Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 01:42 PM

211 posts, read 373,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I disagree. I find dating women I meet online to be just as likely to be fun and have "sparks" as dating women I meet any other way.
I just dont get that one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 01:47 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,603,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion_Exchange View Post
I just dont get that one
Maybe you can help me understand your point of view. For you, what makes the energy on a date different due to the way you met? I find that how I met a woman doesn't really matter so much. We're either going to have a connection on the date or we're not; whether we met at a bar, or party, or work, or dating website, or social network, or whatever. The only thing the internet changes for me is increasing the size of my pool of potential dates. Once we're actually on the date, it's the same as any other first date, really.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:01 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
Quote:
Maybe you can help me understand your point of view. For you, what makes the energy on a date different due to the way you met? I find that how I met a woman doesn't really matter so much. We're either going to have a connection on the date or we're not; whether we met at a bar, or party, or work, or dating website, or social network, or whatever. The only thing the internet changes for me is increasing the size of my pool of potential dates. Once we're actually on the date, it's the same as any other first date, really.
Its difficult to even get responses on dating sites, of course its difficult in real life too so if your not hot your going to have just as much of a hard time on a dating site as you would in real life. Just becuase there are profiles like a cataloug does not mean you have better access to women to date.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM

211 posts, read 373,350 times
Quote:
I get what your saying. But the thrill and excitement of approaching a stranger and talking and hitting it off and going on a date, etc. to me is an amazing experience. With online dating you are seeing a picture on a screen.. a complete detailed description of that person.. their likes.. their dislikes. It really takes away from the initial bonding and chatting that comes with the first few dates of meeting someome in real life. But you are right that the online pool is bigger. I dont have a problem with online dating. I just prefer offline. I met my gf in a bar and I have no doubt she is the one for me. I plan on proposing at the end of the year when we vacation in Latin America

Old 08-28-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Its difficult to even get responses on dating sites, of course its difficult in real life too so if your not hot your going to have just as much of a hard time on a dating site as you would in real life. Just becuase there are profiles like a cataloug does not mean you have better access to women to date.
Sure you do. Even if you get turned down by 90% of women, that leaves 10% of an online pool of thousands of women, which is way more than 10% of a pool of 10 women you might encounter in day-to-day life (or even 100-200 women if you're a social butterfly).

Last edited by nearnorth; 08-28-2013 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion_Exchange View Post
I get what your saying. But the thrill and excitement of approaching a stranger and talking and hitting it off and going on a date, etc. to me is an amazing experience.
This is probably a personality difference between us, then. I get no thrill from approaching and talking to a stranger. I find it awkward at best, and almost never do it. I can probably count on one hand the number of women I've met at a bar and dated. Most of them approached me first, and the quality was way lower than the quality of women I've met online. I can see how, for guys who are interested in (and good at) the bar pick-up thing, online dating might not be as much fun.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 PM

330 posts, read 545,295 times
Nothing wrong with online dating... but seriously, if the guy's not available to meetup in real life within a couple weeks, it's a major red flag.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:40 PM

702 posts, read 727,133 times
Online dating is great. You just have to be smart about it. And picky.

The odds are good but the goods are odd is always true as well.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:54 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
This is probably a personality difference between us, then. I get no thrill from approaching and talking to a stranger. I find it awkward at best, and almost never do it. I can probably count on one hand the number of women I've met at a bar and dated. Most of them approached me first, and the quality was way lower than the quality of women I've met online. I can see how, for guys who are interested in (and good at) the bar pick-up thing, online dating might not be as much fun.
Chatting with strangers doesn't have to involve bars. Strangers cross your path all the time, as you go about your day, or in your weekend activities.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Chatting with strangers doesn't have to involve bars. Strangers cross your path all the time, as you go about your day, or in your weekend activities.
Of course. I've dated from that pool, too. It's just a way smaller pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships