Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 05:38 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This is one of those cultural issues.

In Nyc,you don't EVER look at anyone for anything.
I notice people from other parts of the country are saying take it as a compliment or they probably aren't thinking about you,they just happened to look in your direction.
Butits pretty rude to look at anyone in Nyc.
^^^This. Not just NYC. A lot of very large cities... you don't make eye contact unless you have a problem with the person or you're interested. It's a deliberate message. There's not a lot of privacy afforded in a tightly packed city. One of the ways of coping is giving people space. Such as, avoid eye contact unless you are thinking of approaching someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 05:40 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
Definitely more entertaining than the ladies with attitude who stand, watch, admire themselves and do nothing but get their egos fed by the guys who approach them.

Sometimes I wish women were a little bit more brazen when approaching guys instead of counting and waiting on how many guys they can stamp with the "creep" label who hit on them.
^^ I agree. Women will brazenly approach men though, it's just much more of a rare/hidden event. Talk to a celebrity tour bus driver, get backstage at a concert, or some type of event where high status guys are and you will see good looking women behaving in outside of their normal behavior just to get to the guys they want.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:47 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
^^^This. Not just NYC. A lot of very large cities... you don't make eye contact unless you have a problem with the person or you're interested. It's a deliberate message. There's not a lot of privacy afforded in a tightly packed city. One of the ways of coping is giving people space. Such as, avoid eye contact unless you are thinking of approaching someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This is one of those cultural issues.

In Nyc,you don't EVER look at anyone for anything.
I notice people from other parts of the country are saying take it as a compliment or they probably aren't thinking about you,they just happened to look in your direction.
Butits pretty rude to look at anyone in Nyc.
Hmmm, I make brief eye contact with strangers when I'm out on the street because I want the other person to know that I'm not afraid of them and that I see them. As a male, it's seen as weak if you walk around and you don't make eye contact with anybody.

As a matter of fact, the quickest way to make yourself a target for robbery, or whatever, is to not be acknowledging other people and looking around. The more you look around and make others aware of you the less chance somebody will bother you.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:55 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Hmmm, I make brief eye contact with strangers when I'm out on the street because I want the other person to know that I'm not afraid of them and that I see them. As a male, it's seen as weak if you walk around and you don't make eye contact with anybody.

As a matter of fact, the quickest way to make yourself a target for robbery, or whatever, is to not be acknowledging other people and looking around. The more you look around and make others aware of you the less chance somebody will bother you.
I look in their direction, but I don't make eye contact. I've been safe enough so far, knock on wood.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycruben87 View Post
Hi there, I'm a 26 year old Latino guy from New York City and I'm constantly getting hit on by gay men> This happens mostly on public transportation (subways and buses) and its getting annoying, not to mention I get offended by it because I'm totally straight and I have no interest in men at all. Any advice on what to do to prevent this? Or maybe its something on the way I dress that's giving off a false vibe to those people? I really don't know why this keeps happening to me but its getting annoying and one of these days I'm gonna end up cursing one of those guys out in front of everyone. That's how annoying this is starting to become.

Oh and please if ya gonna comment this, don't give me no stupid/dumb or irrelevant comments, if you're the one to comment BS I would prefer you keep your comments to yourself. Thanks
I you were a woman this would be called "Sexual Harassment." By which it tends to mean the woman doesn't like the man making the advances. If she was attracted to him then it wouldn't sexual harassment in her mind.

You're a similar predicament because you're not gay and therefore are not attracted to any of the men making advances on you.

Homosexual men are like heterosexual men: they are de facto sexual predators for lack of a better term. What I mean by that is not to suggest they are criminal or deviant. What I am trying to say is they "pursue" sex and people they are sexual attracted to the way heterosexual men do women.

According to the studies done on this, from what I've read in a book at least (on the subject of the Red Queen hypothesis), homosexual men tend to have far more sexual partners than either heterosexual men or lesbian. The reason is kind of self explanatory: men are less discriminating than women and therefore men that are attracted to men, these men when meeting each other, will be far more likely to have one night stands or multiple partners.

What I'm getting at here is that there seems not to be much you can do (non-aggressively) from discouraging gay men in NYC from hitting on you. Since you are a male--and no masculinism movement exists to counter feminine--few to no women and men will regard your situation of unwanted hits on you as being sexual harassment. They may tell you to "enjoy it."

Can you imagine doing the unPC thing of telling a woman to "enjoy" the advances men make on her on public transit?

Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You need to lose the assless chaps.
LOL. This was pretty funny I must admit. Kudos.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:36 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Gay men wanting you ie a good thing. It means you are attractive and exude masculine energy. Men approach suitors and women typically don't; if men are approaching you it.means you are.hot. everytine a man looks at you as a sexual object, approach a female you find hot. You look good that day and may as well use.it

Old 05-27-2013, 06:09 AM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Just tell them "Sorry, I already have a boyfriend".
Lying is never cool.

To the OP - I didn't read all the responses but my advice is to not look at them. More important, never make eye contact. I have the feeling you are doing this and giving the gay guys interested in you mixed signals.

So what if they are checking you out. They are strangers that you will never see again. Just look in another direction.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:36 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Stop shaving your legs.
HEY!!!! Some of us CAN'T grow hair on our legs...should we be put on display in a public forum and used as an object of ridicule?I think not..........................

I can't help with the OP..I've never been hit on by a gay man to my knowledge,but I have a buddy who is a gay magnet for some reason...don't really understand it,but I do find it hilarious

Last edited by Swampmonster; 05-27-2013 at 06:45 AM..

Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycruben87 View Post
... one of these days I'm gonna end up cursing one of those guys out...
Watch out now! Some of those gay men know how to fight, and you can't even handle a stupid stare, so, you know... Maybe you better just keep it movin' and put that tough guy sh^t outta your mind. I don't want you to look embarrassed after getting beat-up by some gay dude. That's all I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships