Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:11 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,734,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieOca View Post

This is what I don't get. If a man had a promiscuous past, we should accept that it's in the past and forget it but yet a woman is branded for life and must lie her way through (by never revealing this) in order for her to form a relationship, get marry one day and have kids, even when she really changed and has been faithful since.
Who said anything about infidelity? Man's greatest fear - a woman who enjoys sex. Why? Because the presumption is future infidelity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,134,307 times
My views: Unless your sexual history is going to directly impact the new person you are with (history of STIs, children, etc), then your partner is not entitled to any information. And why even bother discussing numbers? What is the point? Things like that are trivial and existed much before the arrival of the new person in your life.

And why would one even want to know the number of partners their SO has previously had? What good does having that information do? Does it serve a purpose?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,477,498 times
She shouldn't tell him, and if it ever comes up, she should just say she's had enough experience to know she's made the right choice with him. Unless he's someone who really does not care but is still curious - even then it's best not to give him a chance to get upset.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
My take:

The best relationships are built on honesty, and there should never have to be an "oh sh*t" moment of disclosure. Too late now, but it would have been better to let that stuff out along the journey of getting to know each other. It's part of who each person is, and if it's a deal-breaker, then so-be-it.

Now you both have too much invested, and it's more complicated. I would not have a sit-down to tell him all the details, but if a chance came out to shed a little light, I think I'd do it. Just a little. (Like two poster's said on page one, it's a balance of "not telling" vs. "not lying", and if you aren't careful, those two things can be mutually exclusive.)

Old 01-14-2013, 06:22 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,305,687 times
I always am candid about my past. If the guy I'm with cant handle it, then it probably wont work out. Insecure men who cant deal with gf's who have a past, dont work well with me.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,818 times
What I told my now hubby:

"I've been with just enough to know what I'm doing.".

Only an insecure man would want an exact number, IMO. Every boyfriend that ever pressed me for an exact number turned out to be an insecure jerk.

I agree that unless STDs or a kid us involved, it doesn't matter.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,991,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Wtf 300?! Holy crap man.
I used to, in my younger days, go crazy at places like Nana Plaza in Thailand, La Dolce Vita in Cartatenga Club Florida in Nirobi, and the Cyclone in Dubai....like two or three times a day.

Not proud of it but on R&Rs from iraq and Afghanistan I went crazy.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
Over a long life I've never discussed "numbers" with anyone. I could only come up with a very rough estimate anyway. What I did when I was sexually active at different times in my life was all about the generation I was living in then and they were very different times. And I've never been asked the question by anyone I've ever been involved with, including spouses. Nor have I in turn asked it. Different sexual experiences have been discussed over the years in different situations but if I were in a serious relationship with someone and it failed simply because of a number count then it really wouldn't be so much of a loss as rather a disappointment that I'd misjudged the other person.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 AM

225 posts, read 344,834 times
The reason for knowing (or asking) someone's past can be to 1) pass judgement 2) take away from the other persons' irresponsibility by placing blame on the partner, <insert excuses here>, or finally, "Disease Control."

I wouldn't be with anyone that had been with 300 others, since chances are, each of those 300 were with at least 300 more. You can keep counting exponenially to determine higher numbers.

People used to be concerned only about HIV/AIDS. However, with survivors lasting in excess of 15 years, new focus is being placed on STD's. For instance, you can contract herpes and not know it for over 30 years! And, you may never get symptoms, but your partner might catch them from you and show symptoms right away (or not at all).

Herpes is incurable, doesn't necessarily have symptoms, and you can't necessarily tell when it's been spread.

While people should know about each other's pasts, it's up to them to decide if they want to know. It's not a touchy subject in my book, but others are totally clueless. I have been celibate for 20 years rather than run into someone who could give me something I don't want ..... and I don't trust many people.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,704,044 times
Im gonna have to say no on this one..for obvious reasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships