Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times

Advertisements

Smart women who can use their beauty to their advantage will, but looks will only get you so far. Intelligence and a takes no-**** attitude coupled with appearance is a winning combo. These things aren't black and white. It's an unexpected combo of looks and intelligence that men dont expect that will earn respect, if used the correct way, can be an invaluable weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:03 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Constantly playing up your sex appeal to get male attention while ignoring your other attributes is definitely one way in which you encourage men to see you as an object not a person.
Absolutely, but without that sex appeal most guys won't give you a chance to actually see your personality.

Quote:
Please don't. Pleasing those kinds of people is just not worth it.
I know, but it's hard not to think that way.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
At least social standing is something you can control. Yeah, I can lose weight, tone up, spend hours on my beauty regime and get surgery to make myself prettier... But why should I have to do that? It certainly isn't going to make me a better mechanic.

I've mentioned it before, but I had a male friend tell me that I shouldn't have spent the money getting my aerospace engineering degree and instead should have invested in a gym membership and some plastic surgery. I'm starting to think he was right.
I have (or have had) friends like that too. Mostly guy friends who put me down. Why the h@ll would a guy feel the need to put down another guy is beyond me.

Anyway, I've started reducing such people to minor acquaintances over the years when their character shows itself.

In my older age, I'm picking character over such things as common interests and fun.

I'm old, so I'm no fun anymore anyway.

It's a big world and there's lots of good people out there.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Smart women who can use their beauty to their advantage will, but looks will only get you so far. Intelligence and a takes no-**** attitude coupled with appearance is a winning combo.
Actually these are the types i'm most likely to "objectify," because I see little value in a woman with attitude.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Absolutely, but without that sex appeal most guys won't give you a chance to actually see your personality.

I know, but it's hard not to think that way.
Think of it the other way...it just weeds out the people you don't want to be wasting your time with. People who aren't that shallow will judge you on personality more (not saying that they will totally overlook looks). At least I prefer to think that way...

Old 05-11-2012, 08:08 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Actually these are the types i'm most likely to "objectify," because I see little value in a woman with attitude.
So you prefer a women who is complacent?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
So the women with fake everything, with vacuous personalities, whose mainly interests including getting facials, their hair done, nails done, reading celeb mags...etc, gossiping. They want to be seen for their intelligence? With screen names like hot/chick/babe/doll...

LOL...I said an operating brain. Not programmed types.

Quote:
This just seems silly, though. If I spot a woman a block away from me that I've never seen before, why would she be upset that I don't value her personality? I don't even know her.
Better not cat call then or you just might get to know her.

I guess I should say openly objectified. Some creepy dude staring from a block away is kinda ehhhh...

The guys that stare at chests...ehhhh

etc etc etc

Basically openly objectifying behavior or language is offensive.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
^ Don't agree staring at chests ALONE is objectifying. Even the 'deepest' guys do it from time to time. Well not so much staring...just looking. I never STARE, brief glances, sure. But not to perve, just a bit of a check out, it's not conscious half the time. As I'm sure gals who value fellow for way more than looks check other guy's bodies out. We're not PURELY mental people. The only men who NEVER check out women that way, are good married men, asexual or sexually repressed.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Guys with wandering eyes...yeh..they don't have much luck with chicks with "attitude". Keep on keeping on.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
^ Don't agree staring at chests ALONE is objectifying. Even the 'deepest' guys do it from time to time. Well not so much staring...just looking. I never STARE, brief glances, sure. But not to perve, just a bit of a check out, it's not conscious half the time. As I'm sure gals who value fellow for way more than looks check other guy's bodies out. We're not PURELY mental people. The only men who NEVER check out women that way, are good married men, asexual or sexually repressed.

Alright well then let me stare at your bank statement and your crotch while I talk to you but totally avoid your face. See how you like it.

I can just glance at it too. Measuring you up to see if you do it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships