Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,230,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Its a pretty simple question. Ladies, does what a man do for a living increase the odds of you dating him?

I think the idea is more that lots of women like status because they think that being attached to someone who has "high value" will make them happy. Doesn't always work out that way, so I think their opinions can change as they get older, but I don't think the idea that women like status is a generally incorrect generalization.
Status? How about professional common interests or matched personality characteristics, which can be tied to the types of jobs we have? I see more of "likes with likes" relationships than shallow lady looking to climb the ladder partnerships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,029,752 times
I once dated a dude who sold pickles for a living. I think that says it all...

ha.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,289,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That, and does he enjoy his job? Is he good at it and proud of what he does? Or is he going to come home every night in a funk because he spends 8+ hours a day being miserable doing something that he hates?

My thoughts exactly.

However, I tend to NOT date certain types: Writers, artists, musicians. It's not a money thing. It's that there can only be one eccentric, moody, creative type in my relationships and that would be me.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,230,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
My thoughts exactly.

However, I tend to NOT date certain types: Writers, artists, musicians. It's not a money thing. It's that there can only be one eccentric, moody, creative type in my relationships and that would be me.
When I was a street performer I had a no-clown dating rule. I knew a lot of clowns (literally). Ime, they tend to be all over the place and flighty. I also wasn't keen on dating performers in general. Like you, one is enough.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 AM

9 posts, read 17,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't know, since I am a woman, all I care about is rolling around naked in a pile of his money, right?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,487,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
As somebody who works in a biz where there are lots of single women, it's really interesting to hear them describe the guys in their lives in casual conversation.

When one woman asks another woman about the new guy in her life, the answer is almost always, "Well, he's a [occupation]..." Not, "Well, he's really funny" or anything else for that matter.

Why is that?
Probably bc it helps describe him very quickly (you can often get an idea of some characteristics based on job) and bc women are socialized to ask that.
Plus, we're always told that men tend to define themselves by their careers.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,487,416 times
Type of job?
One that requires using your brain.
Someone who enjoys work with objective goals (vs artsy fartsy stuff). That just tells me they enjoy black-and-white more (as do I).
They have to like what they do and be really damn good at it (commitment to excellence and I don't want to hear a bunch of whining).
They have to give their work and attention to detail 110% all the time (something about slackers and half-asses really just cheezes me off - I hate that personality).
Something that doesn't conflict with my morality (no whale hunters or baby seal clubbers or personal injury lawyers...you get the idea).
Helps if they have time to hang out with me, too.

My wife (MBA) manages a team of retirement/investment consultants at a not-for-profit company, she gets really angry if anyone screws up her clients' accounts, and she is always looking out for them and the best deal for them (without pushing unnecessary products - and the company doesn't do a lot of front-loaded type products). The job does not sound interesting to me, but she's the best at what she does where she is, and I am proud of her.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:18 AM

31,164 posts, read 22,192,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
When I was a street performer I had a no-clown dating rule. I knew a lot of clowns (literally). Ime, they tend to be all over the place and flighty. I also wasn't keen on dating performers in general. Like you, one is enough.
"no-clown dating rule", that is sooo funny Now these are good examples! My ultra creative friends seem like they have the most difficulties with relationships, not all but they seem to be most..Dynamic!

I'm an Aerospace Engineer and a good friend of mine is a Lawyer, We tried this at the bar a few times as a "Social" experiment. We identified ourselves as a dishwasher and a Janitor to the woman we met. Even though I think a Janitor is higher on the food chain than a Lawyer he was rapidly shot down when he identified himself as a janitor. I was also ignored as a dishwasher.

Conclusion: People will say they have no preference for a persons job when in reality they do. It is a reflection of who you are and where you are going in life.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:30 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,855,876 times
DISCLAIMER: I am a man. Feel free to refute me as such.

Oftentimes the man's career can be indicative of his outlook on life. Women tend to be attracted to a man who is in control of his life. If the man is working at McDonald's it is likely not by choice. That burger-flipper is not in control of his life, so how can he be expected to give the woman a sense of security? Is the man not confident enough in his own abilities to exert himself in a more prestigious venue? Underlying lack of confidence = unattractive. Why isn't the man passionate about his career (flipping burgers)? Inability to pursue your passions and career goals = unattractive.

Let's say the man really is passionate about burger flipping. Why isn't he trying to be a chef or upgrading to Jack in the Box? Lack of ambition = unattractive. Maybe the man is passionate about working for McDonald's. Why isn't he advancing?

My point is that while the career choice may not be important, there is usually a correlation between what type of position you hold and your attitude toward life. A strong, confident man will pursue his passion relentlessly, continually seeking to better himself and fulfill his ambition. A strong, confident man also has control of his life and knows where he's headed. He puts all his career efforts toward exceeding his goals and striving to better himself in every way.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:30 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,406,314 times
I love a man with an ambition and passion/love for what he is doing. Of course it is nice if he makes a decent living in a process, but I never looked for anyone who makes a ton of money as I could make my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships