Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,324,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yeah, that's it! You place your order, send your first-rate prepaid envelope, and you get a bride in your mailbox! What's the current rate...? 44 cents, I believe.

That just comes to show how clueless most commenting on the subject are.

No i mean you finance their place trip and visa process

Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
See, we all have issues, but I at least admit mine. I've never been arrogant even when things were going well. Its just not me. I know my weaknesses (confidence, communication), but I think I have most of what women claim to want. The issue now iscareer, so I'm not really trying that hard with women. If the career gets fixed (hopefully VERY soon), then we'll see how serious women are about wanting a nice, loyal, honest, athletic, fun, intelligent, family oriented, and well groomed guy who has worked very hard on himself (especially communication with women) and learned from his mistakes. We will see...

Chances are you won't have much trouble because you seem like a decent enough guy .

Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,063,166 times
I'm not sure why people are being so judgmental concerning men who seek foreign brides. There's been a lot of disinformation spread in this thread about the motives and character of those men. We've had suggestions that they are looking for "submissive" or "subservient" women, among other negative stereotypes.

People who connect romantically have one thing in common: they meet one another's needs. It isn't for the rest of us to judge whether or not two individuals should form a union. They do it on their terms and for their reasons. Those needs may be physical, intellectual, financial, emotional, political, etc. Whatever the reason(s); it really isn't any different from the mating strategies used by people who meet at school, work, or church--it's merely an expansion of the pool of available mates.

Most of this conversation has centered around the men involved in these relationships. What is left out of that picture is the women. These women often have difficulty finding a compatible mate within their own cultures. Many of them come from cultures in which women tend to be better educated and more socially adept than men. Unfortunately, those same cultures encourage men to "marry-down" within the culture. This leaves those women with fewer opportunities in finding mates.

It's easy to wax poetically about love, but "love" is just a combination of other needs: sex, economic union, friendship. There are no "soul mates"; there are only people who you happen to meet at the right time, in the right place, and under the right circumstances. It's truly wonderful when happens, so why criticize anyone for trying.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I'm not sure why people are being so judgmental concerning men who seek foreign brides. There's been a lot of disinformation spread in this thread about the motives and character of those men. We've had suggestions that they are looking for "submissive" or "subservient" women, among other negative stereotypes.

People who connect romantically have one thing in common: they meet one another's needs. It isn't for the rest of us to judge whether or not two individuals should form a union. They do it on their terms and for their reasons. Those needs may be physical, intellectual, financial, emotional, political, etc. Whatever the reason(s); it really isn't any different from the mating strategies used by people who meet at school, work, or church--it's merely an expansion of the pool of available mates.

Most of this conversation has centered around the men involved in these relationships. What is left out of that picture is the women. These women often have difficulty finding a compatible mate within their own cultures. Many of them come from cultures in which women tend to be better educated and more socially adept than men. Unfortunately, those same cultures encourage men to "marry-down" within the culture. This leaves those women with fewer opportunities in finding mates.

It's easy to wax poetically about love, but "love" is just a combination of other needs: sex, economic union, friendship. There are no "soul mates"; there are only people who you happen to meet at the right time, in the right place, and under the right circumstances. It's truly wonderful when happens, so why criticize anyone for trying.

We aren't judging men seeking foreign brides, just men who think that all woman are goldigging snots, and those women are all at fault for the reason they can't maintain a relationship.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,240,420 times
Quote:

You want to know why this thread has stirred up so much trouble and garnered so much criticism? I bolded the reasons for you below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtownKeith View Post
I ve had no luck with western women well American women in particular. I'm just clueless as to what they want. Here I am a nice job , a nice apartment, non violent don't drink too much and I can't seem to land a gal!? I'm the first to admit I'm not exactly Brad Pitt but there are other things in this world besides outward appearances.
Really this last couple dates I had broke the camels back so to speak. A nice dinner (not inexpensive) followed by a movie and some very awkward goodbyes where I was able to get a kiss on the lips from the 2nd date.
But again , no call backs no returned emails or replies to friendship requests on facebook.
I've decided American women are impossible to please. I've been reading up on Thai women and their culture is completely different to ours. From what I''m told via some online acquaintances I would be viewed as quite the catch by Thai standards. I make upwards of 70k , a stable personality, a home, a car etc. It feels right, especially since I've always favored Asian women and their natural tans compared with ginger or fair skinned American gals. Anywho I plan on traveling to Bangkok just after New Years to make some inquiries.
I'll keep you all updated wish me luck!
This thread hasn't been just about finding compatibility with a foreign woman. This thread has been a dig at all American women and it's ridiculous.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:49 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,771,026 times
Quote:

I just don't see why a man who is frustrated trying to date American women thinks he'll have a good result by "ordering" a bride from overseas. It seems like the men who are considering it are looking for a good companion and a loyal wife. But the women who are looking to become mail-order brides are seeking American citizenship and the American lifestyle. The two might fall in love or at least make a go of a partnership, but the odds certainly aren't any better than marrying a casual acquaintance in America. I just don't see it as a real solution for someone looking for a true companion.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:49 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,810,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Exactly! Men seem to place far too much emphasis on physical beauty and will deal with a completely incompatible, mean, bitchy woman simply because she's 'hot'. I've seen it with plenty of my guy friends... Thought they eventually grow up and realize that looks aren everything.

I think I'm looking for the impossible relationship... I'm 28 and looking fo a man who doesn't do any drugs, hasn't been in jail, has a job, has no children and preferably (although it's getting near impossible) hasn't been married.

So far, no real luck. Maybe I should get a mail order (male order?). Husband
You're not looking for the impossible at all, but you seem to be in the minority of women. I have all of thise things except a job, but do you know anyone unaffected by this economy? I mean, being temporarily out of a job shouldn't be a dealbreaker, but I'm not naive and I know it is.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:51 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,810,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Chances are you won't have much trouble because you seem like a decent enough guy .
Thanks Lucidkitty, I appreciate that. I try, thats for sure.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:03 PM

85 posts, read 139,350 times
Originally Posted by Atlguy39
Kim, no I'm not expecting Angelina Jolie. I am expecting a woman I'm attracted to. I think I should be able to be with a woman who's attractive. Why not? Having said that, everyone has different taste. Also, a woman who society would consider a "10" probably knows she's a 10 and has an attitude to go with it. So personality plays a factor. I can't be with a woman who looks perfect but is bitchy and stuck up. So I'm willing to concede some of that to find someone who has great personality traits and values. I also tend to like low maintenance brunettes (vs high maintenance fake blondes. And I know not all are, just an example) with long hair and a pretty face. Many guys prefer blondes. So everyone's idea of perfect is different.

I wish I could go back in time 10 years and start over with more confidence. I probably could have had my pick if I had more confidence. I was younger and career was on the rise (or so I thought at the time). Instead, I wasted 7 years with the wrong woman, took over 2 years trying to get over her, and here I am. Now 43 and divorced with a failing career, so not much opportunity with women.

Fair enough Atlguy. You should be with someone you're attracted to, but you have to allow for the possibility that what you're attracted to isn't attracted to you. You want a woman that's attractive; are you attractive? One of my rules is that you have to make sure you bring something comparable to the table in response to what you demand. Hold up a photo of someone you want and look in the mirror and ask yourself if this match makes any sense. You want a pretty brunette in good shape (I assume) but are you in good shape? Are you reasonably attractive compared to what you want? A lot of guys assume that they're "nice" and have a decent job and that's all women want, but women want someone they're attracted to also. If you're getting a quick peck on the cheek at then end of dinned she's not attracted to you; I've been there. You're not entitled to more simply because you bought dinner; it's all about finding someone you click with. Maybe don't spend so much finding out if you click? Go out for coffee and see if there's anything there. And for God sakes, get over your ex. If you wasted years of your life on the wrong woman, own that choice and don't bring that baggage into the next relationship. Both men and women can smell someone that still upset about the ex and nobody wants to deal with that. We all make mistakes; live in the here and now and give each possibility a real chance. Just trying to help.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,693,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
You're not looking for the impossible at all, but you seem to be in the minority of women. I have all of thise things except a job, but do you know anyone unaffected by this economy? I mean, being temporarily out of a job shouldn't be a dealbreaker, but I'm not naive and I know it is.
There's a big difference in getting laid off while working to improve your situation and being unable to get a job because you didn't graduate high school, have no desire to better your chances of landing a job (school, trade training etc), or can't pass a simple drug test.

If I lost my job, I wouldn't expect a man to want to date me at all. There's a huge difference in temporary job loss and chronic unemployment. I've dated men who were chronically jobless by their own accord and I'm not here to be a sugar momma, nor do I expect a man to pay my way. Even on dates I ALWAYS offer to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships