Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I won't date a girl who has never had a healthy relationship with her father or a father figure, or who doesn't respect her parents.
Hardly fair to the poor girl who was dealt a bad hand by the Universe and ended up with a lousy father.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:19 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Hardly fair to the poor girl who was dealt a bad hand by the Universe and ended up with a lousy father.

that's exactly what I was thinking, instead of blaming the man who put her in that situation to begin with, they blame the girl.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:25 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Wish after all this time I could give some advice on what turns me off when dating- the fact is - I never dated..Just met- made love and moved in...Okay I did take my wife to dinner on some boat in the harbor - once- and prior to that I took the prior wife out to dinner for her birthday.......but that was it- Imagine- Three live in woman- one wife- 72 affairs...and only two dates- I guess I was just plain cheap....

Old 06-21-2012, 12:34 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,201,463 times
I will assume 2 things

1. Its not some sort of "blind date" so shes already met "physical" requirements
2. Its hasnt become a long term thing

So

1. Smoking- cant stand it, wouldnt tolerate it
2. Negative Comments about my appearence or manneurisms, or outright opposition to these things.
3. Negative Comments about my car or living space, or what is contained within, or opposition to such things
4. Body odor
5. Preoccupation with money, material possessions or my job
6. Preoccupation with her job
7. Wearing of expensive or designer clothing, shoes or jewelry
8. Talking down to waitstaff, store clerks, ticket takers, etc.
9. Bodily gas emissions
10. Opposition to staying at home much of the time, or planning things way in advance
11. Opposition to a grown man enjoying video games and cartoons, or possessing/displaying toys
12. If she has no interest in my interests, be able to entertain herself occassionally.

Bottom line

Clean, not superficial, doesnt want to change me.

Really that simple.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:35 PM

202 posts, read 479,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Daddy issues.

I won't date a girl who has never had a healthy relationship with her father or a father figure
That's unfair for the girl, we don't chose our family!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeitup View Post
That's unfair for the girl, we don't chose our family!
People don't choose what they look like, how tall/short, ugly/pretty, eye color, skin color, intelligence, abilities, and personality to a large extent. Is it unfair to not want to date someone based on those criteria as well?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
People don't choose what they look like, how tall/short, ugly/pretty, eye color, skin color, intelligence, abilities, and personality to a large extent. Is it unfair to not want to date someone based on those criteria as well?

Two different scenarios that don't need to be compared....if you don't want someone tall/short, ugly/pretty, etc. that's because you can LOOK at that person and tell right away it's something you don't want... He has no idea to what extent her not having a father or 'father figure' has affected her. He is only assuming it's impacted her so negatively that she couldn't possibly qualify to be with him. Ultimately, he can choose to date those women or not, but you know what I'm saying.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:10 PM

120 posts, read 211,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Is it unfair to not want to date someone based on those criteria as well?
I think that in some sense it is unfair yes but many other things that people do to each other are unfair.

But then again, who says that life is supposed to be fair anyway? Life does not entitle anyone to fairness and my experience tells me that life and the struggle to survive in this hostile world can be quite unfair.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:30 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I think that in some sense it is unfair yes but many other things that people do to each other are unfair.

But then again, who says that life is supposed to be fair anyway? Life does not entitle anyone to fairness and my experience tells me that life and the struggle to survive in this hostile world can be quite unfair.
Exactly. Some people are dealt a bad hand, part of what makes that hand bad is the consequences it causes, like having traits that the other sex finds undesirable. Not having a good dad sucks, that is unlucky, and even more so it can impact you further down the line in life and relationships. Just a bad deal all around. But if someone doesn't want to date a person with a lot of issues then that is their decision, and makes plenty of sense.

Doll eyes, that is a good point, but a lot of people make judgements that way. A guy doesn't have a good relationship with his mother? No good. Is divorced? No good. No friends? out. People judge immediately based on any information gleaned, whether it is from their appearance or something they learn about the person. Every new thing you learn changes your opinion, from where they grew up, what their job is, what they do for fun, etc. All helps make your opinion of the person, even if the things you learn haven't affected the person the way you think it would. You just go off what your opinion of these things are, even if they are not true in this case. If the guy has had bad experiences with girls who didn't have dads who seemed to have daddy issues, then what is wrong with him making that sort of rule for himself to avoid future headache and heartache?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:20 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,085,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
You're right, it's not fair, but it's not my fault. I don't blame the poor girls who missed out on a father figure. But the psychological trauma that seems to go with that is not something I am equiped to deal with. I'm sure there are men out there who can handle it, but it has been my painful experience that I can't. So there it is. I'm not going to be with someone just out of sympathy.

If you're a girl and had a bad experience with a guy (or two) who had mommy issues, it would be on the top of your list of red flags, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships