Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:27 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,324 times

Advertisements

No, I don't have self-esteem problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
No, I don't have self-esteem problems.

What you really mean is no, you don't have a problem with it because the status quo says you shouldn't. If you did, then you'd have to attach all sorts of negative meanings to it such as 'having low self esteem.'

Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
What you really mean is no, you don't have a problem with it because the status quo says you shouldn't. If you did, then you'd have to attach all sorts of negative meanings to it such as 'having low self esteem.'
I don't see how worrying whether or not your partner's previous lovers are better than you in bed isn't about low self-esteem. A secure person doesn't sweat over that sort of thing.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byfuglien View Post
Like think/want to know each detail about them and whether they still have any feelings for fantasies about those experiences?

I do.
Why not focus your energy on creating new experiences with your partner?

[overwrite old data]

Old 04-16-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I don't see how worrying whether or not your partner's previous lovers are better than you in bed isn't about low self-esteem. A secure person doesn't sweat over that sort of thing.

According to a lot of these people in various threads: a "secure person" is OK with sleeping around and doesn't care about their partners past sex partners and a myriad of other things, LOL. So we all have different definitions of what a 'secure' person really is I guess.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,969 times
Quote:
According to a lot of these people in various threads: a "secure person" is OK with sleeping around and doesn't care about their partners past sex partners and a myriad of other things, LOL. So we all have different definitions of what a 'secure' person really is I guess.
A secure person doesn't care if their partner has had 100 partners in the past or 0, as long as they are happy and healthy together right now.

Surely you can't think a secure person is tossing and turning at night worrying about what their partner is dreaming about?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Agreed.

[one man's security could be another woman's prison]

Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
A secure person doesn't care if their partner has had 100 partners in the past or 0, as long as they are happy and healthy together right now.

Surely you can't think a secure person is tossing and turning at night worrying about what their partner is dreaming about?

I don't think it has a thing to do with security and more to do with preference. I think it's common sense to assume the man is comparing the woman to other women he's been with sexually. Alright to the extent of losing sleeping over it, might be extreme. But still it's about personal preference to me. If a person is just as happy with a partner that had 2 partners as they would be 1200, to each his own, can't say it enough. But throwing all of these other things on top of it (Oh it relates to self esteem, oh it relates to your views on sex overall, etc) for people that don't agree with it, again, is what I have a problem with.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
A secure person is not worried about whether a former partner was better at one thing or another because - they aren't together now. There is obviously a reason so why stress over it? I'd rather enjoy the time we have together rather than making us both unhappy with my stressing over the past. That bell is rung and there's no undoing it. But what happened before has made my partner into the person he is now - and so I thank the previous partners for their contributions - seriously. My husband learned so much from his failed marriages.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
A secure person is not worried about whether a former partner was better at one thing or another because - they aren't together now. There is obviously a reason so why stress over it? I'd rather enjoy the time we have together rather than making us both unhappy with my stressing over the past. That bell is rung and there's no undoing it. But what happened before has made my partner into the person he is now - and so I thank the previous partners for their contributions - seriously. My husband learned so much from his failed marriages.
I wish I could take that and use it as a siggy to demonstrate what misguided optimism does to a person, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships