Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 02:45 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,655,188 times

Advertisements

Why does everyone behave and seem to run as in "OH F***"? You have your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 04:54 PM

420 posts, read 879,629 times
When you thought a 'friend' or even a family member had your back, only to find out that when you need them most, they turn out not to. Watch your enemies, but watch your friends more.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:48 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,655,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegotsoul831 View Post
When you thought a 'friend' or even a family member had your back, only to find out that when you need them most, they turn out not to. Watch your enemies, but watch your friends more.
That's the worst kind.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,285,011 times
1. People who are habitually late. Time is the stuff life is made of. When you waste my time by being late, it really annoys me. Five minutes? Not a problem. An hour? Somebody better be dead, bleeding or suffering from a heart attack.

2. Self-appoint "Speed Wardens" on the interstate who camp out in the left-hand lane. People, it's the PASSING LANE not the Fast Lane. And the entire fabric of society will not come apart if I pass you going 73 in a 70 mph zone.

3. Bad manners. Manners aren't some arcane code of etiquette. They are just a nice set of rules to ensure comfort among all parties in every possible situation. So people who think that manners are somehow stupid or situational are people who think their treatment of you as a person should situational, as if they have one set of rules for rich, childless uncles, and one set of rules for the cashier down at the dry cleaner. These are people to avoid.

4. Lying. Shouldn't have to explain this one. However, when somebody says, "To be honest with you," my ears tend to prick up. That person has inadvertently told me that they are selective with the truth based on what the circumstances are.

5. People who insist on inflicting their political, religious, and societal views on you at the drop of the hat. These are the people who are seize on the most innocent remarks and say, "What do you mean by THAT?" These are also people who do not typically respect different beliefs of others, no matter how intelligently or conscientiously those beliefs were derived. Both ends of the political spectrum are filled to the rafters with these people.

6. People who are judgmental in a kneejerk fashion or lack a sense of humor. Mind you, I think being a little judgmental isn't a bad thing. But people who stand around looking for fault in others just take all the fun out of life.

7. Those little cards that fall out of magazines.

8. Telephone solicitors. When those guys call and ask for me, I've started tell them that I'm dead. They never skip a beat. They say, "Oh. Well can you tell me who's now making the decisions for....?"

9. People who talk about the following non-stop: Their exercise routine, their 12-Step Program and struggle with addiction, their health issues, their brilliant children, their stamp collections, or anything else. Conversations tend to work best when one person speaks, the other person listens, and then replies with something equally interesting.

10. Television. In itself, it's not a bad thing. But it has become a really corrupting influence in almost every sphere of life. It has shaped how we elect political leaders, how we socialize, how our children behave, how we view violence, etc. etc., and not necessarily for the better. And one other thing. When you welcome people into your house, TURN OFF THE TELEVISION. Unless the television program itself is the reason for the social event (i.e., buddies coming over to watch a game), then DVR the cotton-picking thing.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 PM

60 posts, read 108,054 times
women with fake hair, fake breast, eye lashes, and lots of makeup-whats wrong with being natural

Old 03-28-2011, 08:26 AM

420 posts, read 879,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
Just watch for the people who NEVER say ANYTHING nice. That is unless you kiss their a** and run in their CLICK?
Yeah... I have to avoid those for fear I might dope-slap one of 'em...Lol
But it's hard to avoid the ones who wont even look at you, let alone, say thank you,
when you smile at them, open a door or let them out in traffic
because you never see that coming.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,859,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
9. People who talk about the following non-stop: Their exercise routine, their 12-Step Program and struggle with addiction, their health issues, their brilliant children, their stamp collections, or anything else. Conversations tend to work best when one person speaks, the other person listens, and then replies with something equally interesting.
There's a quote I remember hearing that goes something like this:

"A bore talks to you about himself. A conversationalist talks to you about yourself."

There's a difference between inviting the conversation to grace certain topics and imposing the conversation on certain topics. I'm assuming you're referring to the type that forces those topics on you relentlessly. In that case I would totally agree 100%.

Conversation in itself is becoming a lost art, but it can be very enjoyable for those willing to make the time and effort to learn it.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,285,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
There's a quote I remember hearing that goes something like this:

"A bore talks to you about himself. A conversationalist talks to you about yourself."

There's a difference between inviting the conversation to grace certain topics and imposing the conversation on certain topics. I'm assuming you're referring to the type that forces those topics on you relentlessly. In that case I would totally agree 100%.

Conversation in itself is becoming a lost art, but it can be very enjoyable for those willing to make the time and effort to learn it.
One of my all-time favorite sayings. And so very true.

I learned a trick early on in life. If I went to a social gathering, I made it somewhat of a game to not talk about myself, or at least do so as little as possible. So if someone asked me what I did for a living, I replied, "International Spy," or "Marijuana Importer." Then I would turn the conversation back to them. If they insisted on talking about me, or if it was impolite to not answer their questions, I would soon say, "Oh, I bore me. Let's talk about you instead."

Interesting thing happened. Everybody loved talking to me. I could walk into a party where I knew no one and wind up with almost everybody knowing my name. So if you are a little nervous at a party, suppress the desire to talk about yourself and instead focus on the person you're with at the moment. You'll be amazed how quickly the world opens up for you.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM

645 posts, read 990,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
One of my all-time favorite sayings. And so very true.

I learned a trick early on in life. If I went to a social gathering, I made it somewhat of a game to not talk about myself, or at least do so as little as possible. So if someone asked me what I did for a living, I replied, "International Spy," or "Marijuana Importer." Then I would turn the conversation back to them. If they insisted on talking about me, or if it was impolite to not answer their questions, I would soon say, "Oh, I bore me. Let's talk about you instead."

Interesting thing happened. Everybody loved talking to me. I could walk into a party where I knew no one and wind up with almost everybody knowing my name. So if you are a little nervous at a party, suppress the desire to talk about yourself and instead focus on the person you're with at the moment. You'll be amazed how quickly the world opens up for you.

I'm the same way. Wouldn't it be funny if everyone at the party was like this, though?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 AM

645 posts, read 990,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegotsoul831 View Post

Former Pres. Bush summed this sentiment up nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships