Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 11:59 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

This thread is making me feel sad. Yes, I've given up on it, whatever, moving forward. I just try to get through life and have some fun while I'm at it. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's easy but I know how some of you feel.

The thing though is, while I accept it for me, it's painful to see that others have been treated so poorly or feel like it will never happen to them. Mightyqueen for example, saying that she will never know what it's like to have that, what it feels like...and you can tell it hurts to recognize that...GOD that makes me sad!

I wish all of you would be brilliantly surprised one day and find someone who adores you. Geez, at least let me live through you vicariously! Damnit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I'm 24 and never had a relationship. I try but it doesn't happen. I've tried multiple races and both genders but no luck. Dunno why .. So I have not given up but lowered my expectations
Ok, I'm sorry, but is that your photo in your profile? Because if it is, I fail to understand how you don't have a line of guys wanting to date you...or maybe there is but they're all toads...sigh.

Bah....sad thread is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 03:15 AM

67 posts, read 138,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

At the risk of repeating myself, I am NOT angry or bitter. I think it is partially my fault because I set very high standards for myself. Still, I understand we don't obtain everything we wish for, but I have learned to be grateful for I attained in life.
Oh no Clark! You do not come off the least bit angry or bitter. In fact, you seem more sane than most of the people I know and certainly have done much more in your life than most. How I wish to go on a grand trip like you did...

Everyone really needs to focus on what they have in life...

Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,659 times
Quote:
My travels have taken me to 85-90 countries on six continents. One memorable trip was a "grand tour" for 3 1/2 months throughout India, Nepal and Tibet back in 2006. The house is a three story "French Second Empire" 120 year old Victorian with six bedrooms.

Back on topic: I told the other guys in my group that not pursing a relationship at this point had a surprisingly liberating effect on me. There is almost a Buddhist lesson to be learned here ... that yearning and craving is a form of suffering, and letting go of those dreams have put me in a more serene place.
I think that it's just not Men but Women too, especially when we reach a certain age.

I believe that only you can fulfill your wants and desires. As a single person we can be happy and be fulfilled with our life. It always would of been nice to find that "soul mate" if they exist, but I like you are now in a more serene place since I stopped looking. Who knows maybe I will start up again when I move back to the States but it just didn't happen for me with Australian men.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I'm 25 and single. I like dating, but I haven't been in "love" with someone for a very long time lol

I haven't given up... just haven't met anyone that I like that much.

I think a lot more comes down to me not caring, and probably being too distant from people. I don't care enough to change though.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:50 AM

677 posts, read 1,193,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This thread is making me feel sad. Yes, I've given up on it, whatever, moving forward. I just try to get through life and have some fun while I'm at it. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's easy but I know how some of you feel.

The thing though is, while I accept it for me, it's painful to see that others have been treated so poorly or feel like it will never happen to them. Mightyqueen for example, saying that she will never know what it's like to have that, what it feels like...and you can tell it hurts to recognize that...GOD that makes me sad!

I wish all of you would be brilliantly surprised one day and find someone who adores you. Geez, at least let me live through you vicariously! Damnit!
Go tell that to people who have been married for a few years, listen to what they say and then see the rosy picture going down the drain. My brother is 29 and he has many friends in their 30s who are completely trapped, paying for a house, kids on the way. I wouldn't wish it to my worst enemy.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:

Ok, I'm sorry, but is that your photo in your profile? Because if it is, I fail to understand how you don't have a line of guys wanting to date you...or maybe there is but they're all toads...sigh.

lol not me, beyonce but i say i'm pretty close to her in looks

but yes its never guys i like.. its always criminals, misogynists, cheaters, or dogs.. none of which want to commit anyways, just want to put their thing in any warm hole that passes

Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I'm 24 and never have had a girlfriend. I've only began aggressively dating in the past year. I think I may not make it a priority in the near future depending on my job situation and getting into grad school among other stuff I need to focus on. You know if the right girl comes into my life at the right time, fine, if it never happens, I'm ok with that.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:51 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Oh, c'mon folks!!! I didn't set out to start getting people depressed.

Forgive me if I wax philosophical here ... but I happen to think life is wonderful and there is so much beauty in the world.

You know, I'm a very sensitive guy, and I could be moved to tears by a performance of Samuel Barber's Adagio For Strings or touched by the sadness expressed in the eyes of a portrait by Rembrandt of his mistress/second wife Hendrickje Stoffels. I can appreciate a well made cocktail and recite lines from Whitman's Leaves Of Grass.

I have been very lucky and blessed with many positive things ... I had the best and most loving, supportive parents one could have, excellent health, terrific friends and extraordinary opportunities to travel and experience real adventures! I love people, places and things!

At the risk of repeating myself, I am NOT angry or bitter. I think it is partially my fault because I set very high standards for myself. Still, I understand we don't obtain everything we wish for, but I have learned to be grateful for I attained in life.
You definitely do not come off as angry or bitter. I'm glad you found many things to appreciate in this life. In the end, what we are after is not any external object, but the experience of fulfillment.

Marriage, romance and the related are highly valued in many cultures, people would just look at a single person and then assume that there is sadness when that may not be the case.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:59 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:

Awwwww... Appreciate the kind words.

It may happen for me. My case is just everything else going wrong. I don't have much, but I just seem to be a magnet for the psychotic and the violent. I wish things could just calm down for a minute.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:15 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
yeah, i have pretty much accepted that fact. most people, i can only tolerate for a few minutes at a time, nevermind ''til death". i'm sure they feel the same way about me. and i'm okay with that. if my job situation improves, then i will consider a few casual dates here or there, but it is really not a priority. i've never had good luck with anything, so i assume the relationship thing will be the same. too much work. all the good ones are taken, blah blah blah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships