Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 12:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2012 View Post
I think that small talk is fine and some lines are just corny. Personally, I don't get what all this "staring" is about. In my experience, guys that look usually talk.
Maybe for you, but definitely not for me. I get stares constantly and very, very, very rarely will a guy even say hello to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscombobulateYa View Post
An even bigger question is: Why do women wear skirts,and shorts up to their crotches,and then get pissed off, or offended when you can't but help stare at them?
A glance or look is fine. Leering and staring is not. If you've stared long enough to elicit a response from her, you've been staring too long.

Can you seriously not help yourself? That's similar to an argument often used in rape cases...well, she was wearing a short skirt and was asking for it!! Have some self control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM

297 posts, read 502,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscombobulateYa View Post
An even bigger question is: Why do women wear skirts,and shorts up to their crotches,and then get pissed off, or offended when you can't help but stare at them?
It's hot out and there is a difference between looking and staring. Also, I have been "cattle called" while wearing a suit so some guys are just rude.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:44 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
A glance or look is fine. Leering and staring is not.

Can you seriously not help yourself? That's similar to an argument often used in rape cases...well, she was wearing a short skirt and was asking for it!! Have some self control.
I can't stand when people use this defense for rapists. Are we not allowed to wear what we want without fear of being accosted? We're supposed to have self-control and be able to behave in different situations.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I don't understand why men have to be so afraid to approach women- have some courage! Just be nice during your approach and don't come off as a jerk and you should be fine. Even if you're nice, and the woman is taken, she'll probably be nice in turning you down. What do you have to lose?
Your whole pre planned future?

I don't approach women because, I mean, what if she's "it"? I want to go to Vegas, I want to bum around in Hawaii, I want to stay out till 4 in the morning...

All that goes by the wayside when you're with someone because all of a sudden you're thinking in terms of 'we'. "We can't go to Hawaii because she gets really bad sunburn..."

Yeah, no thanks.

Still, women are very pleasing to look at. And....that comes with no obligation on my part.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 PM

249 posts, read 312,406 times
I love this forum. People just tell you like it is,and that's what I like about it. At first I was like: "Woe...easy killer". But now it's growing on me,and like it more. Shalom

Old 04-24-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Your whole pre planned future?

I don't approach women because, I mean, what if she's "it"? I want to go to Vegas, I want to bum around in Hawaii, I want to stay out till 4 in the morning...

All that goes by the wayside when you're with someone because all of a sudden you're thinking in terms of 'we'. "We can't go to Hawaii because she gets really bad sunburn..."

Yeah, no thanks.

Still, women are very pleasing to look at. And....that comes with no obligation on my part.
Maybe you can find a woman who likes the same things you do?

I'm planning on working at a horse ranch in Austria next year for 2 months and I'd love for a SO other to come along. I go to Vegas 3 or 4 times a year and party it up! Hawaii? Sure, my aunt and uncle live over there and I've got a few friends that live on Maui, let's go!

I know that's easier said than done...believe me... but I think at that point you'll know you've found a keeper because you want to do things together.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I can't stand when people use this defense for rapists. Are we not allowed to wear what we want without fear of being accosted? We're supposed to have self-control and be able to behave in different situations.
It's really messed up...and I can't help but think men are doing themselves a great disservice because they're essentially telling everyone that they're wild animals that can't possibly be in control of their own actions. I'd like to think they're better than that.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
No i don't think it is well put. Just because some guys don't approach women does not mean they are less masculine or pussified or that they do not know how to go after what they want and get it. Many guys simply see no reason to play the game or jump through ridiculous hoops. I never appoach women i do not know. Period. I will not violate someone elses personal space. Not because i am less masculine but because it is rude. Now if i happen to be somewhere and a woman is close by and a conversation starts naturally, fine. If not, that's fine too. I know other guys who feel this way too. Like all guys we notice attractive women however we also possess the ability to identify whether it will work out or not by observation. Ascension: just because a guy does not ascribe to your ideal of manhood it does not make him less of a man. Also when trying to make a salient point use actual words not crude slang.
I think we men have been sent confusing BS messages for many years from 'society', however you want to define that, and we should just be men and comfortable in our own skin. If I look and/or talk to a woman and she blows me off, so what? If she talks to me, great. If I hit on her she'll let me know one way or another if she's interested or not. It's fun.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Maybe you can find a woman who likes the same things you do?
Perhaps he wants to do those things by himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I think we men have been sent confusing BS messages for many years from 'society', however you want to define that, and we should just be men and comfortable in our own skin. If I look and/or talk to a woman and she blows me off, so what? If she talks to me, great. If I hit on her she'll let me know one way or another if she's interested or not. It's fun.
Agree. No one's going to die if some flirting goes on. Not sure why everyone acts so sensitive.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Perhaps he wants to do those things by himself.
Maybe I just misread his post, but it sounded like the hypothetical SO in his post would stop him from doing those things he likes doing and that's why he doesn't want to date anyone.

If he found someone who enjoyed the same things he did, he would obviously still be able to do them and maybe with a bit of companionship.

Doing them alone is kind of a no-brainer since he can do that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships