Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:18 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,904,821 times

Advertisements

I had the radio on and the old song Love The One You're With came on the radio. Basically the verse of the song is "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with" which made me wonder. Let's say you're at a party and there are two people there of the gender you prefer. One of them you click with big time only it's in your head. This person is exactly the person you want, only they tell you they aren't interested. Maybe they have a SO or busy with work or whatever. However someone at the party is interested in you but you aren't into them. They aren't your physical type or their morals don't fit with yours.

Anyway, my question is would you go on a date with the person who really likes you or wait for the person you like to come around? in the past I have done both so no idea what I would do. My cynical side says I would use the person who really likes me hoping something develops but my non cynical side says I probably would politely reject them and instead of wait for the other person try to meet someone else.

Just a random thought that doesn't in any way pertain to me but did often while looking for the one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 09:23 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,920,002 times
Good post Iddy!

I think I would be estatic that someone finds me interesting.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:23 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,815,284 times
It's just a date. If you have nothing better to do and you have any interest, date them.

The whole Love The One You're With? No. Do not just Love the one you're with. That's a recipe for disaster.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:25 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,218,140 times
Neither.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:29 PM

In a strange irony this did happen to me about 15 years ago at an event (not a party)where this one guy was really hitting on me and begging me to date him and there was another guy there who was basically ignoring me. I never did find out what the one guy thought of me but assume he wasn't interested. The one guy who was interested I did go on a date with and thought he was a nice guy but no chemistry. He did eventually marry someone.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,398,394 times
I would say give the person who's interested in you a chance (unless you have some other decent reason not to) by dating them. But that's only if you have the self-discipline to ensure you do not take it to another level any time soon. You should only become sexually active or commit to a relationship with this person if and when you feel confident you could be happy with them for the rest of your life. You are only dating them to find out just how compatible you are, as this should be the natural understanding of the dating game in the first place.

If you think you wouldn't be able to stop yourself from jumping into bed and/or a committed relationship with them within the first week of dating, you should pass at least for the time being.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Good post Iddy!

I think I would be estatic that someone finds me interesting.
Thanks, I thought this would be an interesting topic because this has to happen quite often. I suppose the closest many probably come to this is online dating, that seems to be common.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:33 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
If you have someone you love who loves you then there is no real reason to date anyone else especially if you have already decided that you are going to get married even though there has been no proposal or engagement ring yet.
It really is not very Catholic like to be voluntarily bethrothed to one man and still seek the attention of other men.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you have someone you love who loves you then there is no real reason to date anyone else especially if you have already decided that you are going to get married even though there has been no proposal or engagement ring yet.
It really is not very Catholic like to be voluntarily bethrothed to one man and still seek the attention of other men.
This isn't about me at all, I just thought this topic is something that popped in my head.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,677,744 times
If you are already committed then love the one you're with. If you are single, then wait until you fall in love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships