Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do couples match up evenly?
Women's physical attractiveness equal to man's physical attractiveness? 27 40.30%
Women's physical attractiveness on par with man's financial status? 40 59.70%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 01:36 AM

837 posts, read 753,900 times

Advertisements

so much utter nonsense in these threads

I'm more financially successful and established than 99.9% of men my age yet I'm in the bottom 1% of dating success. Absolutely nothing wrong with how I look or my social abilities either. I've never had a girlfriend in my life and probably never will

When will the nonsense end? Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-04-2016 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 08:35 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleygilbert View Post
so much utter nonsense in these threads

I'm more financially successful and established than 99.9% of men my age yet I'm in the bottom 1% of dating success. Absolutely nothing wrong with how I look or my social abilities either. I've never had a girlfriend in my life and probably never will

When will the nonsense end? [snip]
Not for nothing but maybe it's your attitude,they can sense that. You sound like my friend from FL,he works out and has a decent job but he's the victim of probably the area he lives in and also his frustrated attitude. I used to be like that a bit also.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-04-2016 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-09-2015, 08:03 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,057,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
I remember hearing of some study years ago that said people end up with someone who is roughly the same in looks. Not looks LIKE them, but same level of attractiveness. Roughly. Not that they intentionally do it, it just works out like that. The only things that tip the scales are money or power.
This makes sense. Most people will settle with the best looking person that will have them. Usually, that leads to similar levels of attractiveness.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 AM

57 posts, read 38,656 times
Neither. People are matched based on individual preferences and circumstance. Traditionally, men were chosen based on their ability to provide and usually matched with attractive women. Today, this is really no longer a reality for most.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:42 AM

854 posts, read 586,198 times
These things are subjective. And you never know what the attraction was between two people in the first place.

I used to be friends with this really pretty girl who started dating her (now-husband) when they were both 22 and both good-looking and fit. Over the years, he got wealthy (after finishing uni) and she didn't make a lot of money (kept going back to school to upgrade her education) but she stayed fit. He, on the other hand, stopped wrestling and gained about 70 pounds. So to look at them you might say that she was a gold-digger, or whatever. But actually, she'd been with him for 8 years since they were both broke and beautiful.

Anyway, he still has a cute face. He's just fat.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:46 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
I remember hearing of some study years ago that said people end up with someone who is roughly the same in looks. Not looks LIKE them, but same level of attractiveness. Roughly. Not that they intentionally do it, it just works out like that. The only things that tip the scales are money or power.
Yup I agree, to some extent. The majority of people are married to people that have the same level of attractiveness. However when it does vary(because there are plenty of mismatched physical people in relationships) it's based on one or two things where one person had certain qualities that compensated making them more of a catch--and in all qualities both people were yoked. It also dependent on if the person was actually attracted to people of similar attractiveness or if they had certain preferences that were weighted in other areas. Looks matter to me, I'm shallow asf, every man I've dated but one has been at the same level of attractiveness. They did not think so(they put me on a pedestal) but when I compared the amount of attention we each got it seemed like they were along the same level. I also have a specific time and tend to like men that are conventionally attractive(in terms of height, or face) but that are not the most attractive man in the room despite these perceived good qualities, so their egos while higher than others, is not too high that they are a-holes(though two of the men I dated were pretty darn close).

I have a friend that people thought was ugly, she married a man that most said was above average in looks. How? Well they were yoked in everything else, and despite his good looks he has always been unemployed and/or not financially stable which she's put up with, and she admits this due to low esteem. Other women of a similar attractiveness would not put up with a lot of his issues and he knows it. That's one example. In ever case like attracts like. What that like is, varies--it can be looks, and qualities, looks, morals, or combinations. Usually no one will be completely in sync-so one person may be more than the other when you scale certain things. in the case of looks, there are couples where one is not as attractive as the other. But generally a lot of people tend to gravitate toward those that are similar in attractiveness based on observation.

Last edited by Faith2187; 04-04-2016 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 11:06 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
This is pretty rotten and I have rarely, as in very, very, very rarely known women like this in my entire life.

I mean if you insist on going for Miss Spring Break I'm Soooooooooooo Popular in order to make your buddies jealous and up your flagging self-esteem, sure, that very tiny percentage of literally hollow, shallow plastic surgeried-out girls may be like this, yes. In which case...whose fault is that...

I know many, many women including literally beautiful women, empirically beautiful (I'm not one, LOL, but I know them) and I don't know ANYBODY who runs around giggling about how much money she's going to get out of a guy (the meme above is obviously the facetious equivalent of that). I am seriously beginning to wonder whether this whole idea is a myth or something or maybe it's just some invention to make rejected dudes feel better or something. Where are you guys FINDING these "Mean Girls"? Are you turning over rocks deliberately seeking the worst of the female species upon which to base your opinion of all of us?

How about just trying to attract a normal girl? LOL. Just a thought.

Oh well...I guess, you do you.

Moderator comment: The referenced meme has been deleted.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-04-2016 at 02:42 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 11:10 AM

57 posts, read 38,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This is pretty rotten and I have rarely, as in very, very, very rarely known women like this in my entire life.

I mean if you insist on going for Miss Spring Break I'm Soooooooooooo Popular in order to make your buddies jealous and up your flagging self-esteem, sure, that very tiny percentage of literally hollow, shallow plastic surgeried-out girls may be like this, yes. In which case...whose fault is that...

I know many, many women including literally beautiful women, empirically beautiful (I'm not one, LOL, but I know them) and I don't know ANYBODY who runs around giggling about how much money she's going to get out of a guy (the meme above is obviously the facetious equivalent of that). I am seriously beginning to wonder whether this whole idea is a myth or something or maybe it's just some invention to make rejected dudes feel better or something. Where are you guys FINDING these "Mean Girls"? Are you turning over rocks deliberately seeking the worst of the female species upon which to base your opinion of all of us?

Not sure I agree with all of that, even though I don't think wealth is of much importance when attracting women. I think its pretty much common place, to see young women bragging and showing off their engagement rings, with a lot of feedback if the rock tends to be of decent size. We all have seen it, no need to deny realities.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:18 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftYouUp2016 View Post
Not sure I agree with all of that, even though I don't think wealth is of much importance when attracting women. I think its pretty much common place, to see young women bragging and showing off their engagement rings, with a lot of feedback if the rock tends to be of decent size. We all have seen it, no need to deny realities.
Yes, I've seen that. Generally, that's the woman feeling the man must really love her if he wants to give her the very best (certainly not necessarily accurate, but traditional - FTR, I sure didn't feel that way and the women I've known who literally showed off their rings to prove how much the man spent and not to say "look, I'm engaged, I'm so happy" is pretty freakin' minimal...I can think of...one? Maybe? Have to think back). That doesn't mean she requires tens of thousands of dollars of gifts daily. It means this particular item - an engagement ring - is that one "ultimate symbol" of love as far as something tangible/physical goes. It's not necessarily accurate, but it's tradition. It's a one-time deal (hopefully). And she's excited. She's engaged. Gosh forbid.

It doesn't mean she literally burst out laughing with her friends about how stupid it would be to love a man for whom he is. THAT'S just stupid. Full stop. I mean there's just no other way to describe it, it's ludicrous.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:57 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

Mod cut: orphaned.

There are men out there who feel they deserve a trophy, a beauty-queen type. These often are the same guys who complain bitterly about women being "high-maintenance" and demanding. Somehow they draw the conclusion that all women are like the ones they choose, instead of taking a close look at the choices they're making, and the need to re-order their priorities.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-04-2016 at 02:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships