Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 PM

350 posts, read 383,699 times

Advertisements

I have this crazy notion to run this up the flagpole for comments.

I have an internet date on Saturday. I'm a pull the band aid off quickly kind of guy, so we exchanged a few emails, talked and set up a date for Saturday in rapid succession. I was actually shocked she wanted to do Saturday and wasn't prepared for it since so many people these days want to steer you towards a weeknight.

Being the pretty damn good cyber-sleuth that I am, I found out some things about her.

Against my better judgement, I am posting here. Why is it against my better judgement? Because I know you people are going to rip me a new one. Oh, hell! It's going to be amusing so here goes ...

Pros:

-An English major and I like liberal arts types
-Claims to be a serious Christian - We'll see - some people are the real deal, others try to overcompensate for their demons
-Her sister is a doctor ... I'm one of these apple doesn't fall too far from the tree types ... reverse guilt by association.
-Cute.
-Hit it off personality wise - I'm a funny guy and she loves to laugh
-Never married/No kids

Cons:

-Series of traffic citations including an OVI, and now "doesn't drink" (potential alcoholic?)
-Passing bad checks conviction (misdemeanor - not a big deal but still a red flag).
-Underemployed
-Profile exaggerates her income ($150k); Seeks similar income; (Golddigger)
-Minor tax lien issues in the past

I'm keeping an open mind, but thought it would be amusing to open this up for comments/slams or whatever comes to mind especially since the conclusion in the other thread I started was that I was too fat and nobody would want me. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 PM

322 posts, read 429,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon of Truth View Post
-Claims to be a serious Christian -

-Series of traffic citations including an OVI, and now "doesn't drink" (potential alcoholic?)
-Passing bad checks conviction (misdemeanor - not a big deal but still a red flag).
-Underemployed
-Profile exaggerates her income ($150k); Seeks similar income; (Golddigger)
-Minor tax lien issues in the past
Classic profile. Do you really need help with this one? Nothing but trouble!!!

I have some swamp land that I can give you a great deal on as well.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Wow.

That's all I have to say.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
You probably need to get a better understanding of all of the "cons" before you make some judgments.. sometimes things don't always look the way they really...

I've heard stories of guys being put on sex crime offender lists because they were 18 or so and dated girls that were just slightly underage.....

Things sometimes need clairity....

Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
This is the reason people say Internet dating sites are full of scammers and dysfunctionals. Really, do you even have to ask about this? Passing bad checks and liens? That's not just a red flag, that's a screaming siren strapped to her head.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
This woman's record, plus the fact that you pulled her record at this point tells me that you two should not even go out.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
This woman's record, plus the fact that you pulled her record at this point tells me that you two should not even go out.
LOL - I'm an information junkie. I pulled the records (what I could) of the chick I went out with tonight. Information is power.

The bad checks conviction is definitely a red flag, but also not as bad as it sounds. It is something that can probably be expunged.

I don't want to make any judgments before we meet, but just want to hear predictions more than anything.

I like her personality though, but that's what scares me. I do tend to get along with the kooks of the world and a lot of the AA types are indeed kooks (personality wise). I'm more worried about drug/alcohol abuse than anything else. In my experience, these people are unreliable and many of them are liars.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I think it's a good idea to run internet checks on people before going out with them.
Take each item one by one, and it might not be a big deal, but all taken together it doesn't look good. A couple of traffic citations isn't an issue, but OVI is more serious. Passing bad checks? What does that mean, exactly? It doesn't mean a check or two bounced, because no one gets cited for that. So what does it mean? The underemployment would explain the lien and the bad checks.... Does seem to be a pattern here...

The question is: how would you raise these concerns on a first date? You've done this research, now you're kind of stuck with the results until you can figure out how and when to bring it up.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 PM

322 posts, read 429,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon of Truth View Post
LOL - I'm an information junkie. I pulled the records (what I could) of the chick I went out with tonight. Information is power.

The bad checks conviction is definitely a red flag, but also not as bad as it sounds. It is something that can probably be expunged.

I don't want to make any judgments before we meet, but just want to hear predictions more than anything.

I like her personality though, but that's what scares me. I do tend to get along with the kooks of the world and a lot of the AA types are indeed kooks (personality wise). I'm more worried about drug/alcohol abuse than anything else. In my experience, these people are unreliable and many of them are liars.
Buddy, any time you have a self-proclaimed "serious christian" who has already has two police records, DUH!!!

THAT'S why she waves the christian card. People in business do this all the time as well. They think it will cause you to let down your guard. You are already being manipulated and you haven't even been on a date yet.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think it's a good idea to run internet checks on people before going out with them.
Take each item one by one, and it might not be a big deal, but all taken together it doesn't look good. A couple of traffic citations isn't an issue, but OVI is more serious. Passing bad checks? What does that mean, exactly? It doesn't mean a check or two bounced, because no one gets cited for that. So what does it mean? The underemployment would explain the lien and the bad checks.... Does seem to be a pattern here...

The question is: how would you raise these concerns on a first date? You've done this research, now you're kind of stuck with the results until you can figure out how and when to bring it up.
My research is used surreptitiously.

I keep it in my hip pocket and compare it to what comes out of her mouth. If she's honest about it, I might cut her some slack. If what comes out of her mouth is the opposite, then the alarm bells start going off.

Oh, and she mentioned that she's in some kind of a "support group" but then denied that it's anything bad. Yes, I realize another alarm bell.

But she was funny ... and cute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships