Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 12:51 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I feel like what you just described is what can make online dating hard: it becomes more akin to shopping for a person and when you don't have that instant connection right away then people immediately discard that person in search of that.
That's why online doesn't work for me. Yes I do have a physical type in mind but would not reject a man who doesn't fit it. I have dated men not my physical and some were great. However there are types that really do repulse me and likely wouldn't date online but may consider offline. I normally looked at the profile first and then the photo because my morals are more important than looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 02:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Peppers View Post
Most women get a lot of responses, sometimes hundreds. Even average-looking and slightly below average-looking women get masses of messages per week. Believe me I have made fake accounts possing as an average-looking female(s) and I was blown away by the amount of volume I was getting. Sometimes over 50 messages a day. God knows what the really hot girls get.

In the 6 months I was on Plentyoffish I got maybe 5 unsoliciated messages, all from obese women. I had a real good profile with an up to date picture, don't think I'm that bad looking guy but obviously average.

For the average guy that doesn't like to beg and face 1000 snubbed messages before he gets a reply it is pointless.

A good looking hunk or male model will not have any trouble WITH WOMEN SENDING 1ST CONTACT MESSAGES.

Women on dating sites are holding out for the best looking guys because they can afford to filter like that. The high male sex drive and lower standards makes sure very few women go un-messaged.
I've been on POF for a little over a month now and have received less than 10 messages total. I've been on OKC for a few months now (on and off) and the last message I received was nearly 2 weeks ago. I also send out a lot of messages and rarely receive a response.

Either I'm just suuuuper unattractive or I'm doing something wrong.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:31 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've been on POF for a little over a month now and have received less than 10 messages total. I've been on OKC for a few months now (on and off) and the last message I received was nearly 2 weeks ago. I also send out a lot of messages and rarely receive a response.

Either I'm just suuuuper unattractive or I'm doing something wrong.
Have you tried doing a free trial of a paid site?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Have you tried doing a free trial of a paid site?
I've done the little 'eharmony'/'match' free weekends and whatnot, but they usually want your credit card info before giving you the 'free trial' and I'm not going to do that.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:37 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
I didn't have luck either. I tried Match years ago and met a few but no relationship.Tried CatholicMatch, met a great guy who would be perfect if he was older and lived closer. Tried the various free sites and met a few losers and one guy who told me he felt no chemistry after our first (and only)date. I got a lot of responses, this is true but most were either looking for sex or men I wasn't open to (namely dads and much older).

Last edited by Idon'tdateyou; 06-23-2013 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-23-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I've done the little 'eharmony'/'match' free weekends and whatnot, but they usually want your credit card info before giving you the 'free trial' and I'm not going to do that.
I think it would be worth it for you to give it a shot, and if you're worried about security concerns you could get a pre-paid card, and remember to cancel it before the free trial expires...

Old 06-23-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I think it would be worth it for you to give it a shot, and if you're worried about security concerns you could get a pre-paid card, and remember to cancel it before the free trial expires...
I'm not going through that much just to get a few dates. If I can't even get more than a few messages on a free site that is KNOWN for women apparently getting hundreds of messages a day how is paying $40 a month going to help?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I'm not going through that much just to get a few dates. If I can't even get more than a few messages on a free site that is KNOWN for women apparently getting hundreds of messages a day how is paying $40 a month going to help?
I am not suggesting paying 40 a month, I am suggesting the free trial + cancel, making it an actual free trial. The paid sites should have a bigger pool of quality men not looking for just sex, so you ought to give it a try.

Also, hundreds of messages a day might be a lil exaggerated...
...Right?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I am not suggesting paying 40 a month, I am suggesting the free trial + cancel, making it an actual free trial. The paid sites should have a bigger pool of quality men not looking for just sex, so you ought to give it a try.

Also, hundreds of messages a day might be a lil exaggerated...
...Right?
They may have a bigger pool of quality men, but if the lower quality men on the free sites aren't interested, why would the 'higher quality' men be interested in me? I'd go for the paid site if I was getting a ton of messages on the free sites but not finding anyone I connected with... but since that's not happening I doubt the pay site would be any better.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:39 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,603,533 times
Quote:
If you're not getting bombarded by messages from men on a free site, assuming you are relatively young and not obese, you are doing something wrong with your profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships