Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times

Advertisements

You're not buying a used car. You're living with a person, a fallible person who has made his or her share of mistakes along the way. Everybody has a past, and you're not so perfect yourself.

Before we got engaged, MrsCPG and I went through the ritual of running through past sexual partners. She had markedly fewer than I did. We swore that would be the only time we talked about it, and we've kept our word to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 11:53 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
What you really mean is no, you don't have a problem with it because the status quo says you shouldn't. If you did, then you'd have to attach all sorts of negative meanings to it such as 'having low self esteem.'
I can't think of any reason to be upset about something someone did when they didn't know you. Imagine this scenario without sex: "You went to Rome when you were in high school? But I haven't been anywhere.....How am I supposed to deal with this?"

Old 04-17-2012, 12:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
When you fall in love with someone, you accept the fact that every experience they ever had before you entered their lives, negative and positive, shaped them into the person you now love, and you let any jealousy go.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:07 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
yes everyone makes mistakes that's true. But in my world all mistakes are not equal. There's little mistakes and then there's 'WTF mistakes' -- don't you agree? I guess the main factor is which category someone would place different mistakes. I don't know anything about your husband or how many times he's been married; I said it was misguided optimism b/c to me a person with 3, 4, 5, failed marriages is a 'WTF mistake' not a learning experience. But that is me and maybe that is not how you would view such a thing.
For me, no I don't agree. And that's the problem with being judge, jury and executioner about someone's past, when you didn't know them. If you're scoring people's pasts with "levels" of mistake, it's probably best not to date them because they'll likely not live up to your standards, nor should they have to.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byfuglien View Post
Like think/want to know each detail about them and whether they still have any feelings for fantasies about those experiences?

I do.
Nope, I'm glad that they taught him everything he knows!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
The key word here is past.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
For me, no I don't agree. And that's the problem with being judge, jury and executioner about someone's past, when you didn't know them. If you're scoring people's pasts with "levels" of mistake, it's probably best not to date them because they'll likely not live up to your standards, nor should they have to.

Hey, I didn't say anything about judge, jury and executioner. Which is why I said what is a big mistake to one person may not be to another. There's a big difference in my book between ridiculing someone for their past -- and choosing not to date them. By your reasoning I should accept "anything" because it was in the past. If that works for you then that's your buisness. Yes, I have standards and no 'anything' does not fly with me. I would come to the determination whether it was a man I wanted to deal with or not, based on how I feel about the situation -- the same way men judge women (and on much more nonsensical issues, if you ask me). I expect a person who has had all kinds of crazy dealings in the past to say 'you have too high standards.' What else is new.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,269,755 times
How's that song go, If you want my future, you have to forgt my past.

I live in he moment when it comes to the subject of partners, as Ln as h I with me and no one else, I could careless abou who she's slept with in the past.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Nope, I'm glad that they taught him everything he knows!
That is my take on it. My first incredible sex was with my girlfriend at 19. It wasn't the first time that was great it was 4 or 5 times down the road when we both started feeling more comfortable with each other. I asked her where did she learn how to rock my world like she did. She said she learned everything from her previous 28 year old boyfriend. She asked me if I felt bad about her telling me. I replied "No, and if I met him I wanted to thank him".

This Puritan view that someone is soiled because of having sex with someone else is ridiculus. I won't waste my time with guilt over sex.

I'm typically inquisative and sex is no different. if you want to tell me, I'm not going to hold it against you and if theres something I can learn thats going to rock her world I want to know!

Last edited by LS Jaun; 04-17-2012 at 06:07 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM

58 posts, read 127,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
When you fall in love with someone, you accept the fact that every experience they ever had before you entered their lives, negative and positive, shaped them into the person you now love, and you let any jealousy go.
That's a good way of putting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships