Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,613,818 times

Advertisements

I just realized something. I did propose to him already. One night before going to sleep I said "marry me" and he said "yes, I'll marry you". Then this week I said "OK what if we got married on so and so date, does that work for you?" And he said "yes, that's a good idea."

So I guess under normal rules, we are engaged minus a ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 01:18 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,385,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
For me a ring and proposal do not constitute being engaged.

Do you consider yourself engaged? Who gives a flip if other people think you need a ring. A ring is not a sign of commitment. It can be if you want it, but plenty of people get engaged and stay happily married without some silly ring.
How can you be engaged without a proposal?

Old 04-05-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I just realized something. I did propose to him already. One night before going to sleep I said "marry me" and he said "yes, I'll marry you". Then this week I said "OK what if we got married on so and so date, does that work for you?" And he said "yes, that's a good idea."

Woot!

Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
Does it really matter within the scope of your entire life?

Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,721,831 times
You're not engaged until he gets down on one knee, asks and gets a yes from you, then slips the engagement ring on your finger. But that's just my old fashioned opinion.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:32 PM

9,884 posts, read 14,150,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I set a date with my dentist for a cleaning, but I have pledged nothing to him. I might even cancel the appt. So where/when was the pledge made and accepted? Maybe I missed that post.
Just like anyone (with a formal "on one knee" proposal and a ring) can cancel a wedding at anytime.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:50 PM

Maybe I will ask my So to marry me with one of those little taco bell will you marry me packets.....

wahahahahaha

Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Maybe I will ask my So to marry me with one of those little taco bell will you marry me packets.....

wahahahahaha
I just spit my juice out laughing on that one, but that sounds like something one of us would do also. If I'm not mistaken you can also customize M&M's to say it also.

He was however adamant about no mangagement rings. That's drawing the line for him.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I just spit my juice out laughing on that one, but that sounds like something one of us would do also. If I'm not mistaken you can also customize M&M's to say it also.

He was however adamant about no mangagement rings. That's drawing the line for him.
Yea, I can present the pack and then if he says yes, I can say, "Ok, now we have to go shopping!" lol

Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,214,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
No, the definition of "engaged" is "pledged to be married; betrothed: an engaged couple. "

Nothing dictates anything about a ring.

Oh, and the definition of "proposal" is "the act of offering or suggesting something for acceptance, adoption, or performance" or " an offer or suggestion of marriage".

The sheer fact that the two of you set a date means there was a proposal.

"Honey, what do you say we get married on July 10th?"

"Yes, that works for me"

Prosal made, offer accepted.

Am I the only one who thought of this when I read that?

challenge accepted by daviper07, on Flickr

Quote:

Well, then yes, it sounds like you're engaged!

So, who's the guy--I thought I caught something about C-D being responsible for this? And when is the date? Huh, HUH? You know, so we can have a party on the chat thread for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships