Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is blonde hair and blue eyes still viewed as the most attractive in American society today?
Yes, more attractive than any other type of hair and eye color combination 24 22.64%
Viewed as most attractive but that is slowly changing 8 7.55%
Not viewed as the MOST attractive but it is viewed as attractive 64 60.38%
It is not really viewed as attractive anymore 10 9.43%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:58 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,458,910 times

Advertisements

I love (prefer) olive skin, dark hair, and the color of the eyes don't matter. I dont really care for blonde hair guys.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:20 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,794,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Aren't most Miss USA beauty pageant contestants blonde/blue or blonde/green? It seems that way. Any stats on this?
This seemed like a chance at a good distraction, so I looked at the past Miss America winners, from 2012 to 1990. Of the 23 women, 3 had blonde hair and blue eyes, 7 had brunette hair and blue or light eyes, 2 had blonde hair and brown/hazel eyes, and the rest had brunette hair and brown/hazel eyes, including 7 non-white women.

But let's not forget Miss USA. The pageant hasn't taken place this year so there were only 22 women going back to 1990. 5 blue-eyed blondes, 1 blue-eyed brunette, 3 blondes with brown eyes, and the rest brunettes with brown/hazel eyes except the lone redhead who has blue eyes. 8 of the brown-eyed brunettes are non-white.

Some of these women have had different hair colors over the years, so I just went with the color at the time of crowning and I had to guess at some of the eye colors, especially with the older winners.

13 blondes, 16 sets of blue eyes, 31 brunettes, and 28 sets of non-blue eyes. Going by the standards of Donald Trump and the Miss America Judging Panel, it's the dark eyed brunettes who best represent beauty in America.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,156,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
I am trying to make this more about features rather than race.

I have heard it consistently, Blonde hair and blue eyes are beautiful. As a man with Black hair, olive (or light brown) skin, and brown eyes, I feel kind of a bit pushed aside. I am certain that people have their tastes, that is a given fact of life, yet I also believe that the more people you can win over just by features alone, the easier time you would have.

Thing is, I have a friend who is a Blonde guy with blue eyes, he is thought of as very attractive. Now he is fit and cut, I am getting there, but I feel that no matter what I do, having Black hair, brown eyes, and olive skin will stop me from being viewed as an attractive guy.

Now I always thought "tall dark and handsome" applied but I guess it doesn't here in the USA (at least not in the bible belt). What has been your experience?
Geez, I hope the blonde hair/blue eyes thing isnt the highest standard people hold others to. Otherwise, I have no hope!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 AM

395 posts, read 708,412 times
This is all shallow stuff, but that's what the ts is trying to find out, so here we go:

First, it's the face;
Second, it's the eyes;
Third it's the hair (to me the hair is pretty much irrelevant).

How they carry themselves is more important than these specific elements which the ts asked about.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,211,697 times
Quote:

I have heard it consistently, Blonde hair and blue eyes are beautiful. As a man with Black hair, olive (or light brown) skin, and brown eyes, I feel kind of a bit pushed aside. I am certain that people have their tastes, that is a given fact of life, yet I also believe that the more people you can win over just by features alone, the easier time you would have.

Thing is, I have a friend who is a Blonde guy with blue eyes, he is thought of as very attractive. Now he is fit and cut, I am getting there, but I feel that no matter what I do, having Black hair, brown eyes, and olive skin will stop me from being viewed as an attractive guy.

Now I always thought "tall dark and handsome" applied but I guess it doesn't here in the USA (at least not in the bible belt). What has been your experience?
The blue eyed, blonde ideal has usually been more about women, and even that's changed, a lot of men still prefer blondes, but plenty of men find dark haired beauties more desirable. On men I've always thought of dark hair, and eyes as more attractive, and that's a common preference among women. For me personally as a natural blue eyed, blonde, I have no interest in men who look like me, and would not want to date your friend, since I prefer men with darker coloring, and find them more attractive. It really doesn't matter what your coloring is, there will always be plenty of people who find your look the most attractive.

Having black hair, brown eyes and olive skin will NOT stop you from being viewed as attractive, I promise you many women find that coloring the MOST attractive.

Last edited by detshen; 03-15-2012 at 07:10 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 07:15 PM

406 posts, read 771,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Beauty comes in all different shapes, sizes, colors, etc. To say that a certain hair and eye color signifies beauty makes no sense to me at all.
Amen.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,751,624 times
So I guess people have never heard in their life that 'blond hair and blue eyes' especially on women has long been considered the standard of beauty in America or white women period? There's no particular reason why they are on most of the magazine covers and all over the majority of TV shows. It's just pure dumb luck? Huh, go figure.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,774,192 times
Quote:

Blonde hair and Blue eyes = irrelevant. (I personally admire red or dark hair on women No eye color preference for me either.)

Old 03-15-2012, 08:34 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,211,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
So I guess people have never heard in their life that 'blond hair and blue eyes' especially on women has long been considered the standard of beauty in America or white women period? There's no particular reason why they are on most of the magazine covers and all over the majority of TV shows. It's just pure dumb luck? Huh, go figure.
Actually many have acknowledged that used to be true for women, but times have changed greatly. Flip through any entertainment magazine, and you will see beautiful women of all different types of coloring. I picked up an US from my doctor's office, and a dark hair and eyed woman who is widely considered beautiful is the main cover, and the cover also has a sidebar with two brunetttes, only one blonde out of the four beautiful actresses, and she has brown eyes. The rest of the magazine reflects that as well. Two pages in there is a double spread of 6 famously beautiful actresses wearing gold dresses, there's not one blonde in the bunch, only one of the brunettes has blue eyes, and there is one woman who has light brown hair and blue eyes.

Last edited by detshen; 03-15-2012 at 08:55 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,751,624 times
[quote=detshen;23426669]Actually many have acknowledged that used to be true for women, but times have changed greatly. Flip through any entertainment magazine, and you will see beautiful women of all different types of coloring. I picked up an US from my doctor's office, and a dark hair and eyed woman who is widely considered beautiful is the main cover, and the cover also has a sidebar with two brunetttes, only one blonde out of the four, and she has brown eyes.[/quote]

I agree dark hair women are also considered to be beautiful today -- but lets not get it twisted into dark skinned, dark eyes are all in the same bag as these others because that's not what I been seeing....for example granted, OP said this thread wasn't about race -- but it's been slipped in there more then a few times: I prefer 'light complexion, lighter skinned women, etc. I don't care about the eye color, etc' But yea, I caught that & the general idea of what's being said. So lets not toss it all in together and pretend b/c clearly there are lines in the sand being drawn here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships