Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:12 AM

18,257 posts, read 14,492,879 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm one of those naive people that thought people e-mailed each other or some other communication for a few weeks , before meeting. It just never crossed my mind that people would meet at these sites and then automatically meet in real life. Hmm. I've never been on a dating site, myself, so not sure how it all works. Interesting thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 07:38 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,360,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Well, I'm one of those naive people that thought people e-mailed each other or some other communication for a few weeks , before meeting. It just never crossed my mind that people would meet at these sites and then automatically meet in real life. Hmm. I've never been on a dating site, myself, so not sure how it all works. Interesting thread.
Well, that's what normal people with serious intentions do. However, if you need some fast food promptly delivered, you can probably have it within an hour or so.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM

42,762 posts, read 53,031,748 times
Online dating isn't for everyone. Ha not for me certainly.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,210,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Some posters have boasted a bit of their Eharmony success
Like my gambler friends happy to discuss winnings but not the losses
For women I think eharmony is a validation machine

Please put "for SOME women" as you do not know me. I have tried the online dating thing, and actually DID meet someone who I ended up dating for a while...just not enough of spark there for me. But a good guy.

I will probably try it again. I wont do it because I need 'validation' on any darn thing. Sheesh i just want to explore other ways of meeting people; that's it. Period. I dont want to have an 'online' relationship. i just want to use it because it may enable me to meet more like minded people more quickly than I would any other way.

I would just use the internet as an introduction, and then meet in person. I thought that was a given. Didnt know we needed a study to confirm that.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM

109 posts, read 128,861 times
Obvious study is obvious. I have to say, the younger 20's generation is unfortantly either shut in or idiotic. Its really hard to get people to open up. As much as I like to try and meet people, either I can't find someone my own age out were I live or when I do it is a bit of a fight to start a conversation.

As far as the Internet goes, it's definitly a numbers game, and only a tool to find people. I myself am picky about the girls I message, but I think it's less about standards and more about matching up the important stuff.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:17 PM

864 posts, read 1,461,137 times
I am actually dating someone right now that I met on POF (shock of shocks). He's decent, kind, respectful and very attractive. It's been almost 2 months, and again, I'm shocked I found a guy of his quality on POF (I got messages from a lot of losers/perverts). Two of my cousins (who are attractive, educated, and have their lives together) found their husbands on online dating sites. So, I say pooey to that article/study!

Old 04-15-2012, 12:00 AM

474 posts, read 497,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
first week or so joined one site got dozens of messages from males and was so relieved -- then figured out 98% of them were from males in india and other countries in that region. no offense to Indians they had poor English and i could barely read some of their messages. I never responded but point is, most of it was a joke & no idea why they just randomly send messages to women like that, no screening or anything. just throw something to the wall and see if it sticks. I beleive that's how men approach women in general, it's just a numbers game to them.
You meant men who were in US but were of Indian origin? If you didn't want to be contacted by a person of Indian origin, you should have specified that in your profile itself and you could have saved yourself the trouble of reading through their messages.

Btw, not everyone who's of Indian origin necessarily has poor English. I performed much better than most American students on standardized tests one of which included Test of English as a foreign language, so it's perhaps for you not to generalize the ability of people to speak English just because they happen to be from a non English speaking nation.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,677,343 times
Harmony is probably the best thing that ever happened to ugly women
Where else can a gal get long lines of hot suitors fussing over her with just a Few fake pics and profile?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,591,263 times
A study that shows that you actually have to spend time with someone to truly evaluate if you are compatible?

Ok...

Old 04-15-2012, 10:57 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,591,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
My point was: don't contact people on a dating site when you don't even speak the same language as them, simply b/c it's a woman. Isn't that obvious?

It wasn't a numbers game to me. I wasn't just contacting any and every man on there.
Ya. how dare they axe you out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships