Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:49 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,010,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Actually, I needed experience to tell me that, Bricky.

In the 7 years I was off the market with the ex-hub (1998 to 2005), that was when all of the online stuff really took off. Dating had become vastly different. It was like navigating uncharted waters.

BTW, he met his current wife through Yahoo personals, back then. He and I cracked up when we showed up in each other's suggested matches. We actually hung out one night and showed each other who we thought was interesting. Hell, the photos on his profile were ones I had taken on our trips together. I scanned them in for him to use.
I was on the market around that time, used a number of different sites. The one thing I experienced as many of the other posters was the amount of deceiving with the photos and descriptions, just incredible. Then you go for the coffee date and OMG - what a bunch of wack jobs. Only two of the woman were normal. Funny thing though, my wife was on one of the sites I was on, was never matched up - met her in an ice cream shop, totally informal and great ice cream!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 10:49 AM

526 posts, read 955,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Never would I do that.

I use to only correspond with guys within an hour drive away and would meet them within 1-2 weeks of chatting.
Same here. The whole point of online dating is to have access to a larger pool of "available" singles, but once you have exchanged emails with someone you find interesting, then meet them ASAP.

I must say though that going on date after date after date becomes tiring. When I get tired, I just hide my profile and take a few months off or what I like to call a "mini-sabbatical".

Good to know you met you SO online, Miss Crabcakes. Stories like yours give me hope

Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,387,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGirl View Post
Same here. The whole point of online dating is to have access to a larger pool of "available" singles, but once you have exchanged emails with someone you find interesting, then meet them ASAP.

I must say though that going on date after date after date becomes tiring. When I get tired, I just hide my profile and take a few months off or what I like to call a "mini-sabbatical".

Good to know you met you SO online, Miss Crabcakes. Stories like yours give me hope
Awww, thanks! I was like you, I'd make my profile inactive for awhile and when I got tired, go active again. I did online dating off and on for 3 years before I found my hubs and was totally not expecting to. So it was not an instant thing.

But a friend of mine just got engaged after meeting her honey online and she makes another of a long list of people I know in committed relationships.

But its great for openine a pool of new singles. I would have never met mine in person as we didn't hang in the same spots. Ya never know.

Last edited by Miss Crabcakes; 02-07-2012 at 11:25 AM..

Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM

400 posts, read 850,108 times
I wasn't aware that online dating is only really useful for meeting people was news. I didn't think most people were under the delusion that most of the interaction should take place online. Perhaps its the name "online dating"...it makes it sound like the dates take place online, instead of just being set up online.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,668,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
It seems the only thing that is a benefit of online dating is finding no strings attached sex partners.
If you do this, I hope that you tell the woman up front (read: before sex) that this is what you want.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,630,166 times
Havine met my wife on match.com and knowing lots of other people that have as well I disagree with anyone who discourages usage of online dating sites.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
internet dating is for the young and beautiful, it is utterly brutal for those over 40. lack of disclosure and deception are rampant. hooking up is far more difficult than 50 years ago.
40% of posters on eharmony are married men posing as single. if 1 in 3 americans are obese, then how can all women on eharmony be physically fit?
i have met a few attractive persons on eharmony and they very very crazy.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i once flew to nashville to meet a woman i had emailed and talked to on the phone for months. lots of cute pics. when i met her she was hump backed and had 1 eye. she had cropped the photos.
i didnt say a word-- wined and dined her and left the next day (its ok my uncle lives only 4 hours away so i spent the time with the family).
she never brought up her appearance and i didnt either. i noticed she did lots and lots of affirmations, she was a sales person. u will hear about it alot on CDF when i post these threads about eharmony liars. trust me when angry posters tell me to stop repeating this story, they know how to crop a photo.
No honey. The reason I ask you to stop repeating it (over and over and over) is because ANYONE that has used an online dating site, for any length of time, is going to have at least ONE horror story. Anyone that has gone out to a BAR and met people, will also have a few horror stories. It doesn't matter what the venue is...you are going to get smacked by a liar at some point in time. You don't give up on dating just because you take a few tumbles.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
internet dating is for the young and beautiful, it is utterly brutal for those over 40.
I'm over 40, and it surely has not been brutal for me....far from it in fact.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,059,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGirl View Post

Yeah, that is the best way to do it. Meet soon after a few emails. I went out with about 5 women in two weeks, and then get tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships