Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:32 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Where are we in 2010? I thought we got past this 40 years ago!
Where are we in 2010 as women, thats for each indivdual to decide.
The options are there and there is no "norm".

If you believe everything you read and allow the media or anyone else to define your role as a women, a wife or mother you're going to be unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I would prefer not to have children raised in daycare. At least not until 2 or 3. So I'll say that I would prefer a woman not to work during those years.

If she'd rather work, then I have NO PROBLEM staying home. Just make sure the fridge is stocked with breast milk and that I can join the MOMS CLUB to take JR to play.
My ex wanted me to stay home with our kids and I agreed. I didn't want them in daycare either. But when we divorced when our youngest was 13, I was up a creek. I had to scramble to go to school and get a college education so I could support myself and the youngest because he supplied absolutely no child support. It was rough. I think it's good to stay home with the kids but have some kind of job you can do from home at least. You never know what can happen.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
I don't think women have a "role" outside of certain biological necessities which are inescapable.

Men CAN'T have the babies, for all the experimentation going on today. We're simply not designed for it and I suspect those men who are part of those experiments will find some long-term effects which are pretty detrimental.

Now, before someone gets all fired up and tells me about the detriment to a woman's body, I KNOW that happens -- but there's an undeniable biological difference whether you like it or not, and that difference is that women are designed to make babies, men are not.

During this time (pregnancy) should be the strongest outward expression of a partnership. Women are hindered, encumbered; men should be seriously picking up the slack at that time.

Men are and always will be (for the foreseeable future) designed for lifting loads which women aren't, plain and simple. Yes, there are women who can lift more than I, but they're barely women and they're a rarity, an extreme exception, NOT the rule by any stretch. That being said, technology is a great equalizer.

Beyond all that, I see NO reason why men can't cook, clean and sew while women go plow the back 40 -- none at all.

I DO agree that Feminism trivialized the needs and wants of Men on the whole, but I suspect it was an inevitable backlash from the needs and wants of women having been trivialized for rather a long damn time.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 AM

21 posts, read 44,059 times
Default Great Thread

Convo between me and a guy I met a few months ago ... talk about soup and pots (lol!)

Him: Marry me and let's travel.
Me: Most men think I am too independent.
Him: You probably are. Intelligent, professional women usually are.
Me: I'm not "traditional" wife material.
Him: Laughs ... Does that mean you don't cook?
Me: I like to cook.
Him: OK, then lets get started on this relationship.

Next time I'll remember to add, "but cooking together is sexier than cooking alone!!!"

Old 09-21-2010, 09:02 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
To be a nurturer and be her husband's help mate, which is becoming obselete these days.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:08 AM

21 posts, read 44,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
To be a nurturer and be her husband's help mate, which is becoming obselete these days.
How do you do that, work and also take care of kids? It was easier for to be this type of woman in 1965, when it wasn't financially necessary for women to work. Today, I really think the man and women have to be nurturers and help mates to the whole family.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post

Srsly?!?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 AM

647 posts, read 2,083,480 times
I think we're making too much of this whole topic. Each person's personal convictions and circumstances may be different at various stages of life that will dictate what the role is.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
I can't speak for anybody else...but I would want my woman's role to be my best friend. In the 21st century, luckily everybody gets to make their own rules.

LOVE MAD MEN, btw.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 AM

182 posts, read 298,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
My ex wanted me to stay home with our kids and I agreed. I didn't want them in daycare either. But when we divorced when our youngest was 13, I was up a creek. I had to scramble to go to school and get a college education so I could support myself and the youngest because he supplied absolutely no child support. It was rough. I think it's good to stay home with the kids but have some kind of job you can do from home at least. You never know what can happen.
This is exactly why my uncle wouldnt give his blessing for my cousin to marry until she finished nursing school. "Hope for the best but prepare for the worst."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships