Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 AM

199 posts, read 391,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A study that shows that you actually have to spend time with someone to truly evaluate if you are compatible?

Ok...
Amazing....there is no substitute for physical, intellectual or emotional compatibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 12:25 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,407,166 times
It's the exception, rather than the rule, that these venues lead to successful relationships. The raise false hopes, rake in cash and differ little from telegenic televangelist's TV shows with 800 numbers.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:33 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,454,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Harmony is probably the best thing that ever happened to ugly women
Where else can a gal get long lines of hot suitors fussing over her with just a Few fake pics and profile?
Ha ha. Love it!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:42 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Ha ha. Love it!
i enjoy the time spent in all my activities inc eharmony and CDF its all been part of my growth and development.
//www.city-data.com/forum/image...2&type=profile

Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,746,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
You meant men who were in US but were of Indian origin? If you didn't want to be contacted by a person of Indian origin, you should have specified that in your profile itself and you could have saved yourself the trouble of reading through their messages.

Btw, not everyone who's of Indian origin necessarily has poor English. I performed much better than most American students on standardized tests one of which included Test of English as a foreign language, so it's perhaps for you not to generalize the ability of people to speak English just because they happen to be from a non English speaking nation.

No, I meant men born in India, not Americanized Indian men. And I would never put "Please don't contact me if you're Indian" in a profile for the very obvious reasons.

Also, I didn't say people of Indian origin and non American citizens have poor English -- you did.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,621,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
From the Wall Street Journal: Online Dating Isn’t the Likely Route to Mr. or Ms. Right: Study - Health Blog - WSJ

PDF of uncorrected proof of scientific paper: Online Dating: A Critical Analysis From the Perspective of Psychological Science

Take-home message: Online dating sites are nice for meeting new people, but there is no substitute for face-to-face communication. As one researcher put it, "use the online dating sight to get off-line." In other words, meet off-line as quickly as possible to see if there is that that intangible but necessary spark of chemistry.
Great OP. It is a good way to initially meet. Some people live in god-forsaken rural areas or even college towns with little night life (like me, for the moment, lol)

That said there are some fun and decent people online . Its just a numbers game.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,809,152 times
Online dating is horrible especially for a man since most of the sites have more men than women...this turns the women into grocery checklisters and makes them feel like they can afford to be choosier than they really can.

I used online dating for years and had nothing but frustration then I found the greatest girl in the world in real life just by asking her out to dinner.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:42 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,822,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock-Os View Post
Obvious study is obvious.
I know right???? I mean I am usually pro-research, but in this case I'm like DUH. You can Google "online dating" and get that same advice from an old Redbook article or something. Heh. You're only supposed to use it as a tool to make initial contact with more people. Exchange a few emails, make a phonecall, then meet in person ASAP. It's suppose to supplement going out to bars, meeting friends or friends, etc. Yikes.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,809,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Online dating is horrible especially for a man since most of the sites have more men than women...this turns the women into grocery checklisters and makes them feel like they can afford to be choosier than they really can.

I used online dating for years and had nothing but frustration then I found the greatest girl in the world in real life just by asking her out to dinner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I know right???? I mean I am usually pro-research, but in this case I'm like DUH. You can Google "online dating" and get that same advice from an old Redbook article or something. Heh. You're only supposed to use it as a tool to make initial contact with more people. Exchange a few emails, make a phonecall, then meet in person ASAP. It's suppose to supplement going out to bars, meeting friends or friends, etc. Yikes.
Well for a man it's a lot harder to use... it's much more useable as a tool for women. Since men are the ones that generally write the letters the women can just sit back and decide to read how ever many they want to one night. It's more of a carrot-on-a-stick thing for a man. We write the letters and if a woman writes back a little 2 sentence reply we have to gauge interest level based on that and decide whether to continue the chase or not.

So glad I'm done with it and never have to use it again. Wasted hours and hours of my time and probably over a thousand dollars through the years.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,822,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Well for a man it's a lot harder to use... it's much more useable as a tool for women. Since men are the ones that generally write the letters the women can just sit back and decide to read how ever many they want to one night. It's more of a carrot-on-a-stick thing for a man. We write the letters and if a woman writes back a little 2 sentence reply we have to gauge interest level based on that and decide whether to continue the chase or not.

So glad I'm done with it and never have to use it again. Wasted hours and hours of my time and probably over a thousand dollars through the years.
Well I do think you have a valid point. Though men are traditionally the ones to do most of the initial approaching in real life as well (therefore taking on most of the initial risk for rejection) I think the problem must be compounded tenfold on line. At least in real life you can see a woman and gauge if she seems interested before you approach. Online unless the woman writes you first, you have no idea.

Though I do have to say from experience, we may get to lay back and read responses without lifting a finger if we so choose, but 90% of those emails are laughable to downright creepy. Even if they seem sane of the first pass by the second email they are explicitly talking about having sex with you. Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships