Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Most people are too emotional for that to work. It's a great disservice to men, this stereotype that we all disconnect sex and love. Sure, many do. Many women do, too. I think the majority of people want a lasting commitment and the whole FWB thing is a form of settling for less. We accept what we think we deserve. That FWB that you're having while you wait for Mr. or Miss Right will get in your way of finding him or her.

Of course, if you like the whole no strings thing and aren't using it as a holding pattern: Go to it. Just make sure everyone involved feels the same way.

My thoughts exactly.

Also, time you spend with the wrong person is time you could be spending out there finding the right one. I've never bothered with FWB, and never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
In my experience its very unlikely, for things to remain casual for long. The female particulary will develop "feelings" and want more.
So does the male. That's why these arrangements are god in theory, but don't always work out in practice. Theory doesn't involve the heart, and all those bonding hormones that happen in the male as well as the female. "Practice" does. Lots of guys get hurt this way. They think it's going to be fun, or easy-breezy, but before they know it, they've bonded with the woman, whether she likes it or not.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 PM

855 posts, read 1,385,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
In my experience its very unlikely, for things to remain casual for long. The female particulary will develop "feelings" and want more.

Now I've read on this forum, several people say they have had a FWB situation or f*** buddy, in some cases as long as 2 years. I find this very confusing, as in my experience as I said, its very rare.
Not always true Dave nz. There are women who may have several FWBs/BCBs(booty-call-boys) because she needs a variety of men to satisfy her sexual appetite. I've been one of those guys.

One FWB might not be enough. The women who get emotionally attached are the ones who start liking the guys personality, what he may bring to the table aside from the sex and who he is as a person rather than how he f**ks.

Don't kid yourself. There are nuff women who can easily detach any kind of emotional involvement when it comes to having friends with benefits. Cutthroat loving is what it is sometimes.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
One FWB might not be enough. The women who get emotionally attached are the ones who start liking the guys personality, what he may bring to the table aside from the sex and who he is as a person rather than how he f**ks.
Excuse me, but isn't that exactly what a friend with benefits is? Someone you genuinely care about and enjoy as a person, but who you also have sex with on occasion?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
That's easy enough. I'd prefer a relationship, but if a FWB is what I can find, I won't turn it down...

Then again, I haven't had a FWB yet, so...
I know that's the logic behind it but it makes you look bad.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 PM

855 posts, read 1,385,220 times
[quote=zentropa;28449020]Excuse me, but isn't that exactly what a friend with benefits is? Someone you genuinely care about and enjoy as a person, but who you also have sex with on occasion?[/quote]

You are excused.

I think it depends on how you personally define FWBs, but I can see your point. I think a booty call is for pure emotionless sex to satisfy the urges. You might not care about that person as deeply as the next but the sex with that person keeps you going back for more.

If I genuinely care about a woman and enjoy her as a person, that has more the makings and potential of leading to an exclusive, committed relationship.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:49 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
[quote=shortnblack;28451005]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Excuse me, but isn't that exactly what a friend with benefits is? Someone you genuinely care about and enjoy as a person, but who you also have sex with on occasion?[/quote]

You are excused.

I think it depends on how you personally define FWBs, but I can see your point. I think a booty call is for pure emotionless sex to satisfy the urges. You might not care about that person as deeply as the next but the sex with that person keeps you going back for more.

If I genuinely care about a woman and enjoy her as a person, that has more the makings and potential of leading to an exclusive, committed relationship.
But not everyone is in a position for a long term relationship. As we get older, growing kids, busy careers and needing/wanting time for ourselves may take precedence over the work needed to cultivate and maintain a serious relationship. Not everyone wants to be half of a pair and at times it is just not a priority. There is a season for everything.

I think women are more prone to this mindset than men, though.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:37 AM

541 posts, read 941,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
Well there are reasons for that. One a as men we are taught to suppress emotions at a young age, attachments can be suppressed similarly. Secondly it is easier for us to separate emotion from sex, ex. Guys have sex with women they are not even attracted to. The only cases I hear of the man getting attached is when he is really sexually inexperienced. lastly women have a ticking clock when it comes to having kids, that means they can't afford to do the fwb for too long..,they look at you as a potential mate more often. Men can keep it going forever and start a family whenever.

thats messed up in my opinion! I would understand if she was considered lower standards in his opinion than his previous relationship. Even thats messed up. I would never have a FWB with someone I wasnt attracted to. Why do men to that?

Old 02-28-2013, 03:46 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,432,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
thats messed up in my opinion! I would understand if she was considered lower standards in his opinion than his previous relationship. Even thats messed up. I would never have a FWB with someone I wasnt attracted to. Why do men to that?
Bc they are all warm and moist on the inside

Old 02-28-2013, 04:02 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
There may be some truth to what you say. But developing feelings for someone with whom you are intimate is pretty easy to understand.

To me, the much more interesting question is why so many men are so determined not develop any feelings in FWB situations. What is so terrible about developing a connection with another human being? Why isn't that a good thing anymore? Some of the best relationships I ever had (including my current one) began as FWB situations. They grew into more, because we both allowed that to happen.
There is something wrong with that if the one of them doesn't want that. What is so terrible as seeing things through as originally planned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Any FWB situation is going to run a high risk of deeper emotions and complications getting involved. The act releases hormones causing emotional bonding. It's biology, not some character defect.
So is it a character defect when you disconnect emotion from sex? Is it wrong to compartmentalize and organize your priorities and actions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships