Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,174,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Well tell me why she didn't respond back when I said APT? lol
This does not necessarily mean she is materialistic…

I think in general when we start speaking to other people we tend to ask questions to get to know them better?
I THINK that there are many of us that are already conscience of what we are looking for which is ‘Stability”

This is different from materialistic…For I.E. I have my own home, I make my own money, I can take care of my son and myself…
But I am also 39...Age has a lot to do with it…
I do not care to be in a relationship with a man who is not stable and down the road he will expect me to carry him financially as well…
This has more to do with the way I was raised more than anything and the morals and ethics that were instilled in me…

I do not care if a man resides in a condo or apartment so long as he has his own space, this is the way it should be ideally…

So yes, I would ask if you live on your own …Men have also been known to ask this question FYI since they have expectations of their own…You know, them expecting a woman they choose with to have something going on for herself ….It is the same thing, so why would this shock you?

Just because she chose to not to respond to you after you told her you were moving into an Apt does not mean she is materialistic or may feel she has a golden vagina her expectations are different and this is neither here nor there…
You were obviously not what she was looking for and should move on instead of making assumptions…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 02:42 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,762 times
If a man asks you over to his studio apartment, you're essentially hanging out in his bedroom, which can be awkward if you're not ready to become intimate.

It would also not inspire confidence in me that a man was financially stable enough to support himself--let alone that he could potentially contribute substantially to the household income should we wish to get married and have children in a few years. This doesn't make a woman a gold digger, it makes her practical.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:00 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,746,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
If a man asks you over to his studio apartment, you're essentially hanging out in his bedroom, which can be awkward if you're not ready to become intimatel.
Good point. I remember when I was a kid, my mom mentioned how glad she was when her company's travel dept booked her into a hotel suite or an extended stay hotel (with a bedroom that was separate from the living/office area, that could be closed off). This was so, if she needed to conduct business with any male colleagues, the environment was kept more professional... And without a bed sitting inches away.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Wth is wrong with just asking a question?

Love how you inferred it meant she was doing a wallet biopsy.

Someone tells me they are moving (anyone), I'd say, "Oh, cool...where to? You gettin' a house or what?" Just to be polite and appear interested.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:53 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Having just moved into my first house, I would ask that question if I knew the guy had a good income that would allow him to buy a house. Being a new homeowner is terrifying and awesome at the same time - I'd love to compare notes with someone else in the same situation on how they handle certain things that come up and whatnot. It's a conversation starter. RELAX.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
I think in general when we start speaking to other people we tend to ask questions to get to know them better?
Yes, this is what most people do when dating, but not WPD. He says people on dates should only talk about things like sports and television, not each other. He interprets any personal question, even the most basic and standard ones, as an interrogation or attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
I do not care to be in a relationship with a man who is not stable and down the road he will expect me to carry him financially as well…
This is what I've found with many women. In the modern era most are not looking for a man to support them, because they can support themselves. They're just looking to make sure they don't have to support him.

The few women who are looking for a man to support them are seeking out the rich guys, anyway, or better yet going to the "seeking arrangement" Sugar Daddy / Sugar Baby website. Regular guys like me and WPD don't really need to worry about them, because they're not interested in us, unless we're pretending to be rich.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:11 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wth is wrong with just asking a question?

Love how you inferred it meant she was doing a wallet biopsy.

Someone tells me they are moving (anyone), I'd say, "Oh, cool...where to? You gettin' a house or what?" Just to be polite and appear interested.
Apparently he thinks the proper response to someone telling you they're moving is, "Okay, that's nice," with zero follow up questions and an awkward silence before you resume talking about TV shows and sports teams.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:44 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
How is she supposed to know you haven't saved money? I'm assuming on your first date you didn't say, "Hi, nice to meet you, I'm completely broke." In that case, I agree that it might have been silly of her to ask if you were upgrading your living situation.

Many people who live in studio apartments do so because they're saving for a down payment on a house. It's not a ridiculous question. If the answer is no, just tell her no. Not everything is a personal attack against you.
With mortgage rates at all time lows, it's not silly to think a middle-aged man is moving into a house. The money you paid your new landlord to move into another apartment, could have gone toward a down payment on a condo, or small home. Just think, if you stop purchasing those 100.00 AM EX gift cards for the ladies you find on CraigsList, a house might be within your grasp.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:56 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
We met on OKC and I told her I was about to move in a few weeks and she then asked me............................................."AR E YOU MOVING INTO A HOUSE?

Now not only do women want you to live alone, but you have to be in a big a$$ HOUSE. LOL

The last time I checked a studio apt was a lot better than

My Mom's house
Homeless Shelter
A roomate

Dating continues to be crazy in philly.
PhillyDude, you seem stressed by online dating and the accompanying stupidity. Maybe you should take a break and try real-life interactions.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:15 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Conversation is about responding to what the other person said.

OP, if you didn't want to tell her that you are moving into an apartment, you should not have mentioned that you are moving. When you say you are moving, that indicates that you wish to talk about it. The most common response you are going to get to your statement that you are moving is "Oh, where to?"

That does not mean that the person you are speaking with has even the slightest interest in where you are moving to. They are just giving the correct social response to your indicating that you wish to speak about your move.

She might have smiled and said "are you moving to a house?:" But what she was thinking was "Gee, I hope this guy doesn't try to get me to help him pack and carry boxes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships