Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:34 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times

Advertisements

OP, not to sound callous but I doubt the kid will remember you down the road since he's only 4 and it's only been 6 months. Kids don't remember much from that age. Your boyfriend may be sad though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 04:41 PM

17 posts, read 17,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post

Was he sweet because he really liked you, or was he being sweet because he was looking for another mom for his child? You figure, you're saving him a lot of money if he works 15 hour days opposed to having to put his kid in daycare.

I'd like to think because he really liked me. But, it may have been just to reel me in. He was in daycare while I was working and it was my idea to quit my job and take him out. And he was okay with it. But he is always telling me he appreciates everything I do and that I am so good with him and tells me that I don't have to do everything because he is HIS responsibility. And I tell him no I want to do it because I enjoy it. And I do enjoy it. But when he says things like that it makes me feel that he is not using me but it could be to throw me off. But anytime I have just needed to take a break, he has always took him to work with him or took care of what was needed at the time and didnt complain about it. Just a "okay sweetie" and a kiss on the forehead.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
OP, not to sound callous but I doubt the kid will remember you down the road since he's only 4 and it's only been 6 months. Kids don't remember much from that age. Your boyfriend may be sad though.

Yeah, everyone has been saying that. and I really hope he won't remember. It makes me feel better to know he won't hurt over it.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:53 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Breaking it off is the best thing. Everyone deserves to be loved, not just tolerated. The child will have a hard time, you're right about that. That is the reason many professionals warn against involving a girlfriend/boyfriend w/ your children, to avoid confusion for them. It can't be helped...You don't love his father, and they are a package deal. You could perhaps offer to stay in touch w/ this person and their child, to make the transition a bit easier. I would recommend that you take time off for at least a year before dating etc. This man was likely a rebound, and you've done a great disservice to him and his lil guy. That can't be helped now, but make it as easy as possible to transition...if you can provide some child care when he works and you aren't then that may help him....but make sure it is what you want. Take this time to figure yourself out, you are very young...a long relationship, then right into the one with this man....Stop...take time to figure out YOU!. This is a lesson learned. Keep us updated.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:59 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Leave. Stop wasting their time and, less importantly, your time. They don't need someone in their lives who isn't committed.

[once is enough]
If you'll read the previous posts, they are sharing Her parents home. The leaving will be the man and his child. Complicating things even more...

Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamiRenae View Post
Yeah, everyone has been saying that. and I really hope he won't remember. It makes me feel better to know he won't hurt over it.
He won't remember.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:02 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,679,521 times
I agree with what others are saying, and I also point out that you are ruining your life by staying with this man. He shacked up with you with his kid when he barely knows you, which means your relationship has no foundation. It isnt going to last and of course you know that. But what is even worse is that you arent working and you arent in school. You arent building a life for YOURSELF and he has no problem with that. I would have no problem with a gal becoming a housewife at such a young age, but you arent that. You are wasting valuable time that should be spent bettering yourself.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Breaking it off is the best thing. Everyone deserves to be loved, not just tolerated. The child will have a hard time, you're right about that. That is the reason many professionals warn against involving a girlfriend/boyfriend w/ your children, to avoid confusion for them. It can't be helped...You don't love his father, and they are a package deal. You could perhaps offer to stay in touch w/ this person and their child, to make the transition a bit easier. I would recommend that you take time off for at least a year before dating etc. This man was likely a rebound, and you've done a great disservice to him and his lil guy. That can't be helped now, but make it as easy as possible to transition...if you can provide some child care when he works and you aren't then that may help him....but make sure it is what you want. Take this time to figure yourself out, you are very young...a long relationship, then right into the one with this man....Stop...take time to figure out YOU!. This is a lesson learned. Keep us updated.

Well, obviously, I didn't enter the relationship only to break it off 8 months later. It was never my intentions. and I feel so much guilt for doing it. I don't plan on another relationship for awhile. They don't seem to do any good for me right now. Focusing on making myself happy, and my education for now.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
If you'll read the previous posts, they are sharing Her parents home. The leaving will be the man and his child. Complicating things even more...
The OP is the one who used the word 'leave'. But I'll rephrase it, anyhow.

EXIT the relationship.

[the sooner this relationship that is not an honest relationship is done and over with the better]

Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,109,304 times
Default I can leave him, but I can't leave his son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
19 years old is too young to be trapped into being a step-mom. I feel sorry for the kid but it's his fathers fault for allowing you to move in and become the substitute mommy. You're 19! Plenty of time to be tied down later on in life. You're bored because you're supposed to be exploring the direction you want your life to go and hanging out with your peers. 19 years old and spending 14-15 hours a day taking care of someone else's kid? Do you have parents? Friends? What do they think about this?

How old is this man? Sounds like he wanted a youngin' he could train up to be his child's 2nd mommy. Guess he didn't consider that you might want to have a life of your own.

I say get out now.
Don't be so quick to blame it all on the man. I realize she is a woman and only 19 years old, but that is no excuse for being stupid. Don't you think just maybe she had a say in moving in with this guy? Don't you think she knows even a little bit about human nature and was also looking for a roll in the hay? I agree some of the fault is the man's, he should have known he was getting involved with someone who was just lonely and looking for a place to land...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships