do the exact same thing!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I do the exact same thing!
Me too! But, if it's the mush crap the water or oil doesn't separate very well. I use two thumbs.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:34 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
I no longer use canned tuna, because I can no longer get tuna canned in the USA.

I have found that, even with the low price of a can of tuna, I can make tuna salad for cheaper by using a piece of fresh fish. Steam the fish, cool, flake, and off you go.

Favor is much better, it is healthier (not canned in salt), and I am not trusting a cannery from a country that isn't all that careful about sanitation.

Yes, cheaper. Look at how much actual fish you get out of a can, once the water has been drained off. A good 4 ounce fillet of fish will make a very nice amount of tuna salad.

That does not answer OP"s question. OP, I suggest that you take a swing by and peek at the deli's trash. See what brand of mayonnaise and what brand of tuna they are using. It is probably the mayonaise. I don't think that different brands of tuna taste all that different. Mayonnaise is probably from a restaurant supply. Those are open to the public, if you want to buy the same brand of mayo. It might be in a 2 gallon size jar, though.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:57 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
OP - you're missing vinegar.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:55 PM

170 posts, read 323,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I no longer use canned tuna, because I can no longer get tuna canned in the USA.

I have found that, even with the low price of a can of tuna, I can make tuna salad for cheaper by using a piece of fresh fish. Steam the fish, cool, flake, and off you go.

Favor is much better, it is healthier (not canned in salt), and I am not trusting a cannery from a country that isn't all that careful about sanitation.

Yes, cheaper. Look at how much actual fish you get out of a can, once the water has been drained off. A good 4 ounce fillet of fish will make a very nice amount of tuna salad.

That does not answer OP"s question. OP, I suggest that you take a swing by and peek at the deli's trash. See what brand of mayonnaise and what brand of tuna they are using. It is probably the mayonaise. I don't think that different brands of tuna taste all that different. Mayonnaise is probably from a restaurant supply. Those are open to the public, if you want to buy the same brand of mayo. It might be in a 2 gallon size jar, though.

The only problem I have with that "fresh fish" tends to SMELL.

But yeah I agree with this post. I've had many different kinds of tuna and they all taste the same to me. Actually, the recipes I've seen call for olive oil as an alternative. Might wanna try that version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes