Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women: What percentage of the male population do you find attractive?
0, besides my husband or/so. 4 4.30%
0-24% 68 73.12%
25-49% 11 11.83%
50-74% 7 7.53%
75%+ 3 3.23%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times

Advertisements

3 percent of population is chased---- the rest is ignored
this IS a genderless game
This is sad but understandable
What is not understandable is if there is one thing an American
can't stand is a slob but they r perfectly ok being one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 09:44 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,145,464 times
Honestly, out of 100 men, there are probably 5 or less I'd find attractive based sheerly on appearance. I don't have specific standards (ie. he doesn't need to be a certain height or race or whatever), but I just don't find that many men catching my eye in that way. I can even acknowledge some men as good-looking & not find myself attracted to them... attraction has a sort of mystery to it.

There are definitely men I've found attractive after talking to them or observing their personality, but they would not have fallen into the "immediately attractive" category. Conversely, I've lost interest in some men once they've opened their mouth or I've observed their unattractive behavior. It probably all evens out.... So less than 5% it is.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 PM

31 posts, read 55,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Honestly, out of 100 men, there are probably 5 or less I'd find attractive based sheerly on appearance. I don't have specific standards (ie. he doesn't need to be a certain height or race or whatever), but I just don't find that many men catching my eye in that way. I can even acknowledge some men as good-looking & not find myself attracted to them... attraction has a sort of mystery to it.

There are definitely men I've found attractive after talking to them or observing their personality, but they would not have fallen into the "immediately attractive" category. Conversely, I've lost interest in some men once they've opened their mouth or I've observed their unattractive behavior. It probably all evens out.... So less than 5% it is.
I know this topic is old but I was just have to reply to this because I really want the opinion on females on what I'm about to say below.. Since my breakup with my Ex GF as a male I've found this dating,sex,relationship psychology stuff very interesting. A recent post from OkCupid an online dating site stated that a poll done on women found that 80% of guys were BELOW AVERAGE in looks in their website using looks alone for this. To the contrary when guys were polled they found well over half of the girls on the website to be at least above average looks wise.

Numerous psychology studies have been done in the past showing men are more motivated to date a women based on LOOKS ALONE while ignoring other things about her and her personality. On the surface though this new statistic would make women seem are shallow and even more picky than men wouldn't it? The problem is it is largely the exact opposite of that. In other words very few men can appeal to a woman by looks alone or women only consider a small proportion of men attractive based on looks alone. On the contrary very few women could appeal to men on personality alone without at least some good looks. I admit I'm generalizing here.

I could be an ugly guy, (maybe I am I'd have to ask you ladies) but I feel that I'm at least "average" when compared to most the male population, and a lot of my friends are average looking guys. While it's true I met my Ex GF on Tinder, do you know what one of the most attractive things she stated to me were on my photo? The telescope in the background because she liked space, and found a common ground and intelligence in that. She told me there always has to be something more than just looks and that's what did it for her and why she messaged me back.

Eventually she ended up cheating on me with a coworker and we broke up. I'm not going to go into details about that here obviously, and it's a totally different story. The point is women are attracted to men based on a ton of things probably many of which they might not fully understand, but these things have little to do with looks. While in my case I got lucky or unlucky depending on what you want to say, that telescope was probably one of these finer details that a women would notice and that I didn't even think about.

This also displays the real problem with online dating. Men find a variety of women attractive, but they they are focused on looks alone. Women get messaged by these men constantly, their inbox is inundated with messages from men they don't find attractive at all because it's very hard to get a women aroused sexually or emotionally with just a photo and looks. In other words some of these guys that message women and get ignored might have a chance if they could actually somehow talk to these women they are messaging and try to find some common ground.

This would also lead me to my final point that men would have a higher chance with finding a female companion (correct me if I'm wrong ladies), by simply confidently talking to women in real life, finding common interests, letting the women do most the talking, and sharing experiences etc. This would explain why online dating doesn't work very well for men, and even women too. The reason why it's like this is because based on evolution men would actively find traits in women based on looks alone to see if they are healthy and fertile.

Women stand to have more to lose by getting pregnant etc. and therefore they are looking for a man as a protector, provider, etc. which boils down into a lot of complexities of things they find attractive in men outside of looks.

Last edited by ComputerProgrammer; 09-01-2015 at 08:15 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 08:24 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,857 times
Hey based on the percentages posted here by the ladies, my fellow men we are in trouble in the attractiveness department or should I say we are in deep sh#t? .

Old 09-01-2015, 08:50 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Hey based on the percentages posted here by the ladies, my fellow men we are in trouble in the attractiveness department or should I say we are in deep sh#t? .
I'm not at the least worried about a CD poll; it doesn't reflect reality, just people's imaginations, Lol.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Did you read my reply? It doesn't mean we are in deep ****, it just means most men can't just rely on looks to attract women and expect it to work by posting a couple photos online and messaging women etc. That's all it means in my opinion.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:22 AM

332 posts, read 294,712 times
I didn't use your age range of -10 because 10 years younger than me is 13.. LOL. I'm usually not attracted to people that are my age, let alone younger. But I would say the percentage of guys I'm attracted to are probably around 10% or less. I have a very specific kind of "look" I go for.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
I didn't use your age range of -10 because 10 years younger than me is 13.. LOL. I'm usually not attracted to people that are my age, let alone younger. But I would say the percentage of guys I'm attracted to are probably around 10% or less. I have a very specific kind of "look" I go for.
But looking at my reply if some guy didn't fit exactly your "kind of look" but he wasn't repulsive but shared a lot of similar interests and there was emotional connection coupled with the fact you felt safe around him. Would you go out with him then?

Old 09-02-2015, 07:13 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,578 times
Quote:
I don't know, that seems reasonable to me. If I had to estimate I would say I'm attracted to maybe 10 to 15% of women, which is still a lot. In 2013 according to the Census Bureau there were 157 million females in the U.S. Fifteen percent of that is 23,550,000. Of course this figure would be reduced significantly after things were included (in my case someone who smoked or wanted kids), but the number would still be high. The point of this though is even if one is attracted to only 10 to 15 percent, that is still a high number. So saying that we are in deep s**t is quite an exaggeration to say the least.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:29 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerProgrammer View Post
Did you read my reply? It doesn't mean we are in deep ****, it just means most men can't just rely on looks to attract women and expect it to work by posting a couple photos online and messaging women etc. That's all it means in my opinion.
I honestly think this is the truth. That OKCupid poll you quoted, while women found 80% of guys below average, there were a lot more inclined to contact men (even the ones they didn't find physically attractive).

Here is the quote from OKC:

Quote:

As you can see from the gray line, women rate an incredible 80% of guys as worse-looking than medium. Very harsh. On the other hand, when it comes to actual messaging, women shift their expectations only just slightly ahead of the curve, which is a healthier pattern than guys’ pursuing the all-but-unattainable.
(The pattern they are referencing the flip side of things where men found 50% of the women above average, but 2/3 of the men only tried to contact the top 1/3 of women on the "good looks" scale).

Women are all individuals and complex. Despite what some posters think here, they aren't machines that work to a formula and they aren't all alike in what attracts them. Some may put a premium on looks, others don't. And it's all to varying degrees too. And it seems that for women, physical attraction is "more" than just looks and can be altered by the non-physical pretty easily. In the very first response someone said, "before or after he opens his mouth?"

Overall, yes, looks will effect how much women in general are attracted to you. Looks are what everyone sees first of course. But it's not the be all end all, if you are an average or even below average looking guy, you have other options to build on to attract a woman. Yeah, maybe if you are a 5 you aren't going to attract the woman who puts a premium on looks. But for every woman out there who values looks, there is another one who values making her laugh more, or someone who is on the same page with values and life goals more, or being a good provider more, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships