Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:13 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I think if people stopped being so uptight about stuff like this, everything would be much easier and more fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I think the more things a person finds insulting the less likely they are ever going to find a mate.
Agreed with these two posts. People tend to be more likable in general and more attractive to the opposite sex when they loosen up, show their fun side, and not be so self-conscious worrying about what others think. Even if the person is dressed in an unusual way or doing some unusual activity, if they're truly enjoying themselves even in the presence of others, that's what counts. If they can explain or talk about their "unusual" thing without coming across as defensive or insecure, that's good too.

It's fine to be insulted by some things; I'm sure darn near everyone (myself included) gets insulted by some stuff. But wound-up people who get offended easily generally aren't as pleasant to be around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
People are going to judge you no matter what, because conformity is like a cult. <snip...>
This is true, and once this sinks in for some people, they'll realize that it's not worth caring so much about others' judgments. At that point things may start looking more favorable for them in the dating and relationship realm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Yes, it is an insult. And I've found it's reserved for a friend who's being a jerk about something, completely oblivious to their role, and then wondering why they're single.
I dropped that one recently on a Facebook friend...someone I knew back in high school but was never particularly close to. We had exchanged comments over time, and she just always had an attitude, about everything. She acted the same way with other people too. I honestly can't remember ever seeing her be nice or personable to anyone.

Anyways, after a rather interesting argument, she got the "this is why you're single" line dropped on her.

She had it coming.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times
I just tell them I'm smarter than them

Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I just tell them I'm smarter than them
But don't you actually want someone, though?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times
I do and I don't. I do because I like being part of a couple. I don't because I see what my friends are going through and I'm so glad I'm not a part of that.

I'm dating my cat right now and am perfectly happy with it

Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,944 times
not everyone was meant to be or should be in a relationship.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I do and I don't. I do because I like being part of a couple. I don't because I see what my friends are going through and I'm so glad I'm not a part of that.

I'm dating my cat right now and am perfectly happy with it
I feel ya. I'm about 90 days removed from ending a year long relationship. Miss the togetherness and companionship sometimes, but enjoy the lack of stress and freedom too.

I'm not dating my cat though...she's more like my kitty daughter.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,528,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I have gotten this saying a few times and a few variations; "that is why you are single", " you will always be single with that attitude", "when you end up old and alone".

I think pulling the single card is very bad taste for these reasons.

1. You do not know whether the person is even looking for a mate or even cares about finding a mate.

2. The person may have a emotional reason why they choose to be single. A bad marriage or relationship may turn them off dating, choosing not to replace a mate who has passed on, frustration with dating, etc.

3. Our society holds marriage and family up as the holy grail, which downgrades single folks already. Basically if you are single by choice or not by choice you are a loser.

So basically I think it is just an insult to say "why you are single."

Agree?
Its one of my favorite insults, especially when dealing with women of my race. LOL I have to admit it burns them a lot. But its always a last option over the B word. "thats why you are single" gets their gears turning like nothing else. HA HA HA

Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,528,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Does society really look down on single people?
I look down on single women of a certain age, but I really cant speak for society. In my experience nothing makes a woman HAPPY like being in a relationship, and I can tell the fake happy single ladies from the real happy ones in a relationship. I actually have more respect for a woman who displays her sadness for being alone/lonely over the actress who tries to act like everything is ok with that. I wouldnt even wish that misery on any woman.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I look down on single women of a certain age, but I really cant speak for society. In my experience nothing makes a woman HAPPY like being in a relationship, and I can tell the fake happy single ladies from the real happy ones in a relationship. I actually have more respect for a woman who displays her sadness for being alone/lonely over the actress who tries to act like everything is ok with that. I wouldnt even wish that misery on any woman.
So does this mean you believe single women should shack up with any man that comes along just to be 'happy'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships