Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is blonde hair and blue eyes still viewed as the most attractive in American society today?
Yes, more attractive than any other type of hair and eye color combination 24 22.64%
Viewed as most attractive but that is slowly changing 8 7.55%
Not viewed as the MOST attractive but it is viewed as attractive 64 60.38%
It is not really viewed as attractive anymore 10 9.43%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,209,809 times

Advertisements

[quote=Doll Eyes;23426807]
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Actually many have acknowledged that used to be true for women, but times have changed greatly. Flip through any entertainment magazine, and you will see beautiful women of all different types of coloring. I picked up an US from my doctor's office, and a dark hair and eyed woman who is widely considered beautiful is the main cover, and the cover also has a sidebar with two brunetttes, only one blonde out of the four, and she has brown eyes.[/quote]

I agree dark hair women are also considered to be beautiful today -- but lets not get it twisted into dark skinned, dark eyes are all in the same bag as these others because that's not what I been seeing....for example granted, OP said this thread wasn't about race -- but it's been slipped in there more then a few times: I prefer 'light complexion, lighter skinned women, etc. I don't care about the eye color, etc' But yea, I caught that & the general idea of what's being said. So lets not toss it all in together and pretend b/c clearly there are lines in the sand being drawn here.
I was respecting the OP's request to not make this about race, but there was a wide range of skin tones, and geographical areas of origin represented in the women photographed for that magazine. Unfortunately, American beauty standards are not all inclusive yet, there was a lack of the darkest skin tones, or women with minimal eyelids. I don't think anyone would argue that we have a ways to go until our standards of beauty include the whole US population, but they are certainly more diverse than they were a few decades ago. Change is the only constant, but it takes time.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:30 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,350,764 times
Blonde hair and blue eyes are becoming more rare with each passing generation. In the 19th century, over 50% of Americans had those features. Today, only about 10% have them. As they become more rare the appeal of light hair and light eyes will probably increase. "Exotic" no longer means dark featured in America.

For me personally, I don't care about hair color, but I really enjoy a pair of light eyes (ranging from blue to light brown). Very dark eyes are quite a bit of a turn off to me because it feels like I am staring into dark pits when making eye contact.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 AM

125 posts, read 269,019 times
what about black hair and brown eyes, how is that viewed?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:37 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,155,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Blonde hair and blue eyes are becoming more rare with each passing generation. In the 19th century, over 50% of Americans had those features. Today, only about 10% have them. As they become more rare the appeal of light hair and light eyes will probably increase. "Exotic" no longer means dark featured in America.

For me personally, I don't care about hair color, but I really enjoy a pair of light eyes (ranging from blue to light brown). Very dark eyes are quite a bit of a turn off to me because it feels like I am staring into dark pits when making eye contact.
I could say the same of icy pale blue eyes - feels a bit 'cold' as someone says. But that only lasts for about a second. If the person who owns them is warm-hearted, the eye colour doesn't make a difference. But I acknowldge that's your opinion.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,772,554 times
Quote:

For those who really care that much about light-colored eyes (I could honestly care less myself though), the medical industry now has a laser-type procedure that can permanently alter a person's eye color. (It works by removing the outermost layer of the pigmented portion of the eyes -- all layers below the outermost layer are apparently much lighter.) Ergo, brown eyes can be turned into blue, etc. It costs $5000 or more though...but I really don't care either way...I am perfectly happy and content with my current eye color (hazel) to even remotely consider something like that...as far as I am concerned, brown eyes are perfectly nice and lovely too Just as nice as blue, in MHO...

Old 03-16-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
For those who really care that much about light-colored eyes (I could honestly care less myself though), the medical industry now has a laser-type procedure that can permanently alter a person's eye color. (It works by removing the outermost layer of the pigmented portion of the eyes -- all layers below the outermost layer are apparently much lighter.) Ergo, brown eyes can be turned into blue, etc. It costs $5000 or more though...but I really don't care either way...I am perfectly happy and content with my current eye color (hazel) to even remotely consider something like that...as far as I am concerned, brown eyes are perfectly nice and lovely too Just as nice as blue, in MHO...
Is there really a procedure like that?! I would imagine that to be very dangerous. I happen to have blue eyes, but I don't know if I would risk hurting my eyes to change their color if they were something different.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,772,554 times
Quote:
Is there really a procedure like that?! I would imagine that to be very dangerous. I happen to have blue eyes, but I don't know if I would risk hurting my eyes to change their color if they were something different.
Correct, there is currently a procedure -- here is a video / article link (the one I personally reviewed), which talks about it: Dr. Steven Couch talks about 'LuminEyes' that changes eye color | ksdk.com.

Not really sure about the inherent risks associated with it, though...

Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Correct, there is currently a procedure -- here is a video / article link (the one I personally reviewed), which talks about it: Dr. Steven Couch talks about 'LuminEyes' that changes eye color | ksdk.com.

Not really sure about the inherent risks associated with it, though...
Are there any patients that have had the procedure yet?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Are there any patients that have had the procedure yet?
Nevermind, I just clicked the link and saw the results. They look so real.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:59 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,209,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
what about black hair and brown eyes, how is that viewed?
It's impossible to judge beauty based solely on coloring, many very beautiful people have black hair, and brown eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.