Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:22 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,204,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Well, I'm deaf in my left ear but hear normally in my right ear. Would you guys date a partially deaf or blind person?
Yes i would date a deaf person, and i have dated a legally blind person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
So I got a question to them women out there. As you know communication is very important in a relationship. Also, a man is suppose to take initiative when he sees a girl he likes, right? What if this said guy has a speech impediment? Obviously, he can't communicate as well as someone who has perfect speech and may get misunderstood. And as far as him taking him the initiative? Only if he brave enough to not care about embarrassing himself.

So my question to the ladies out there, would you date a guy with a speech impediment if everything else checked out?

Yes, i already have. He had a cleft palate..I THINK..THINK..thats what it was called. He cannot pronounce all his words that great sometimes, but you can understand him. He just has this..bad lisp...or ..something..I dont know. But i mean he is understandable, but still he has that issue. He was the love of my life, years ago. Sigh...I was younger and didnt understand what i had.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
How is this going for you if you dont mind me asking??? Sorry, I have a vested interest as my best freind is also legally blind and I rarely ever see him with a girlfreind

We broke up, but not because of his condition. It was totally on the kind of person he was and how he treated me. I would say though that being legally blind does cut out some job opportunites, as he found out. But, he had other issues going on that cut down on that too.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:36 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,045,166 times
lots of folks, men and women are superficial and wouldn't date someone for all kinds of stupid reasons. a car they didn't like, a job they feel wasn't good enough, a big nose, someone overweight.

what appeals to most people is someone with personality, that is upbeat and positive in life. along with a sense of humor and a bit of mischief. being a lady or a gentleman goes a long way as well.

to the OP I would go to PT just in case you were to meet someone there. I would also engage in activities that would widen the chances of meeting interesting people.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I spent years taking care of disabled/old relatives and sorry, but I would never have/start a serious relationship with a disabled person. I'm sorry to be so blunt but that is what you asked for. I just feel like I already put in my time as a caretaker. I like challenging activities. I rode a horse across Mexico, kayaked the Amazon River, and went rappelling in Belize. I scuba and run.

Gosh..is there a male version of you that lives in Massachusetts? LOL That's awesome!

Old 06-19-2011, 11:51 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,234,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Well, I'm deaf in my left ear but hear normally in my right ear. Would you guys date a partially deaf or blind person?
Dad? LOL...I've spent my entire life trying to remember what ear to yell in when speaking to my Dad. Yes, I'd date a partially deaf person. I have experience!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:56 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,240,186 times
I believe that there is someone for you. She is out there. It's probably going to take someone who is going to be willing to get past the handicap and get to know your heart and mind...any of us could be handicap tomorrow, it would be easy for me to say I could do that, I'm afraid that I prolly wouldn't ever consider it, shame on me...

Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 AM

11 posts, read 27,471 times
Unhappy Disabled and scared to date! the men I meet be trying to use for money.

I been in some pretty bad relationships, with guys. I have a disability that cause me to be wheelchair bound. Why do abled body people look for disabled people to use? they talk to you like you stupid just because you have a disability, like your brain don't work or something. I decided not to date again until i meet the right man this time that will mean me good and not try to use me do to the fact of looking at a wheelchair....Why would someone want to be so cruel anyway? Just beause I am disabled, don't make me out to be less of a person or useless with no feelings and wants or needs....If I had to chose a woman or man just because they get a SSI check on the first or third, I would feel so bad and less of a human bean....( I NEED SOME HONEST REPLIES FROM ABLED BODY MEN AND WOMEN!) anyone can reply.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:06 PM

400 posts, read 566,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheHateDrumma View Post
I been in some pretty bad relationships, with guys. I have a disability that cause me to be wheelchair bound. Why do abled body people look for disabled people to use? they talk to you like you stupid just because you have a disability, like your brain don't work or something. I decided not to date again until i meet the right man this time that will mean me good and not try to use me do to the fact of looking at a wheelchair....Why would someone want to be so cruel anyway? Just beause I am disabled, don't make me out to be less of a person or useless with no feelings and wants or needs....If I had to chose a woman or man just because they get a SSI check on the first or third, I would feel so bad and less of a human bean....( I NEED SOME HONEST REPLIES FROM ABLED BODY MEN AND WOMEN!) anyone can reply.
Sorry to hear this. It actually makes me angry I can see how people will take this mentality because they feel like they are doing you a favor by dating you. I think it's wrong. I think there are people who will be good to you but you have to be very cautious. I think in your situation it would be best to meet people through friends and family. You need someone who knows your mental capacity and your personality and is attracted to it. For this I would even recommend meeting people on forums like this and getting to know them a bit first before revealing your disability so as to avoid prejudice. If you are going to do online dating it may be safer to look for another person with some form of disability and even then be sure to screen their character and have them meet people close to you before you get too involved.

You do not want:

a) someone who is trying to use you or feels you are devalued because of the circumstances you deal with.

b) someone who is treating you with pity to make themselves feel good.

You do want:

a) to learn from the way you have been treated and NEVER treat anyone less than yourself.

b) to find someone who knows your weaknesses and encourages your strengths and loves you deeply.

Are you also looking for exercise suggestions (like the OP)? If so I was going to suggest Yoga and anything in the water (as well as PT) I had a cancerous tumor removed from my knee 10 years ago and they had to take my knee and much of my leg bone out and replace with metal. These things have been great help to me. I feel like I can function near to normal and hardly have to think about my limitations anymore. I understand that this won't happen for everyone and disabilities vary greatly.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,515,844 times
The one time I truly believed in soul mates and true love was with a woman in a wheelchair with CP. She needed total care due to her CP but I loved her so much that I was willing to be her caretaker in addition to her partner. We had to go separate ways due to circumstances I don't feel like going into and lost touch for a few years. I found out earlier this year that she passed away a few days before her 36th birthday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships