Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,321,988 times

Advertisements

OK OP, I asked my husband's opinion on this matter to get a more objective response for you. He said that he would be fine if some guy came and cried on my shoulder complaining about his ex-gf or gf. But not if he started escalating things emotionally and saying stuff like, "oh you are the only person that understands me... my gf doesn't understand me like you do... we should hang out and get a drink sometime." Then it would get kind of creepy. From your description it sounds like you just play WoW and chat on the internet but if it ends up becoming a bit more then you should probably be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,880,166 times
I'll go $100 bucks the OP sleeps with this guy.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,884,643 times
I wouldnt bet against that

Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 AM

694 posts, read 746,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmassey83 View Post
My hubby has met my friend but has chosen to not like him for some reason I have assured him that our friendship has always been platonic, but he says he doesn't trust my friend or his intentions. I am more hurt by the fact that he doesn't trust me. I have never and would never meet my friend alone. Now he is paranoid about emails, facebook and WoW!
You should tell you friend that you can't have contact until things are resolved. Your husband not willing to talk to you is not resolving anything. If you husband has trouble with only this one person, it can be fixed. If you husband has trouble with ALL or most other men, you might be a big problem.

I reconnected with a former girlfriend (from 25 years ago, who is single) and my wife of 8 years had a problem. My wife met her, we went to chuch with her and her family and my wife went to her house for a party once. We also buy cookies from her daughter. I still have to be respectful but my wife knows everything is OK. Everytime I have contact with her online, I let my wife know and she and never meet alone.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Old 03-08-2011, 10:32 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,018,559 times
Here is a VERY easy, simple solution. Ask your "friend" if he has romantic feelings for you.

I had a similar situation, but my husband was NOT jealous. He was friends with the guy as well. In fact, it was his best friend. But I was getting a weird feeling from the guy and I asked him point-blank one time. "Are you in love with me?" and he answered yes.

Of course, I told my husband and he and I severed all contact with our ex-friend. I still carry around residual anger over the whole thing. He was USING our so-called friendship in an effort to try to destroy my family.

I'm not saying that all single guys that develop a friendship with a married woman are up to no good. I don't think that was my friend's intent. But humans are fragile, imperfect creatures. Things happen, our emotions take over.

The key is to NOT put yourself in a situation where this COULD happen.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 AM

8,991 posts, read 17,339,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I'll go $100 bucks the OP sleeps with this guy.
Sleeps or slept? I could go with either at this point.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:49 AM

839 posts, read 2,420,049 times
Quote:
I've been married for 5 years to my husband. We have had no real issues with our relationship until now.

I recently got back in touch with a male friend that I knew way before I knew my husband. He's a guitarist in a fairly successful local band and I would always go to his shows. We became good friends and confided in one another, although it was never "romantic" and purely platonic. I lost touch with this guy just after I got married, but thanks to Facebook, I found him. Now we also play World Of Warcraft together, as we are both game nerds.

Now we email one another and my friend actually confided in me and told me about how some girl had f'd him over. We spoke for over and hour and I did the right thing and told my hubby, but he didn't say much.

The problem is that my hubby clearly is uncomfortable with my male friend. He told me the other day that he is fine with me having male friends, as long as he trusts them and knows them (????). He doesn't like this particular male friend because he feels inferior to him as he knows I like music and creativity, while my hubby isn't musical. I keep telling him that he has nothing to worry about and that I'd never meet my friend alone without him, but he is now paranoid about us emailing one another and for some reason is upset that my friend confided in me about his personal problems.

We had a massive argument yesterday with him saying "Sorry I don't have any musical talent" and storming off. I don't want to ditch my friend, but what should I do? My husband doesn't like him, but he won't tell me outright to cease contact with this person. Most of the friendship is just over email and World Of Warcraft. I am beside myself as to why he is acting like such a jerk, knowing that I have few friends.

Thank you for listening.
It's not my place to tell you what to do or not do, but please consider your husband's feelings on the subject.

If he were to re-connect with an old girlfriend and spend any amount of time with her, would you be OK with that?

Plus, for a married person to be spending time with an ex-flame is to be playing with fire. How many times have you heard of people who end up cheating on their spouses and then swear they never meant for it to happen? Seems to be a common thing......

IMHO, this type of situation is exactly what is being referenced in the "forsaking all others" part of the marriage vows......

Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 AM

its not an ex flame, supposedly its 'just' a friend

Old 03-08-2011, 11:53 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,701,501 times
Quote:
Thank you!! The voice of reason finally!
Why is the "voice of reason" only someone who agrees with you?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Why is the "voice of reason" only someone who agrees with you?

we are all just over-reacting, she just wants someone to validate her treacherous behavior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships