Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:36 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,113,000 times

Advertisements

I think I look young for my age, but I've never had this problem. Where are you meeting guys at? Looking young is a blessing! I remember one time I was probably 16 or so and we were on a family vacation in FL and stopped for dinner. The hostress gave me a kid menu and I was horrified!! I was freaking 16 and she thought I was a kid! Now I'm 28 and I'm thankful everyday I look younger than I am! Seriously, just be happy about this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I think I look young for my age, but I've never had this problem. Where are you meeting guys at? Looking young is a blessing! I remember one time I was probably 16 or so and we were on a family vacation in FL and stopped for dinner. The hostress gave me a kid menu and I was horrified!! I was freaking 16 and she thought I was a kid! Now I'm 28 and I'm thankful everyday I look younger than I am! Seriously, just be happy about this!
I have basically barely aged since I turned 18!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Wow, a woman who is worried she doesn't look old enough?

Well, maybe your not meeting men in the right place. Are there any places you can go, hang out, or participate at that attract a little older crowd? Or maybe try online dating where you can filter by age right away?
I end up meeting people all over the place, bars, networking events, meetups, coffee shops.... I am pretty friendly, so I meet someone new everywhere I go! Without fail, people I meet are always under 30 and shocked I am over 30. Once in a blue moon I meet someone older..... I just seem to attract the 25-28 year olds (male and female) for friends and dates.

Not really sure if I like online dating. My type doesn't seem to be there in any great numbers or aren't interested in my type. I do way better in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Otherwise...ask if they have an older brother
Ooh good one! I should definitely try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Why rant about something that's a positive? When you're 50, you'll probably look 35-40.
I know! my 69 year old aunt looks around late 40s early 50s. My mom looks 40-something and she's 64. It is a bit annoying at this life stage. Those 25 year olds aren't quite in the same life stage I am in. It was fine when I was younger.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM

44 posts, read 210,898 times
OP, I believe you also mentioned that you are African American. Most black women tend to age gracefully and not look their age when they reach their 30's or 40's. I even think Michelle looks great for a woman in her late 40's. I remember as a young college grad in Atlanta, I contacted an assembling company to fix my desk. A woman showed up who I thought was no younger than 22. I asked her questions like if she has been doing this since high school and a number of other things young girls might like. Than I asked her out, and she said "you know I am 37 and I have a kid". I thought she was playing, but she was pretty adamant telling me which year she graduated from high school and some popular music groups during her high school days like New Edition. I felt like a fool but she told me it happens all the time.

OP, if you don't like getting hit on by younger men I would just be firm and tell them directly. Most men are intimidated by older woman, so just telling them your age will be enough. If I were you, I would take advantage of this gift. Compared to other ethnic groups black women tend to age more gracefully.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:31 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
OP, I believe you also mentioned that you are African American. Most black women tend to age gracefully and not look their age when they reach their 30's or 40's. I even think Michelle looks great for a woman in her late 40's.
This is true....but even the black people think I am 25. And the Asian people.

Quote:
OP, if you don't like getting hit on by younger men I would just be firm and tell them directly. Most men are intimidated by older woman, so just telling them your age will be enough. If I were you, I would take advantage of this gift. Compared to other ethnic groups black women tend to age more gracefully.
It is a thin line between young and too young!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:57 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,469,682 times
I had a male co-worker, my b-day was coming up, he asked my age, I think he threw up in his mouth, he assumed I was near his age which was about 20, I was around 37 at the time. I think if we had a PA system, he would have broad casted my age over it, instead, he grabbed every other staff member and told them as they walked by. It was quite embarrassing the spectacle he made of himself. I think these days, at times, I look closer to my age, but mostly still people in their 30's and early 40's assume I'm the same age as them unless I say different.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
I get everywhere from 20 to 40. Sometimes I dress like a 15 year old boy and look like a poor college student, and sometimes I dress more like Joan Holloway from Mad Men and look a little older. It all depends on my mood that particular day

Old 09-07-2012, 12:13 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,948 times
I'm 26 and still get carded for rated R movies. I get hit on at the gym by creepy old men or sometimes high school senior guys or Freshman in college. It's annoying. I tend to try to surround myself on a regular basis with co-workers my age and my grad school fellow students (all 23 or older-most of them working professionals in their late 20's or 30's). Try to go out with an older crowd or places an older crowd would go. The concerts, poetry readings, coffee shops, museums etc tend to have people more my age and more similar tastes.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,843,555 times
I frequent bars where the median age is 26-30. I am only 24, so I am usually taking shots in the dark at women who are much older than I. I get turned down frequently.

Give us young guys a chance! Decent job, good looks, stable mindset, faithful... those are qualities you should be looking for. Not age.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 PM

102,221 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Jade, we've had a couple of women on the forum complaining about this. They get mistaken for teenagers or college students, so they can't get the attention of men their age. Been there, done that, still dealing with that. It can be a liability professionally, too, when people condescend to you or don't take you seriously, because they think you're a rube. Online forums can actually be a good way to meet people. Participants get to know you for your personality first and foremost (don't pick relationships forums, though--lol! Pick forums relating to your interests, hobbies, religion (if any), etc.). Also, participating in meet-ups or other leisure activity groups where people can get to know you over time can help. You said you feel online dating isn't an option, so that's out, I guess. This isn't an easy issue to deal with. Some women have said that over time, they did meet a younger guy who was mature enough that he didn't mind the age difference, and that they could regard him as potential LTR material.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 PM

102,221 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Give us young guys a chance! Decent job, good looks, stable mindset, faithful... those are qualities you should be looking for. Not age.
I learned this over time. Still, most younger guys lose interest once they find out the woman they take a shine to is significantly older than they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships