Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 01:12 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
No it doesn't make you bad. There are many women who do not want to get married out there. But to me talk is cheap. The only difference between being married and claiming to be someone's soul mate/together forever, etc. is the latter can be washed away more easily then the first. There is a 'permanency' (for lack of a better word) to marriage that is not there with cohabitation. I see men avoiding that permanency because they want to be able to wipe the slate clean of that woman AT WILL, with no strings attached. One foot in and one foot out cohabitation style, keeps him 'safe' to be able to do that when the time comes. I personally never had any interest in it because I see it for what it is.
I've been with Mrs. Chow for 20 yrs.. we're not "married", but I think we treat each other nicely.........

I don't need a "license" from the state to tell me how to conduct my affairs.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've been with Mrs. Chow for 20 yrs.. we're not "married", but I think we treat each other nicely.........

I don't need a "license" from the state to tell me how to conduct my affairs.....

Hats off to you and yours. There's an exception to everything. As Bio said whatever works for you -- but those are my thoughts on cohabitation and what it really boils down to.

A marriage license should be put in the dresser drawer for safe keeping -- it's not instructions on how to conduct your relationship. The state doesn't come into your home to make sure you are following the 'rulebook' of marriage, LOL......As I said before it boils down to jumping ship at will and avoidance of permanency. If that's not you, so be it. But I think it's the majority of men who do not want to get married but instead push for cohabitation and 'soul mate forever' language.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
I don't think marriage is for everyone but both need to be on the same page. I would under no circumstances live with a guy or have kids without marriage.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:16 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,089 times
Quote:
I'm 43... I have zero interest in being married.

I'll be your soulmate, I'll never ever ever treat you bad, I'll be there through thick and thin, I'll be there for the long haul.... I just have zero interest in the marriage thing...

Does this make me bad???????
It doesn't make you bad but rather incompatible.
1) Total mismatched
2) Age difference

It was a nice try though but no where close therefore no cigar.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:18 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,089 times
Quote:

Yes, there are some women that don't want marriage and that's ok. If they're happy that way then whatever suits them.

What's not fair is when marriage-minded women get string along while he gets to do whatever he wants to.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
If he can't afford because he is struggling (non kids)then this is fine. The guy I am interested in has no kids but is struggling financially. However it wouldn't be fine if he had kids because I would always be angry that a guy spent money on his ex and kids but couldn't spend the same on me. I know jewelry and lobster dinners are the extreme of course and wouldn't expect those that often but if he would have the money without kids it would make a difference. I am coming at it from another angle because I dated a few dads and they were so broke from paying child support, alimony and mortgage that rarely did they buy me gifts, even at Christmas or my birthday, but expected me to do so for them and the kids.
If he is single, no children, I don't know why he's struggling financially? Student loans, credit card debts, low paying job/no job?

I still say you should forget about how much money is going to the wife and kids. If you agreed to be in the relationship with him, you had to know his money would be going for child support and alimony -- right? I would avoid him if his money was going out of the household and he couldn't contribute anything, all the bills were on me etc. but not because he couldn't buy gifts......

If they didn't buy you a gift but expected one, that is not right and they shouldn't be assuming you're going to buy gifts for their children either. I am not into the holidays or birthday gift stuff. I do know there's a lot of women that are into the holidays, decorating and gift exchange and it's important to them.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
If he is single, no children, I don't know why he's struggling financially? Student loans, credit card debts, low paying job/no job?

I still say you should forget about how much money is going to the wife and kids. If you agreed to be in the relationship with him, you had to know his money would be going for child support and alimony -- right? I would avoid him if his money was going out of the household and he couldn't contribule anything, all the bills were on me etc. but not because he couldn't buy gifts......

If they didn't buy you a gift but expected one, that is not right and they shouldn't be assuming you're going to buy gifts for their children either. I am not into the holidays or birthday gift stuff. I do know there's a lot of women that's into the holidays, decorating and gift exchange and it's important to them.
I can handle struggling financially but not because of child support, alimony, mortgage, etc. Part of it is also because then if we married it is possible that some of my hard earned money would go towards his kids or his ex too since some states (Illinois is one)will take new spouses salary in consideration. I have known new spouses that had to support the family because most of his money was going towards the kids and the ex.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I can handle struggling financially but not because of child support, alimony, mortgage, etc. Part of it is also because then if we married it is possible that some of my hard earned money would go towards his kids or his ex too since some states (Illinois is one)will take new spouses salary in consideration. I have known new spouses that had to support the family because most of his money was going towards the kids and the ex.
Yes I had heard some states were doing that and it's something to consider, I suppose. I do agree with you, that you shouldn't have to accept someone who cannot contribute to the household. If the situation were reversed, they wouldn't agree to help you as the single mother take care of child, Lord knows it's been said enough times on here and IRL. GN.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Hats off to you and yours. There's an exception to everything. As Bio said whatever works for you -- but those are my thoughts on cohabitation and what it really boils down to.

A marriage license should be put in the dresser drawer for safe keeping -- it's not instructions on how to conduct your relationship. The state doesn't come into your home to make sure you are following the 'rulebook' of marriage, LOL......As I said before it boils down to jumping ship at will and avoidance of permanency. If that's not you, so be it. But I think it's the majority of men who do not want to get married but instead push for cohabitation and 'soul mate forever' language.

Jeez.. Dolleyes... you're gonna get me all cuddly and start to like you now... watch out......

Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Yes I had heard some states were doing that and it's something to consider, I suppose. I do agree with you, that you shouldn't have to accept someone who cannot contribute to the household. If the situation were reversed, they wouldn't agree to help you as the single mother take care of child, Lord knows it's been said enough times on here and IRL. GN.
Exactly, most men would avoid me if I was a single mom because of the money, and rightfully so. Yet some of them would expect me to support their other family. I have seen or heard that most men who had first wives who were stay at home wives had second wives with careers. I think we can draw assumptions with that (meaning then someone else can help support them).

I am going to bed now and will pick this up tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships