Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 01:02 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Never had a crock pot before and can't wait to start using it. I remember my mom used to make pot roast in one and the whole house would smell good all day!
Any recommendation on a good crock pot cook book, or does anyone have any recipes of their own to share?
I love all kinds of food but would really like to have a warm hearty stew for the first meal in it...
New Orleans Style Red Beans
Beef Tip Gravy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
A friend gave me this recipe for pulled pork and we love it

Pulled Pork

Get a boneless 4 pound shoulder cut of pork from the supermarket. Don't do a thing to it. No seasoning, no spices, nothing!

Into a crock pot, slice an onion for the bottom of the pot, add the pork, put another sliced onion on the top, and then add about 12 ounces of apple juice or apple cider. Set it on low and leave it for 12 hours. (I use one yellow and one purple onion - you can use whatever you like)

After 12 hours, take out the onion and put it in a bowl for later. Remove the pork and discard the liquid. Take two forks and "pull" the pork apart. It will shred pretty easily. Once it's pulled, put it back in the crockpot. Take the onions, chop them up and toss them in as well, along with a bottle of BBQ sauce - any kind you like. Stir it all together and set it on low and leave it for 4 more hours.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
I usually use my pot for meat, beans and baked potatoes or I'll use it for stuffing, au gratin potatoes or mac and cheese for big get togethers to keep warm.
Ribs turn out great too, it doesn't matter what cut of meat you put in the crock pot, if you cook it long enough, it will become very tender.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Once you get the hang of your crockpot you will wonder how you lived so long without it. I especially love pulled pork and beef stew I make. I use mine 3 or more times a week. I especially like preparing my evening meal around 10 each morning. This gives me an excuse to listen to Diane Rehm on the radio, gives me unrushed afternoons to cart my kids everywhere and I think it is probably cheaper to run a crock pot all day than the oven for a few hours.

There is no shortage of wonderful stew, soup and chicken recipes all over the internet. And I haven't fixed a roast in the regular oven in 15 or more years. Wouldn't even know how to at this point.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:25 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
I use my crock pot constantly. There are plenty of recipes online for any thing you might want to cook. I do roasts, pulled pork, pork tenderloin, chicken thighs, stews and soup. I also love making homemade stock in my crock pot. Just google whatever you like and crockpot or slow cooker.

My favorite is Cranberry Orange Pork Tenderloin: Orange-Cranberry-Glazed Pork Tenderloin Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Old 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
Check out this website A Year of Slow Cooking There are some wonderful recipes on the website.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 PM

203 posts, read 371,797 times
This is NOT really a recipe, but it is delicious! Full of calories though!

Put your pot roast in the crockpot( DO NOT ADD WATER)
Pour in single cans of Celery Soup, French Onion Soup, Mushroom Soup.
Distribute one packet of dry onion/mushroom soup over the roast.
Cover and cook for approx 8 hours .

This is wonderful to serve over rice, creamed potatoes, or egg noodles etc.

The meat fairly well falls apart after cooking this length of time so time can be adjusted to your desire if you want to slice.

Like I said this is NOT for the dieter, but very flavorful!

When doing dried beans ALWAYS soak beans overnight and then when cooking, add crock full of water.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:15 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorinCary View Post
Dr Pepper Slow Cooker Roast Beef is on our menu for Christmas dinner!
Dr Pepper Slow Cooker Roast Beef Recipe - Cooking | Add a Pinch | Robyn Stone

And Whole Chicken in a Slow Cooker is another favorite.
Whole Chicken in a Slow Cooker Recipe | the little kitchen.
This roast beef recipe sounds great!!! I bet a boneless pork roast would be good with the Dr. pepper too. I am going to have to try this.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post

Pulled Pork

Get a boneless 4 pound shoulder cut of pork from the supermarket. Don't do a thing to it. No seasoning, no spices, nothing!

Into a crock pot, slice an onion for the bottom of the pot, add the pork, put another sliced onion on the top, and then add about 12 ounces of apple juice or apple cider. Set it on low and leave it for 12 hours. (I use one yellow and one purple onion - you can use whatever you like)

After 12 hours, take out the onion and put it in a bowl for later. Remove the pork and discard the liquid. Take two forks and "pull" the pork apart. It will shred pretty easily. Once it's pulled, put it back in the crockpot. Take the onions, chop them up and toss them in as well, along with a bottle of BBQ sauce - any kind you like. Stir it all together and set it on low and leave it for 4 more hours.
I do something very similiar except I use 1 medium onion sliced, place pork on top, I take 1 packet of lipton onion soup mix and mix in 1 1/2 cups of water. I pour that on top. Cook low and slow 6 hours. after 6 hours I shred the meat and put back in the pot,add BBQ sauce (homemade)and cook 1 hour more.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post

Pulled Pork

just to be clear, the 4lb roast is a pork shoulder butt, not a fresh arm picnic,,,,both from the shoulder

very good recipe,, thanks for sharing,,, I'll use a chuck roast for pulled beef,,in much the same way -makes great sandwiches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes