Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:38 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,927,816 times

Advertisements

Relationships are nothing but stress and most will end at some point. I shy aware from relationships for the simple fact that I know that cheating is rampant and that only a very small percentage of relationships are unconditional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:58 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,887,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Hey society makes a big deal outta love. Aint I allowed to make a big deal outta not wanting love?

EVERYONE wants love, and you know you do too.

Sadly, not everyone is willing to live their lives fully and fear free long enough to reach for it.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,754,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
EVERYONE wants love, and you know you do too.

Sadly, not everyone is willing to live their lives fully and fear free long enough to reach for it.

Um, you cannot decide that for everyone based on your own wants.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:47 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,315,807 times
You just have to chalk up things like this as a learning experience, it's apart of life. You can't let fear dictate your current/future decisions. His ex is banging someone else, I know in his current state it probably hurts a lot but the best he can do right now is cut her off and live his life. Yeah there's tons of kitty out there but that's not the best route for him to go right now, it's best he has his support system help him get on his feet. I was in those same exact shoes about eight years ago or so, except the dude my ex cheated with had pulled out a glock on me (long story). You'll always go through things like this in life, if it's not your ex the next thing might be your job, family deaths etc.

Its all about how you respond and handle the situation, you can let it break you or you can look at it as a learning experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I'm 32 years old, not 14. And just because you haven't ever seen it, doesn't mean I haven't either.
I'm guessing it has to do with your emotional maturity, the last time I saw this I was 15 years old.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
You just have to chalk up things like this as a learning experience, it's apart of life. You can't let fear dictate your current/future decisions. His ex is banging someone else, I know in his current state it probably hurts a lot but the best he can do right now is cut her off and live his life. Yeah there's tons of kitty out there but that's not the best route for him to go right now, it's best he has his support system help him get on his feet. I was in those same exact shoes about eight years ago or so, except the dude my ex cheated with had pulled out a glock on me (long story). You'll always go through things like this in life, if it's not your ex the next thing might be your job, family deaths etc.

Its all about how you respond and handle the situation, you can let it break you or you can look at it as a learning experience.

I'm guessing it has to do with your emotional maturity, the last time I saw this I was 15 years old.

I guess it has to do with your emotional maturity -- because I'm not the only one in the thread who has witnessed this at an adult level. Go figure.

And again, just because you last saw it at 15 doesn't mean squat to me and my experiences.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:59 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,806,971 times
I too am very jaded. My ex-wife left me when I was unemployed and depressed. In other words, times got tough and she bailed. Thats not what marriage is supposed to be about. It took me 3 years to start to feel normal again, but my career held me back from dating. Then in January, I met a woman who I thought was amazing. It was almost love at first sight. We dated for 3 intense months, during which I tried to be everything I wasn't in my marriage (mainly expressive and putting her first). It didn't matter. She dumped me for no reason at the end of April, 4 days after I had taken care of her for a weekend when she had some minor surgery. That has just about made me decide to give up. I'm still hurt even though it was a short relationship because I gave so much and felt like I had made so much progress in how I related to and how well I treated women. I always was polite and thoughtful, but never expressive, and I learned how to do that after my divorce. In the end, it makes no difference and I'm cynical now.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,190,315 times
^ Sorry to hear that Atlguy. Some people just always think of themselves first. Relationships are a selfish business, really, really just two people hanging out and mutually masturbating, getting a kick out of the emotional high of shallow romance.

'Love' is nothing more than the chemical high you feel at climax.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I too am very jaded. My ex-wife left me when I was unemployed and depressed. In other words, times got tough and she bailed. Thats not what marriage is supposed to be about. It took me 3 years to start to feel normal again, but my career held me back from dating. Then in January, I met a woman who I thought was amazing. It was almost love at first sight. We dated for 3 intense months, during which I tried to be everything I wasn't in my marriage (mainly expressive and putting her first). It didn't matter. She dumped me for no reason at the end of April, 4 days after I had taken care of her for a weekend when she had some minor surgery. That has just about made me decide to give up. I'm still hurt even though it was a short relationship because I gave so much and felt like I had made so much progress in how I related to and how well I treated women. I always was polite and thoughtful, but never expressive, and I learned how to do that after my divorce. In the end, it makes no difference and I'm cynical now.

Just like they constantly tell the women on here: you picked the 'wrong' men.

you picked the 'wrong' women.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,142,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
What my roommate is going through.

Basically, he was engaged to be married to a girl he had been with for 8 years. A few weeks ago he calls it off due to some distress he is having. The breakup was and still is ugly. His ex-fiancé is dating another guy. He is distraught because they were together for 8 years and not even two months later she is totally into someone else, which I don't blame the guy for how he is feeling. This week in particular he is real down about the situation. It is really affecting him. He has been barely able to leave his room. He nearly lost his internship on Capitol Hill ( which requires real hard work having magic horseshoes up your to get) due to this matter because the pain of the breakup is affecting him so much.

If this is potentially what happens when you put your heart into another person, I'm not sure I even want to go there with this love thing.

Marriage is so overrated along with relationships and the next person who askes me why I;m single will get chased down the street with a stick because I will be trying to take their head off

Old 07-22-2012, 10:58 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,221,922 times
The OP's roommate shouldn't have broken up with his girlfriend. I can't blame her for trying to get over it.

If he's bothered that much by her dating another guy, he should cut off contact. He did this to himself, he needs to take the proper steps to right himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships