Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 PM

56 posts, read 265,990 times

Advertisements

What's up with old flings/flames trying to friend on FB. I'm long married with kids and people from as long ago as 15-years-old are trying to contact me or my spouse. We've had exes messaging family, calling/texting cells, FB is the worst.

Is this normal? We don't think it's good to keep contact with past lovers. I wouldn't dream of trying to friend a HS BF. is it just us? I think it's like the golden rule. I'd hate it if my DH was talking to an ex. Hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:36 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
It's one of those things that is different for everyone. I am FB friends with a couple of exes, and so is my hubby. I always let him know and he returns the courtesy. There is only one he ever objected to, and that person's friend request was denied. He has a couple I would ban as well, one of them actually tried to contact him and he immediately told me and deleted her request. I guess it just depends.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 PM

17 posts, read 28,685 times
you can say that again..my ex is still calling me and wanting us to meet up..i just don't see the point..
we ended our relationship because there's definitely something wrong with us..and it's not gonna change..

Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
My husband and I are both friends with our exes on FB. I'm also still really close friends with my exes in real life - he's married and the four of us get together all the time. I guess this just depends on the people. I'm still on good terms with most of the guys that I dated.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:59 PM

527 posts, read 1,232,739 times
Facebook makes it easy for other people to find it. It also makes it easy for you to ignore them

Old 01-21-2012, 12:24 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
I don't see the need. There is always the block/ingore feature. My mouth breathing ex wife sent a facebook friends request about a month ago. I told her to **** off.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
This is a personal issue, and will differ from person to person.

For me, it would depend on the ex, how the relationship was, how it ended, etc.

I can see an ex where we left on good terms, where there is no romantic tension anymore, and where we could be friendly acquaintances to be "friends" on facebook. On the flip side, if it was someone where we had an ugly breakup, or unresolved feelings, or that sort of thing I may not want them as friends.

If someone you don't want to reconnect with is being pushy, just block them.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:58 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,174 times
It also works for old flames and crushes that never would of gave you the time of day back in your teens and college days.

Seems after some bad relationships (maybe a failed marriage), a kid or three + 50 pounds and that boring, formerly undateable person with a stable income is looking pretty good! Makes for a fun night of laughs. If you're already in a relationship, don't bother befriending them. If you're still single well... that's what the ignore feature is for.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:25 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceing0ntheCake View Post
What's up with old flings/flames trying to friend on FB. I'm long married with kids and people from as long ago as 15-years-old are trying to contact me or my spouse. We've had exes messaging family, calling/texting cells, FB is the worst.

Is this normal? We don't think it's good to keep contact with past lovers. I wouldn't dream of trying to friend a HS BF. is it just us? I think it's like the golden rule. I'd hate it if my DH was talking to an ex. Hate it.

I think they don't want to put the effort into finding someone new if they think they can recycle and rehook up with someone from the past.Lazy and boring.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:10 PM

505 posts, read 1,664,704 times
I am also friends with some of my exes and think it's perfectly fine. I think more than anything else, it's just for laughs. I have been contacted by exes and I have contacted exes myself just to "check in" and see how they are. FB makes it easy to chat with exes and not have the awkward in-person conversation about your life post the relationship. To be honest, I don't think anyone is looking for a quick sack if you both have kids and family and if they are, then there are bigger issues than just "friending" someone you haven't seen or contacted in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships