Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 11:02 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times

Advertisements

I remember my dad always getting on my grandpa about hearing aids. After a lifetime of playing brass instruments, Grandpa was pretty near stone deaf, but refused to do anything about it, other than complain that everyone was mumbling. Dad's thing was that if you can't see, you go get glasses. If you can't hear, get a hearing aid. What's the hangup?

And happy birthday to Braunwyn!

Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Low blow... (He wants to know how he got dragged into this.)
It's like I would avoid certain family functions because something would always happen and I'd get blamed for it and my brother was begging me to come over to my dad's once and I said no and he said, "You'll get blamed for everything whether you are here or not so why not come over."

Old 09-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
LOL, that's the funny part, my dad just got a hearing aid. He's in his late 80s and he just now agreed to getting one. He was just saying last night, "I don't think these things are working as well as they were." I screamed back at him, "You think?!" (Just kidding.) Anyway, Chow says a battery check is in order.
The couple next door to me were both deaf. She could hear a bit, but not much with a hearing aid and he could never hear a thing his whole life.

My bedroom window looked over a small side yard then their driveway past some greenery. I was doing a night audit so I was in bed sound asleep at something like 7:00 p.m. and he had been out vacuuming the car out and he accidentally hit the knob on the radio and at full blast I was just jolted awake and out of bed by the baseball game on the radio and he couldn't hear it or me if I tried to tell him. I literally shot right up like 'wth?" You'd have thought they were playing baseball in my bedroom. He finally parked it in the garage and turned the car off. I pity anyone that got in the passenger side the next day or if he rolled the windows down driving to some real bad music cranked up.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:31 AM

19,430 posts, read 15,259,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I remember my dad always getting on my grandpa about hearing aids. After a lifetime of playing brass instruments, Grandpa was pretty near stone deaf, but refused to do anything about it, other than complain that everyone was mumbling. Dad's thing was that if you can't see, you go get glasses. If you can't hear, get a hearing aid. What's the hangup?
That's exactly what my dad does. What I can't understand, is how everyone else understands my mumbling so well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
The couple next door to me were both deaf. She could hear a bit, but not much with a hearing aid and he could never hear a thing his whole life.

My bedroom window looked over a small side yard then their driveway past some greenery. I was doing a night audit so I was in bed sound asleep at something like 7:00 p.m. and he had been out vacuuming the car out and he accidentally hit the knob on the radio and at full blast I was just jolted awake and out of bed by the baseball game on the radio and he couldn't hear it or me if I tried to tell him. I literally shot right up like 'wth?" You'd have thought they were playing baseball in my bedroom. He finally parked it in the garage and turned the car off. I pity anyone that got in the passenger side the next day or if he rolled the windows down driving to some real bad music cranked up.
LOL! That's why I always turn the radio down before I turn it off, and the same with the TV. Sometimes you're watching a movie and you have to turn the volume up to about 30. The usual volume is around 10. So I always turn it down before I turn it off. Otherwise it's heart attack city the next time you turn it on.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:09 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Quote:
Yes, I hear that all the time, including from my dad.
I'm sorry, what? I didn't hear you, wife has the freakin' TV on.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:12 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Quote:
That's exactly what my dad does. What I can't understand, is how everyone else understands my mumbling so well...

LOL! That's why I always turn the radio down before I turn it off, and the same with the TV. Sometimes you're watching a movie and you have to turn the volume up to about 30. The usual volume is around 10. So I always turn it down before I turn it off. Otherwise it's heart attack city the next time you turn it on.
My car radio has and "on" volume setting so no matter how high the volume when turned off it stays at the preset next time it's turned on.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I'm sorry, what? I didn't hear you, wife has the freakin' TV on.
Haha, you just reminded me of another thing. We always mute the TV when commercials come on, because they drive us nuts, especially when they're so much louder than whatever you were watching. My dad has his TV on at bearable levels, but when the stupid commericals come on, it's just blaring. Chow and I are sitting there with our eyes squinted shut, our hair blowing back, and blood trickling out of our ears.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
My car radio has and "on" volume setting so no matter how high the volume when turned off it stays at the preset next time it's turned on.
Really? I've never heard of that. Chow is saying he thinks the stereo he bought does that. Now that's "new and improved."

Old 09-24-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Really? I've never heard of that. Chow is saying he thinks the stereo he bought does that. Now that's "new and improved."
I had a stereo where you put in the CD and it read it for the loudest point and adjusted the sound on it's own. It was pretty cool.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I had a stereo where you put in the CD and it read it for the loudest point and adjusted the sound on it's own. It was pretty cool.
What will they think of next? I suppose these features you guys are talking about have probably been around for a while. I just don't pay attention to stuff like that. My loss (including my sense of hearing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships