Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 04:40 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times

Advertisements

George Carlin said it best. Or purported to have said ""We are all ****ed, it helps to know that."

Old 09-24-2011, 05:53 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Happy Bday!!! I hope you have good day despite everything

Yes, FL is full of psychos and killers and whackballs. Especially Miami. But what I was saying is that a lot of people know each other here in Miami that you wouldn't think they do and are surprised when it comes to light (and scared)

Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Crap. So, today is my birthday. It's a tough day because of my twin's passing. Beyond all the shyte that goes along with that, my dh and I decide that my b-day present will be to fix up my 40g fish tank. I wanted to aquascape it. I get some plant substrate ($60 in plants) and realize I'll have to break the tank down to remove the old gravel thoroughly (with hope it would be a cleaner endeavor). I move my angel to a bucket with some plants, remove all the stuff in it, and drain the tank. I rinse the new substrate and fill up the tank. It's like pea soup in there now. Dammit.

I have two filters going with this aqua clear stuff. God knows how long it's going to take. I can't put my angel back until it's somewhat clear.

Happy Birth Day My Friend. I hope you had a Wonderful Day...

If the Angel will stay in the bucket some time, i would put an air pump with it.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:31 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We see Mrs. Chow's dad every so many weeks, we usually go out to dinner, when we do. Tonight we go out and as the waitress asks for our drink order Mrs. Chow's Dad says "I'll have a Martini standing straight up with no fruit."

Mrs. Chows Dad is 87 yrs old and fashions himself after Humphrey Bogart.

I think that the last time that drink was ordered that way was in 1949.

So, of course this young 22 yr old waitress had no idea WTF no fruit means. I jump in and say, hold the olives.

So dinner goes as usual, us screaming at him because he couldn't hear a dump trunk in a nitroglycerin plant.

So, a little later the server gives me another drink and I say "Thank you", I was almost about to break out and say in a deep Elvis style voice, "Thank you, thank you very much."

But, I thought the better of it.........

I don't want to be the next generation of Humphrey Bogart wanna be's........
My dad is the same way, refuses to get hearing aids, and has no idea how much he misses out on in the way of coversations.
At least you can get him to go out to dinner. Getting my parents out of the house is nearly impossible and very frustrating.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:38 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Crap. So, today is my birthday. It's a tough day because of my twin's passing.
Happy Belated Birthday, Braunwyn! Sorry that day is also associated with sadness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
My dad is the same way, refuses to get hearing aids, and has no idea how much he misses out on in the way of coversations.
Maybe YOU have no idea how much he gains in the way of conversations!

Old 09-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Happy Belated Birthday, Braunwyn! Sorry that day is also associated with sadness...

Maybe YOU have no idea how much he gains in the way of conversations!
If only that were true. He generally just will nodd & smile but if you ask him a question it will involve a recap of the conversation to get him up to speed. One on one is not an issue when you can talk close with him, several people in the same room becomes a problem.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:58 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
Happy late Birthday, Braunwyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
So dinner goes as usual, us screaming at him because he couldn't hear a dump trunk in a nitroglycerin plant.
Quote:
If only that were true. He generally just will nodd & smile but if you ask him a question it will involve a recap of the conversation to get him up to speed. One on one is not an issue when you can talk close with him, several people in the same room becomes a problem.
I have 2 new hearing aids and I still have problems hearing in a group situation. Group being more than 2 or in any public venue.

So my question to Chow is: And why haven't you bought him a new hearing aid?

To both WFW&P & Chow: Or if he refuses, there's a little gadget sold at Radio Shack - public pa system for about $10 that helps a little for many people. It is pretty good in public places to catch much of the conversation at a table (especially if there's only 2 others and you're willing to speak into it and pass it around. If he is afraid the hearing aid will be visible - oh my, I only wish mine were visible!

You cannot have a normal conversation when you're trying to include a person who is HoH/deaf. You have to each direct your voices towards the person and not only be looking at him/her but make sure he is looking at you. Yeah, it takes a little work to remember to not just blurt stuff out.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Happy late Birthday, Braunwyn.

I have 2 new hearing aids and I still have problems hearing in a group situation. Group being more than 2 or in any public venue.

To both WFW&P & Chow: Or if he refuses, there's a little gadget sold at Radio Shack - public pa system for about $10 that helps a little for many people. It is pretty good in public places to catch much of the conversation at a table (especially if there's only 2 others and you're willing to speak into it and pass it around. If he is afraid the hearing aid will be visible - oh my, I only wish mine were visible!

You cannot have a normal conversation when you're trying to include a person who is HoH/deaf. You have to each direct your voices towards the person and not only be looking at him/her but make sure he is looking at you. Yeah, it takes a little work to remember to not just blurt stuff out.
Even in a quiet setting with more than 2 people he has much difficulty, he refuses, and always has, to get help citing his age & money. He won't spend the money because he thinks he will die tomorrow. Well, after 20yrs of tomorrows he's still here but his hearing is not.
At 46 I have difficulty hearing in settings with noisy backgrounds, the doc told me hearing aids, though better than years ago, aren't very effective if filtering out background noises. So when necessary I'll just ask the person to repeat theirself.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:42 AM

19,430 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Yeah, but you live with the poster child.
Low blow... (He wants to know how he got dragged into this.)

Quote:
At least you can get him to go out to dinner. Getting my parents out of the house is nearly impossible and very frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
LOL, that's the funny part, my dad just got a hearing aid. He's in his late 80s and he just now agreed to getting one. He was just saying last night, "I don't think these things are working as well as they were." I screamed back at him, "You think?!" (Just kidding.) Anyway, Chow says a battery check is in order.

And to WF, no, we certainly don't have any trouble getting him out of the house, but that's when the real damage begins.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 09-24-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-24-2011, 10:45 AM

19,430 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
At 46 I have difficulty hearing in settings with noisy backgrounds, the doc told me hearing aids, though better than years ago, aren't very effective if filtering out background noises. So when necessary I'll just ask the person to repeat theirself.
Yes, I hear that all the time, including from my dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships