Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 12:28 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
Pretty much all the somewhat attractive girls I know are in relationships
What about the millions you don't know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 12:38 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Much more comfortable trying to connect with people in a business setting than approaching women cold.
The cold approach doesn't have to be a big deal. Start out very casually, just testing the waters, with some idle chit-chat while in line for your coffee or groceries, or waiting for the bus. If she warms to the conversation, keep it going. If it seems to go well, ask for a number or ask to buy her coffee. If it doesn't work, rinse and repeat with the next female form that crosses your path. Don't think of it as putting yourself on the line. It's just being friendly. It should be routine, like striking up a convo about sports with the cashier at the liquor store.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:40 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The cold approach doesn't have to be a big deal. Start out very casually, just testing the waters, with some idle chit-chat while in line for your coffee or groceries, or waiting for the bus. If she warms to the conversation, keep it going. If it seems to go well, ask for a number or ask to buy her coffee. If it doesn't work, rinse and repeat with the next female form that crosses your path. Don't think of it as putting yourself on the line. It's just being friendly. It should be routine, like striking up a convo about sports with the cashier at the liquor store.

Exactly, I don't see why people don't get this. It's just a regular conversation.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 PM

39 posts, read 46,721 times
Definitely.Lately it's gotten to the point that it's so annoying to see happy couples outside that I have a sudden urge to throw something heavy at them.
But, of course I don't do that lol
Instead, I think "oh well, they'll probably break up next week anyway. Wouldn't wanna go through that, better be single."
Grass isn't always greener on the other side, it's just lawn paint.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:57 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,679,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is such an important point! To read C-D, you'd think that all women in their 20's are in relationships, and half the guys are desperately looking, and feeling sidelined. "Women can get sex anytime!", wail the men. "Women have a gazillion prospects!" they protest into the internet void.

Well, no. Women are going through the same thing men are going through. It's a human problem, not a problem limited by some cruel twist of fate to just one gender.

Dating For Free Online: Why it Doesn't Work - YouTube

So women get 100s of messages a day just on online dating, never the less any sort of real life attention, yet they're struggling through the same problems that men are struggling through?

Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,437,330 times
Quote:

So women get 100s of messages a day just on online dating, never the less any sort of real life attention, yet they're struggling through the same problems that men are struggling through?
I would bet at least a quarter of those guys just want to send her a picture of his penis.

Ruth is correct.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I would bet at least a quarter of those guys just want to send her a picture of his penis.

I've seen online dating experiments done with men posing as fake women on online dating sites and they receive plenty of attention from good looking normal men with good jobs

Sure a small percentage of the guys on that site are weirdos just looking for sex, but there are plenty of decent guys looking for a girlfriend so that's nonsense

A woman, assuming she at least takes decent care of herself, can go anywhere and find a boyfriend pretty easily

Old 11-11-2012, 03:24 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,437,330 times
Quote:
I've seen online dating experiments done with men posing as fake women on online dating sites and they receive plenty of attention from good looking normal men with good jobs
Posing as fake women?

Anyway, doesn't mean they're a match.

Quote:
Sure a small percentage of the guys on that site are weirdos just looking for sex, but there are plenty of decent guys looking for a girlfriend so that's nonsense
Nonsense? You agreed with me.

Quote:
A woman, assuming she at least takes decent care of herself, can go anywhere and find a boyfriend pretty easily
...provided they have similar interests, goals, etc.

If it were that easy, they wouldn't be on the net.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Posing as fake women?

Anyway, doesn't mean they're a match.

Nonsense? You agreed with me.

...provided they have similar interests, goals, etc.

If it were that easy, they wouldn't be on the net.

This is all a bunch of bullchit anyways

I never once said that all young decent looking women are super happy and content. There are super rich people out there who commit suicide. I just think it's ridiculous to compare the dating "struggles" of non fat women to men who do actually struggle. It's the equivalent of comparing the "struggles" of an upper class family in the suburbs to those of a family living in poverty in the ghetto. It's just a little silly, don't you think?

Women's dating struggles generally amount to "I can't find a man who is perfect in every way". Men's dating struggles often amount to "I can't find any woman who is not fat/disgusting"

Old 11-11-2012, 05:41 PM

803 posts, read 1,668,931 times
Yes, sometimes... I'm in my late 20's and almost everyone I know is married or in a serious relationship. I have felt a bit vulnerable/defensive at times when asked "why don't you have a girlfriend". Maybe some of these people are shocked because I have my together, have a steady/progressive career, educated, fit, attractive, etc.

I cope with it by just enjoying my freedom and making the most of my free time. Haven't had a girlfriend in my adult life, so I'm used to it.

Quote:
How do you guys deal with this? Do you ever feel like you're the only single person left on this planet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships