Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 02:47 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The same statistics say that the presence of a mother-figure is more important.
does it matter if one is supposedly 'more important' than the other? The point is, optimally it is important to have both parents around. It doesn't mean you are screwed if you do not however.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:52 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
does it matter if one is supposedly 'more important' than the other? The point is, optimally it is important to have both parents around. It doesn't mean you are screwed if you do not however.
Here's something really scary, a 2-parent family can have same sex parents and they seem to fare extremely well.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:02 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
A lot of men here are accused of hating women: agree or disagree?

I agree, a lot of men here are accused of hating women because they DO hate women. It shows in their posts, in their snivelly comments and their snarky replies when they're called out on their behaviour.

If it quacks like a duck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Without naming names...I and some other guys have been accused of hating women, or having something against women, creating threads to put them down.etc. I understand some people are a bit sensitive, but it seems that if you even make a comment that is not entirely flattering of the female sex as a whole - it could be anything, even if you take a 'feminist' viewpoint - there'll always be a few very vocal ones who shout you down, question your motives, accuse you of being bitter.

This is a totally unbiased question...I want to know if in your opinion you think that misogyny is really rife here...Or misandry, for that matter.

Sure I've seen some men who say things like women should pay for all dates, and of course there are those who say they don't like women over 25 or whatever...if you've noticed I generally don't hold those views. Of course that means nothing.

The thread I started recently - perhaps it wasn't necessary, in hindsight, to post on a forum. I still don't think I did what others accused me of, but since it could so easily get misconstrued and misunderstood, maybe I shouldn't have posted it.

Anyway...I do think some men here are a little bitter about the way things are - and so are women - and at the risk of sounding like a broken record I think on CD at least men are just 'called out' for it way more, because historically men were the main propogators of sexism. At least that's what I and others were taught. So like being a white person, men have a lot of guilt to deal with. Of course few will actually acknowledge this.

Some women here see sexism in everything, so if I question anything about women I can expect to be attacked in the same old manner. Some are fairly decent people, it's just maybe there's too much of the 'battle of the sexes' here. I honestly think just reading topics on here is responsible for making me more gender conscious than I ever was. Because like others have observed, I need to get off the computer and stop posting so much.

So from now on I will post fewer topics - but if I think something is worth posting I will post it, regardless of if it offends or if it's not 'PC.' My intentions are to make people think, but sometimes, I suppose my own opinions and stuff get mixed in there sometimes.

It would be good to get an honest, civil debate without this turning into yet another bun-fight. Hopefully everyone can come up with a discourse, and get to the bottom of what they really believe, whether they really are woman/man-haters or not. I am just a bit tired of people throwing around these labels here.

PS: I can see how this thread might be seen as gender bashing. If the mods let this thread pass please don't start attacking either gender. Try to be objective or thoughtful.

What it all boils down to is that men are not allowed to criticize women because it has become taboo in Western society to do so.

Simply any type of correction, or criticism in a woman direction they will interpret that as you hate women being that in the real world women are usually let off the hook, given a lighter load, given free passes, or allowed to get away with misdeeds due to simply being a female.

Also, in seeking to avoid accountability (when you're calling them out on BS), some women will call you a "woman hater" in order to get you to keep quiet.

As far as the men who really hate women? I know they're out there, but I have never even met one man who hated women real life. I say the closest I have seen is some of the gay guys who openly envy that they are not women.

Anyhow, I have met guys who dated/married women who GAVE them reasons to hate women, but they told me to my face that they love women unconditionally despite it all. Tell you what though, growing up around my moms friends, all I heard was how they hated men, or how they did not need a man with such vile bitterness.

Last edited by calicali01; 05-10-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-10-2012, 03:14 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
What it all boils down to is that men are not allowed to criticize women because it has become taboo in Western society to do so.

Simply any type of correction, or criticism in a woman direction they will interpret that as you hate women being that in the real world women are usually let off the hook, given a lighter load, given free passes, or allowed to get away with misdeeds due to simply being a female.

Also, in seeking to avoid accountability (when you're calling them out on BS), some women will call you a "woman hater" in order to get you to keep quiet.

As far as the men who really hate women? I know they're out there, but I have never even met one man who hated women real life. I say the closest I have seen is some of gay guys who openly envy that they are not women.

Anyhow, I have met guys who dated/married women who GAVE them reasons to hate women, but they told me to my face that they love women unconditionally despite it all. Tell you what though, growing up around my moms friends, all I heard was how they hated men, or how they did not need a man with such vile bitterness.
That's because it's pretty much wrong to make a blanket statement about any group unless you're talking about Nazis or the Mongol Horde. Only knuckle-dragging simpletons or the socially retarded do that, chiefly because they can't grasp the basic concept that all people are individuals, with highly individual behavior.

I mean, dude, don't you bristle when some airhead posts a thread that begins with, "Why do all men...."? Admit it. You do. Because you resent like hell being lumped into a box with all the other men on the planet because of the behavior of a small minority. I gleefully go to town on women posters like that, because they are generally just too stupid to live. Our best hope is that they don't breed to perpetuate their genes.

Yet you seem to have no problem addressing similar shotgun critiques to anyone carrying a pair of ovaries. And then you can't understand why the posters on here respond in kind.

Last edited by cpg35223; 05-10-2012 at 03:36 PM..

Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
What I see in here with regard to the woman-haters (alleged) is a lot of guys who are generally unfulfilled where interaction with the opposite sex is concerned.
I posted about it before that if a man does not play along with the current dating game, and if he does not cold approach women on his own, he will essentially be FORCED to be alone.

On the other hand, a female, even if she does not even want to date will constantly be approached by the opposed sex so a woman never has to be alone unless she chooses to be alone.

I see this every day in action such as in the office, all the hot secretaries (even if they are MARRIED) constantly have men from various ages talking to them and just being up under them giving them all kids of attention. On the other hand, all the quiet shy guys are perpetually alone and none of the hot women pay them any mind unless they need something.

I'm not saying it is a women's jobs to approach men, but at least in other cultures (say in China) the elders take more of an initiative to introduce their children to other peoples children to see that they date and possibly marry off; many people just need that kind of help.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:29 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
I see this every day in action such as in the office, all the hot secretaries (even if they are MARRIED) constantly have men from various ages talking to them and just being up under them giving them all kids of attention. On the other hand, all the quiet shy guys are perpetually alone and none of the hot women pay them any mind.
Are the quiet, shy women in your office constantly getting approached, or are they perpetually alone as well? There are plenty of women out there who aren't getting constant attention, but you're not noticing them because they're not hot. Attractive people attract others (duh,) mousy people don't. Gender doesn't matter.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That's because it's pretty much wrong to criticize any group as a group unless you're talking about Nazis
I don't believe that the Nazis were entirety wrong for their thinking and will leave it that that. The Germans were VERY smart, and during that time they felt as though they were threatened and had to take action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I mean, dude, don't you bristle when some airhead posts a thread that begins with, "Why do all men...."? Admit it. You do.
But I don't automatically assume that the person is a feminist, then go into ad hominem attacks.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Quote:
I don't believe that the Nazis were entirety wrong for their thinking and will leave it that that. The Germans were VERY smart, and during that time they felt as though they were threatened and had to take action.

But I don't automatically assume that the person is a feminist, then go into ad hominem attacks.
Well, I'm half Jewish so I take you aren't in love with me anymore.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:46 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,020 times
Quote:

s.
Finally something stupider than the "I am a unicorn" comment.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Are the quiet, shy women in your office constantly getting approached, or are they perpetually alone as well? There are plenty of women out there who aren't getting constant attention, but you're not noticing them because they're not hot. Attractive people attract others (duh,) mousy people don't. Gender doesn't matter.
Edit:

Yes, the quiet girls are being approached and most of them are DATING unless they don't want to.

And yes, gender DOES matter. Just being a woman in and of itself relives you of the responsibly of having to approach a man. It's simply not a woman's job to approach a man and "win him over."

I also have had women complain to me that as soon as they post online ads for dating they get flooded with 100's of messages from men willing to take them out and so forth.

On the other hand, I know men who have sent a good amount of messages to women online but receive little or no reply's in return.

As a matter of fact, go make up a fake male profile online and just see how hard it is to get a woman to talk to you. One woman did this and had her results posted on her blog, she said she had no idea how hard it was for a man to engage in conversation with a woman.

Last edited by calicali01; 05-10-2012 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships