Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:17 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
It's neither relish, sweet pickle nor dill pickles: it's tuna, diced onion and mayo, mixed together and served between slices of crusty rye bread, then diagonally-sliced, with a half-sour pickle and potato chips on the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 02:15 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
The key is to make it a day or two ahead so whatever ingredients you add can meld together
Ive been doing this..pre-making tuna salad.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:50 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,407 times
I am quite fussy about my tuna salad. I will only use cans of Cloverleaf white albacore in water. Here's what I add for 2 cans:

a healthy dollop of Hellman's Mayo
1 gala or red delicious apple chopped up
a handful of plump fresh raisins (optional)
about half a bunch of green onions chopped up finely
the juice of half a lemon (a real, fresh lemon)
black pepper

I find the lemon juice is the kicker. I used to use salt but trying to adhere to a salt reduced diet, I found the lemon juice gave it that extra excitement!

Old 04-26-2013, 05:17 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I use one lg. can of tuna or two smaller cans, drained well. To this I add Best Food mayo to taste, finely chopped celery, diced sweet pickles or sweet pickle relish, black pepper to taste, a little garlic powder, and sometimes I addd an diced hard boiled egg or two.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:21 PM

17 posts, read 52,377 times
Wow you guys put a lot of things in your tuna. I've only ever added mayonnaise.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:58 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
But the new label tunas are the same looking and consistency stuff that was 2 or 3 for a dollar. Now it's $1.30, $1.50 or so for this tiny can. We thought gas prices can skyrocket sheesh! I always thought tuna was cheap at 2 or 3 cans for a dollar. But how are these giant price hikes explainable? This took place in a short amount of time.
Everything's expensive these days... or am I just getting old?? I was shocked that the plain old white bread I bought was marked $3.99!! The store sold it for less, but even so!

Only thing I used to make either tuna or chicken salad is mayo and mustard, and toasted bread.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:27 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
This is one of my friend's recipes; it is really good! Barbie's Tuna Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com
I got a rep for this post today. It is such a great "different" tuna fish recipe; I am going to whip up a batch. I always double the recipe, reduce the amount of mayo though and add salt and pepper!

Old 10-01-2016, 06:51 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Not sure if I already posted this, but a man who owns a very popular sandwich shop in town told me that one of the secrets is to keep squeezing out ALL the moisture, until the tuna is almost powdery dry. You have to get all the water out before you start.
As for me, I just like really finely minced celery, a little onion, good mayo and a bit of Lawrys or Beau Monde.
Sometimes, I leave out the onion and add chopped sweet pickle, and sometimes I make half egg salad/half tuna.
One thing I would never do is put mustard anywhere near tuna. Yuk.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:57 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not sure if I already posted this, but a man who owns a very popular sandwich shop in town told me that one of the secrets is to keep squeezing out ALL the moisture, until the tuna is almost powdery dry. You have to get all the water out before you start.
As for me, I just like really finely minced celery, a little onion, good mayo and a bit of Lawrys or Beau Monde.
Sometimes, I leave out the onion and add chopped sweet pickle, and sometimes I make half egg salad/half tuna.
One thing I would never do is put mustard anywhere near tuna. Yuk.
I totally agree about the moisture! I squeeze every last drop of it out of my tuna. I never add mustard either!

Old 10-01-2016, 10:28 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I totally agree about the moisture! I squeeze every last drop of it out of my tuna. I never add mustard either!
I know, right? Once I got a tuna at Panera and it had mustard on it. Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes