Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Generally speaking, if I tell someone "this is why you're single" I usually mean for it to be insulting.
I can vividly remember how women at my job started to behave toward me when I started dating my girlfriend. It was like night and day, some of them no longer speak. Its ok to be a single guy but once you get a girlfriend that when you see the misery. Honestly most women who are single are so because of their own egos. It doesnt have anything to do with the available men, but of the new egos women have developed over the last 30 years. I always tell my male friends if she likes you DATE HER. Its always a win win. I only date women who like me first, ive done that for years. Im just one opinion though, I cant speak for society. Married women or ones in relationship just hold higher value to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Eh, I've been told that so many times it doesn't even have an effect on me.

"You're going to ComiCon dressed like April O'Neil? No wonder you're single"
"You don't wanna go out on Friday because a new video game came out? No wonder you're single."
"You're wearing heels out, you're already tall enough! No wonder you're still single"
"You're going to a Star Trek convention dressed like Ltn Uhura so you can get drunk and yell 'Course laid in, Captain' at guys and watch them get butthurt because that was technically Sulu's line...no wonder you're still single."

Ok.... in retrospect that last one may actually be a good reason as to why I'm single.

Actually after reading all this, I have to ask why are you single? You seem like a catch

Old 03-07-2013, 11:55 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Hell yeah!

Every time I express I'm not into (the stereotypical) family life, I get the condescending "you'll change your mind." I have half a mind to cuss that person out right on site.
Hah.
It's worse if you're a woman who is single/doesn't want kids.
I was sterilized in my early 20s.
There was a woman at work who (for years) asked me why I didn't have kids. I ignored her.
Then once, I was so sick of it, I told her that I tried for years but I'm sterile.
I sobbed, and told her it was her fault for bringing me so much pain.
Shut her right up. For good.

I heard something on Fresh Air the other day.
There's a guy who writes a "dear abby" type of column for an electronic age.
Anecdote:
His father committed suicide, after years of painful feelings and lying about his father's death, he was honest.
He told someone his father committed suicide.
The person gave condolences and asked so how did he do it?
And the writer replied: Why do you ask?

He found that to be the kindest way to tell people to shut the hell up.

I need to learn how to do that, I'm not that kind.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-07-2013 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I do and I don't. I do because I like being part of a couple. I don't because I see what my friends are going through and I'm so glad I'm not a part of that.

I'm dating my cat right now and am perfectly happy with it
Love it.
I'm dating my neighbor's two cats.
I know how you feel.

I feed them every day, but they don't/won't even sleep with me.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,494 times
Quote:
I have gotten this saying a few times and a few variations; "that is why you are single", " you will always be single with that attitude", "when you end up old and alone".

I think pulling the single card is very bad taste for these reasons.

1. You do not know whether the person is even looking for a mate or even cares about finding a mate.

2. The person may have a emotional reason why they choose to be single. A bad marriage or relationship may turn them off dating, choosing not to replace a mate who has passed on, frustration with dating, etc.

3. Our society holds marriage and family up as the holy grail, which downgrades single folks already. Basically if you are single by choice or not by choice you are a loser.

So basically I think it is just an insult to say "why you are single."

Agree?

I agree......I hate when people say I'm single because I'm a "single parent" when in actual fact being single is my own choice.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
So basically I think it is just an insult to say "why you are single."

Agree?
No.
I think your taking it too seriously.
Instead of wearing a stupid sign, your wearing a single sign.
Here's your sign!
Lighten up and laugh a little.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Actually after reading all this, I have to ask why are you single? You seem like a catch
I think it's about 50/50 with people either saying 'No wonder you're single' and 'how are you single?'. Interestingly, the last guy I went out said 'I can't believe someone like you is single' towards the end of our date. The next day he sent me the 'let's just be friends' text. So, apparently it's weird that I'm single, but nobody wants to date me

Old 03-07-2013, 03:17 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
I think it's about 50/50 with people either saying 'No wonder you're single' and 'how are you single?'. Interestingly, the last guy I went out said 'I can't believe someone like you is single' towards the end of our date. The next day he sent me the 'let's just be friends' text. So, apparently it's weird that I'm single, but nobody wants to date me
Yep. The old "I'd love to be with someone just like you (just not you specifically.)"

Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,890,425 times
Quote:
I equate it with when one goes for an interview, the employer says "wow your skills are impressive" then rejects you the next day. Never makes sense to me at all.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM

181 posts, read 192,220 times
My parents talk to me like that, so annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships