Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times

Advertisements

I went to my weekly rap group for men over 50 at a community center, and this topic came up. I thought it was interesting.

The question is: "Single people: have any of you given up on finding love or a committed relationship? Whether yes or no, please explain why."

I would love it if you would share your thoughts on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:58 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
I suppose I haven't since I still have some hope that women outside of where I live are different, but if I live where I am for the rest of my life, I won't find any woman for me.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 PM

845 posts, read 1,349,842 times
Yes.

For the most part, I have a kid to take care of. Aside from my full time job, she's part time and weekends with no overtime (time for myself).

More specifically, and not to make my daughter the only excuse, but I'm finding it be really tough to date outside of the above time constraints. I haven't dated sense I broke up with my ex, a little over nine years, and things have changed quite a bit.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 PM

I have given up.

In exactly one month, I will be 59. I decided after years and years of the futile and frustrating search, I will no longer seek a partner/companion/lover/spouse.

A few weeks ago I pulled all my listings and "profiles" off the dating websites.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not bitter. I am not angry. I maybe just a little disappointed, but I'm a big boy and I can handle that. You see, I set high standards for myself. In my adult life there were several who were interested in me and pursued me, but the feeling was just not mutual. There was one or two I was madly in love with, but my feelings were not reciprocated. (Karma I guess). My mother always told me it was best for young people before 30 to get married because after that people "people get set in their ways." I have become set in my ways. I enjoy my life, my friends, my travels around the world, restoring my big old Victorian house.

Now, however, my anthem is "I'll Say Goodbye To Love" which was so poignantly sung by the late Karen Carpenter:

"I'll say goodbye to love
No one ever cared if I should live or die
Time and time again the chance for love has passed me by
... and all I know of love is how to live without it ... "

Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,176,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I have given up.

In exactly one month, I will be 59. I decided after years and years of the futile and frustrating search, I will no longer seek a partner/companion/lover/spouse.

A few weeks ago I pulled all my listings and "profiles" off the dating websites.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not bitter. I am not angry. I maybe just a little disappointed, but I'm a big boy and I can handle that. You see, I set high standards for myself. In my adult life there were several who were interested in me and pursued me, but the feeling was just not mutual. There was one or two I was madly in love with, but my feelings were not reciprocated. (Karma I guess). My mother always told me it was best for young people before 30 to get married because after that people "people get set in their ways." I have become set in my ways. I enjoy my life, my friends, my travels around the world, restoring my big old Victorian house.

Now, however, my anthem is "I'll Say Goodbye To Love" which was so poignantly sung by the late Karen Carpenter:

"I'll say goodbye to love
No one ever cared if I should live or die
Time and time again the chance for love has passed me by
... and all I know of love is how to live without it ... "
Hey, I'll be 59 in June and enjoy world travel and restoring Victorian houses. I HAD given up for the last 6 years...but too bad you live on the other coast.

Just kidding. I feel very much the same way. At this point in my life I enjoy my friends, my young adult son (who lives in another state), traveling, and my hobbies. My marriage left me feeling constantly stressed and on edge as if walking on eggshells all the time. I, too, don't feel bitter or angry. On the contrary, living alone is a relief.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Well... Clark... I don't know what to say to you... you seem like a hell of a guy.... and I can't understand why you haven't met your match... I've read your postings for a while now and you strike me as a real solid guy... I'm really sorry it hasn't happened for you....

Old 05-02-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Hey, I'll be 59 in June and enjoy world travel and restoring Victorian houses. I HAD given up for the last 6 years...but too bad you live on the other coast.

Just kidding. I feel very much the same way. At this point in my life I enjoy my friends, my young adult son (who lives in another state), traveling, and my hobbies. My marriage left me feeling constantly stressed and on edge as if walking on eggshells all the time. I, too, don't feel bitter or angry. On the contrary, living alone is a relief.
My travels have taken me to 85-90 countries on six continents. One memorable trip was a "grand tour" for 3 1/2 months throughout India, Nepal and Tibet back in 2006. The house is a three story "French Second Empire" 120 year old Victorian with six bedrooms.

Back on topic: I told the other guys in my group that not pursing a relationship at this point had a surprisingly liberating effect on me. There is almost a Buddhist lesson to be learned here ... that yearning and craving is a form of suffering, and letting go of those dreams have put me in a more serene place.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:41 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
After I divorced it was about 8 years before I met my husband now, in that time I dated but not really seriously and thank goodness those I dated were not looking for serious relationships either so no one was hurt. We just went out to have some human contact and a little fun with the opposite sex. I never gave up on finding love I just waited until I met the right guy to even think about having a serious relationship with.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well... Clark... I don't know what to say to you... you seem like a hell of a guy.... and I can't understand why you haven't met your match... I've read your postings for a while now and you strike me as a real solid guy... I'm really sorry it hasn't happened for you....
Thanks, Chowhound. When I went to my 40 year High School reunion last year it was with a sense that I am very pleased with the way my life turned out. I mentioned my travels and my house - which, incidentally won an award from the University City Historical Society for the restoration work I've been doing just this last February; and will be featured on a House Tour on May 19th of historic homes in my neighborhood.

My attitude is this: we don't always get everything we want in life. Don't cry over spilled milk. Just get on with your life.

I was always a very romantic person. I think I was greatly influenced by all those Hollywood Movies, all those love songs and poems, Broadway plays, TV, etc. about love. For more than 40 years a lot of my focus was on finding love. Yes I feel a sense of liberation, but I cannot deny I feel just a wee bit depressed about it as well. It's a cliche, but if life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 AM

15 posts, read 19,297 times
I'm no where near 50. But I will most likely have to settle for a friends w/ benefits arrangements. No man wants to be seen out in public with me or take me anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships