Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman51 View Post
This is exactly why my uncle wouldnt give his blessing for my cousin to marry until she finished nursing school. "Hope for the best but prepare for the worst."
My dad insisted that I be independent as well.

A man knows other men and gives advice to the women in his life accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:23 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm happy to be the breadwinner, I need someone who can take care of the house and cook.
Why not get a maid twice a week and cook dinner with your wife?

I'm all for helping my partner achieve what he wants in life, but we compromise. Unless you're in an extremely compatible relationship, we all don't get everything we want all the time.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
I've never known what it's like to be financially cared for by a man. Well, at least since my childhood. I've always thought both parties working and contributing to the bottom line was just an economic reality these days. I have a hard time imagining what it would be like to care for the home and kids full time.

I guess each couple has to find what works for them. Yes, men have been forced into more womanly roles but women are doing more manly duties as well. I will admit it's tough. I have to be able to change the oil and wear stilettos. Perhaps it was easier when everyone knew what was expected of them.

My mom's generation of women was very interesting to me. Most of mom's siblings never worked outside the home and my mom was the only one who learned to drive. My aunts had babies and ran their homes. My mom had 2 kids, a career, and a home to run. My father wasn't good for anything BUT his manly duties and that meant my mom worked harder than she should have. I can remember my parents arguing about mom's working and dad insisting she didn't HAVE to work. He would have preferred she stayed home.

Looking back, I don't think any of these families were really happy.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:29 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
I'm a woman, and my role is.... well... I haven't quite figured it out yet. I doubt I'll be the 'doting wife and mother', nor will I be wholly career driven. I think I'll be something in between.

Every woman's role is different, but I will ALWAYS be able to support myself and will not lay my life in the hands of another. After all, when it really comes down to it, you're the only one you truly have to depend on.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:35 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Yes, men have been forced into more womanly roles but women are doing more manly duties as well.
I don't think there are "womanly roles" and "manly duties" anymore. There's work that needs to get done to manage the home, family, and finances, and however people decide to divide that work up is up to them.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
The best about this century is women can decide which role they would like as opposed to having a role thrust upon us.

The other good thing is roles can be reversed which gives both men and women choices unheard of in almost any previous generation.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,206 times
The thing is that nowadays it seems people cherry pick the gender roles that benefit them and not those that expect them to give/contribute to the relationship.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 PM

21 posts, read 44,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
The thing is that nowadays it seems people cherry pick the gender roles that benefit them and not those that expect them to give/contribute to the relationship.
Very interesting point. I hadn't thought of it that way but I see what you're saying.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:00 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
The thread is about women's roles, not your distaste for the fact women are ALLOWED to choose roles now. So women want what is best for themselves...boo hoo that you don't like it.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:01 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times
Default well at 48

well, if you want a relationship with a man, you should have some interest in understanding what a man wants. ignoring what men want will alienate them.

if you hadn't noticed, modern feminism has a habit of trivializing what men want.

and still single, despite that I am independent and have a good job and my own place I still don't know WTF I want so maybe the above issues won't apply to me!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships