Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:25 PM

270 posts, read 409,319 times

Advertisements

OP, you are wrong. Period. "Official" socializing is part of your wife's job. And it is not uncommon for coworkers to "unofficially" socialize. Suck it up. Your wife is a human, with a life that extends beyond your reach. Either you trust her or you don't. If you don't, go to counseling.

You were completely out of line to call her like that while she was on a business trip, and calling one of her colleagues to check up on her was unconscionable! If my husband did that to me, I'd be humiliated. And then on the way to being single, if it wasn't an isolated incident.

You need help getting over your jealousy issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
When my husband doesn't answer his cell phone while at work, I automatically assume he's busy and doesn't want to be interrupted. There is only one reason I would call a co-worker of his: and that one reason is if I was on my way to the ER. It happened and I didn't notify him. He was BUSY! His work is important. And he made it clear that I AM to interrupt even a meeting with the POTUS.

OMG, there were women and socializing! Not just "any" women but women with high-powered jobs!

MY insecurities about my "status" is not a reason to call a co-worker.

OP, I'm glad you have realized you were acting foolishly. But do you realize that contacting a co-worker puts your wife in extremely unfavorable light with regard to her co-workers and her bosses? You and she may get along well with the co-worker but you can bet your bippy that others in the co-worker's car know what happened (you checking up on her) and it has become corporate knowledge. If your wife is in line for promotion, this may have hurt her chances.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:48 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,170,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have had jobs and never was attending a party required. You are hired to do a job and no one had the right to tell you what to do in your free time. You can go to all the business seminars in the world (away from home), but I draw the line at off-duty socializing. I pick and choose who I socialize with and I do not appreciate being TOLD by anyone (especially my employer) what I need to be doing during my free time.

I would not work for anyone who would not understand and support my decision NOT to attend a party without my spouse. My philosophy is that your work should support this decision. And, to reiterate my previous statement it is a matter of respect and common courtesy to my spouse to respectfully decline under those conditions.

20yrsinBranson
I'm with you on this. I don't call drinking and "partying" work. If so, someone is making WAY too much money to be able to still afford that in 2012 s*** economy! I also don't like the idea she won't pick up the phone. If she didn't have one, that would be different. Call it way you may others. I'm with Branson on this one!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
I'm with you on this. I don't call drinking and "partying" work. If so, someone is making WAY too much money to be able to still afford that in 2012 s*** economy! I also don't like the idea she won't pick up the phone. If she didn't have one, that would be different. Call it way you may others. I'm with Branson on this one!
Some of you obviously have no experience with these kinds of jobs.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:51 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb150 View Post
My wife is 53 years old and still very attractive. She works for a small company that holds congresses yearly. She does much of the organization of these congresses and of cause wants to attend them too. Normally I join her on the last day when they hold a diner with some artists and such and maybe a dance and a lot of drinking goes on. I usually join her on the last day and the party and stay over for the night.

This year it was held at a coastal resort about a 1000 miles away. She asked me to come with but we’ve got a kid in school and my plane ticket is quite expensive so I, not wanting to be jealous, told her that ill have to miss out.

Problem is that the delegates are mostly executives, some with there wives attending but many not.

I was starting to think and this almost made me go mad. She went to this place where obviously a lot of joking and maybe even flirting is going to happen. Many of these people she’s friends with on a social level. And people are people and dancing and so on and you see where I’m going?

Question is: Is this appropriate for her to go there alone or should I have made more effort to be with her?

Are you kidding me? You've been with your wife how long and are afraid to let her go to her conference? Something which is required for work? You must be kidding. Seriously, you are acting very paranoid. What does that say about your wife? Your asking us questions only you know. None of us know your wife. We don't know how she acts. However, your fear has me wondering what kind of women you're married to.

Why would you be afraid? You can't trust your wife for two days?

You have my mind thinking that whenever you and your wife are away from each other, your wife turns into this sexual firecracker. One who can't control herself, and is completely horny every second of the day. Any guy with any amount of charm will have her little motor pumping in no time..Whoa! I hope your wife is tame enough...

Kidding. But you are being very jealous. That's all this really is. But why? your not painting a very good picture of your wife..You make her out to seem very out of control, not trustworthy and morally inept....

Geesh guy, she's been with you all this time. After 33 years you should know her better than any of us would. After 33 years, you should have more trust in her.

The question should be, why can't you handle two days without your wife?

It's great that your still in love with her like that, but come on guy. If she hasn't earned your trust by now, she never will.

You are going to push her away acting like this. I wouldn't mention this to your wife, that you don't trust her. she might not like that after devoting 33 years to you..

Good luck with that one..

Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Even so...I think there's a lot of rush to judgement here. He simply asked a question. The worst I can see he did was contact one of her colleagues. That isn't cool...but not worth condemning him over. Yet.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Are you kidding me? You've been with your wife how long and are afraid to let her go to her conference? Something which is required for work? You must be kidding. Seriously, you are acting very paranoid. What does that say about your wife? Your asking us questions only you know. None of us know your wife. We don't know how she acts. However, your fear has me wondering what kind of women your married to.

Why would you be afraid. You can't trust your wife for two days?

You have my mind thinking that whenever you and your wife are away from each other, your wife turns into this sexual firecracker. One who can't control herself, and is completely horny every second of the day. Any guy with any amount of charm will have her little motor pumping in no time..Whoa! I hope your wife is tame enough...

Kidding. But you are being very jealous. That's all this really is. But why? your not painting a very good picture of your wife..You make her out to seem very out of control, not trustworthy and morally inept....

Geesh guy, she's been with you all this time. After 33 years you should know her better than any of us would. After 33 years, you should have more trust in her.

The question should be, why can't you handle two days without your wife?

It's great that your still in love with her like that, but come on guy. If she hasn't earned your trust by now, she never will.

You are going to push her away acting like this. I wouldn't mention this to your wife, that you don't trust her. she might not like that after devoting 33 years to you..

Good luck with that one..

Yeah, and it's well worth mentioning that needy, insecure people are VERY unattractive to their partners.

Word to the wise OP

Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,170,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, about 47 years ago my Mom told my Dad..."you better get some cheaper booze or some cheaper broads"! That was the end of that for Dad.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Even so...I think there's a lot of rush to judgement here. He simply asked a question. The worst I can see he did was contact one of her colleagues. That isn't cool...but not worth condemning him over. Yet.
He's already admitted he acted badly, like a jealous teenager

And he didn't just "ask a question". He went much further than that...

Did you see his post where he said, " I phoned her at 11 am – no answer. Text her. Phone again at hourly intervals the phone is on but she doesn’t answer. Jealous I go in overdrive. Is she mad at me or was she in an accident? I then phoned one of her colleague/friends.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
Well, about 47 years ago my Mom told my Dad..."you better get some cheaper booze or some cheaper broads"! That was the end of that for Dad.
What does this have to do with corporate jobs and your lack of understanding about what some of them involve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships