Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 04:31 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I have a question.

Does physical attractiveness really matter at that age?

I mean, I know it still matters, but the same is your 20s and 30s?

I figure if I'm in my 50s and still single (very likely) that I'll put things like personality and trustworthiness and success and compatibility WAY above physical attraction. I mean physical attraction would be quite low on the list. Well, I do that now. But I was thinking that people in their 50s would think the same way. Not to say that you should find someone who is 500 lbs attractive. But I don't see too many women in their 50s where I say, "Ooh , she's cute." Maybe just a few. But like I said, looks in that sense probably wouldn't matter to me at all at that age.

I mean, most people that age, I wouldn't say they are unattractive, but they are not attractive in the same way anymore.

If I read your post without the first paragraph, I would guess you were in your 20s.
Looks do matter in the sense that I have to be attracted to someone, and he to me as well. There are lots of attractive 50, 60 on up, people. We take better care of ourselves with diet, exercise and common sense. I'm not looking for a guy with a 6 pack, but I don't want someone who is obese. But that's me and what I am looking for.

Attraction is just chemistry that works. It's different for everyone which is good or we would all be after the same people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Wow, that is pretty judgemental..2 "someone like yous" in one short paragraph. You know nothing about me at all, other than what I look at.

Not to worry though, I have got to get in the Jag and pick up Tiffany after her aerobics class.
LOL! I didn't mean to be rude. Hope that you and Tiffany are happy as clams together! Really, I do wish that for you.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria2013 View Post
I'm having a similar experience. I'd like to meet friendly folks between North Jersey and NYC, who just want to bowl, meet for brunch, etc. I'm not lonely either, but there are only a few things that I don't mind doing alone. Although I'd like to meet a nice guy, I'm not willing to put my picture on the internet using the dating sites. I'd prefer to meet someone while I'm out and about, who is attracted to me and take it from there safely.

Hey, I don't blame you about the internet thing. I have nothing against the internet dating sites, it's really just another way to meet people, but I would really like to meet someone through a mutual event like being members of a museum or a friend of a friend. Some common ground that is based on interest and not pressured to "date". Whatever happened to people going to dances and getting to know someone before they even dated? And while I would like to be married, I don't want to rush into anything. I want to date and go through that fun process of getting to know someone. I also don't want a guy who needs to be with me all the time. Yes, there are even guys that are like that. I want him to have interest (just not other women) and I can have my interests. Then we can come together at night for a nice dinner and a movie and discuss politics or world event or whatever. Is this too much to ask???

Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
I'm 36 and I would consider dating a woman in her 50s. The reason would be I would think they are way more mature and have put things like looks and leagues and treating people based on what they look like behind them.

Honestly, does it ever stop? I mean is there a 70 year old woman somewhere in a nursing home who turns down a great 72 year old guy because she thinks she's out of his league?

Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I'm 36 and I would consider dating a woman in her 50s. The reason would be I would think they are way more mature and have put things like looks and leagues and treating people based on what they look like behind them.

Honestly, does it ever stop? I mean is there a 70 year old woman somewhere in a nursing home who turns down a great 72 year old guy because she thinks she's out of his league?
I don't think it is that exactly...but, say I meet a nice guy, and we have nothing in common but being in the same nursing home? I should hook up with him because that is all there is?

No thank you.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 PM

18 posts, read 38,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
Hey, I don't blame you about the internet thing. I have nothing against the internet dating sites, it's really just another way to meet people, but I would really like to meet someone through a mutual event like being members of a museum or a friend of a friend. Some common ground that is based on interest and not pressured to "date". Whatever happened to people going to dances and getting to know someone before they even dated? And while I would like to be married, I don't want to rush into anything. I want to date and go through that fun process of getting to know someone. I also don't want a guy who needs to be with me all the time. Yes, there are even guys that are like that. I want him to have interest (just not other women) and I can have my interests. Then we can come together at night for a nice dinner and a movie and discuss politics or world event or whatever. Is this too much to ask???

That's not too much to ask IMO, but simple things like that seem to have changed in the last decade or so.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:23 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Will the lady who left me the very sweet unsigned rep comment last night please contact me via direct message?

Thanks!

To stay on topic dating does get more difficult as your age.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Maybe all the women over 50 who can't find men should hook up with all the men under 25 who can't find women ?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,468,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Maybe all the women over 50 who can't find men should hook up with all the men under 25 who can't find women ?
That's going a bit far. I'm doing just fine with the 40 somethings.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,179,691 times
Hmmm...sort of in the same situation. I'm 53 and a widower for little over 3 years...thinking about trying craigslist just as an experiment. Though I'm older I sort of have 'younger' interests...as in things I like to do...so could be fun just to see what responses I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships