Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
What a catch these marriage warriors are. I pity the man who would marry them if they can even manage that.
Why a catch? Because I won't follow their agenda and do what they want??
I'm 25, not a high schooler that gets convinced easily by smooth talking.

Try imagining the very first time, a telemarketing called you and told you about winning the lottery and it was all false, then the next one and so on until you finally get smart and stop believing their nonsense. Or you know it from your friends and relatives and how they were fooled.

This is what's happening. We're tried of them trying to telemarket us...only to find out it's nothing but false promises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
For example, let's say a guy really spoiled his ex, buying her jewels, lobster dinners, etc. So he then gets a divorce and with his child support, alimony, etc he can't buy anything near that for a potential second wife, and instead she has to be happy getting fast food and dollar shows. I know to some that sounds greedy but if a man can't spend the same on a serious girlfriend what he spent on his ex, then that tells me he's someone to avoid. When he was with the ex, he didn't have another family to share his money but now he does. So he decides to look for a woman so desperate to marry that he realizes he doesn't have to treat her at all.

I'm not talking situations where a guy is struggling because he lost a job, etc but rather a guy has the money but is spending on his ex that he has little money left for the new girlfriend. I hope this makes sense.

Really? He's someone to avoid? I don't know if this is a common thought to the women that are out there dating or not (I don't date) but I never thought of this or heard of it before....

I am assuming he was buying lobsters, jewelry etc. because he had the money then but doesn't now due to the child support he's probably not paying, etc. This is just my personal opinion and maybe it is a naive one but I don't think you should even be looking at what all he can buy you. There so many other potential problems with men, him buying lavish gifts would be the last of my worries where they are concerned. Lets say he can't 'spoil' you with expensive gifts like the ex, but can help pay the bills, take you to normal dinners (not lobster, not Burger King, LOL).....that is not good enough then? I am just asking.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Why a catch? Because I won't follow their agenda and do what they want??
I'm 25, not a high schooler that gets convinced easily by smooth talking.

Try imagining the very first time, a telemarketing called you and told you about winning the lottery and it was all false, then the next one and so on until you finally get smart and stop believing their nonsense. Or you know it from your friends and relatives and how they were fooled.

This is what's happening. We're tried of them trying to telemarket us...only to find out it's nothing but false promise.
No. You're a catch because you can't see anything beyond a wedding dress. Now, you're whining on CD because no man wants you. I'm not surprised either.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Really? He's someone to avoid? I don't know if this is a common thought to the women that are out there dating or not (I don't date) but I never thought of this or heard of it before....

I am assuming he was buying lobsters, jewelry etc. because he had the money then but doesn't now due to the child support he's probably not paying, etc. This is just my personal opinion and maybe it is a naive one but I don't think you should even be looking at what all he can buy you. There so many other potential problems with men, him buying lavish gifts would be the last of my worries where they are concerned. Lets say he can't 'spoil' you with gifts but can help pay the bills, take you normal (not lobster, not Burger King, LOL).....that is not good enough then? I am just asking.
If he can't afford because he is struggling (non kids)then this is fine. The guy I am interested in has no kids but is struggling financially. However it wouldn't be fine if he had kids because I would always be angry that a guy spent money on his ex and kids but couldn't spend the same on me. I know jewelry and lobster dinners are the extreme of course and wouldn't expect those that often but if he would have the money without kids it would make a difference. I am coming at it from another angle because I dated a few dads and they were so broke from paying child support, alimony and mortgage that rarely did they buy me gifts, even at Christmas or my birthday, but expected me to do so for them and the kids.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
No. You're a catch because you can't see anything beyond a wedding dress. Now, you're whining on CD because no man wants you. I'm not surprised either.

Deciding cohabitation is not something you'd want to be involved with, when you'd rather be married -- is hardly 'can't see anything beyond a wedding dress.' Try again.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,089 times
Quote:
Why even assume I want a dress at all??
Honestly, I don't even like dresses (haven't wored one for 10 years and can't imagine myself on one). I would be fine just wearing a nice outfit; perhaps a blouse and a skirt or short pants and low-median size heels.
Thanks for jumping to conclusions.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:59 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
I'm 43... I have zero interest in being married.

I'll be your soulmate, I'll never ever ever treat you bad, I'll be there through thick and thin, I'll be there for the long haul.... I just have zero interest in the marriage thing...

Does this make me bad???????

Old 01-06-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

I'll be your soulmate, I'll never ever ever treat you bad, I'll be there through thick and thin, I'll be there for the long haul.... I just have zero interest in the marriage thing...

No it doesn't make you bad. There are many women who do not want to get married out there. But to me talk is cheap. The only difference between being married and claiming to be someone's soul mate/together forever, etc. is the latter can be washed away more easily then the first. They're just words. There is a 'permanency' (for lack of a better word) to marriage that is not there with cohabitation. I see men avoiding that permanency because they want to be able to wipe the slate clean of that woman AT WILL, with no strings attached. One foot in and one foot out cohabitation style, keeps him 'safe' to be able to do that when the time comes. I personally never had any interest in it because I see it for what it is.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Nope it doesn't, Chow. To each their own, and if you and your lady are happy with your arrangement that's all that should matter.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
I'm not interested in marriage or children at all.

[but if the right woman comes along I reserve the right to change my mind...]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships